See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed February 22, 2015

The hotel had been booked for me last minute and was the last room left in Macon at the time. I was there on a short stay for a conference from 4 to 6 February 2015. I was initially worried about staying here after seeing the photos here but was pleasantly surprised on arruval. The hotel has undergone major refurbishment and found the lobby and room to be brand new on arrival.

Staff was very friendly at check in and fluent in English. My room had a sloping ceiling and low beams which together with the skylights gave it a quirky charm but I was lucky I'm not very tall as other people would have constantly banged their heads on the beams! No external facing windows other than the skylights which wasn't really a problem for me. These had electric blinds which were operated by remote control. Facilities were very basic but good standards throughout. Room had no phone so couldn't request a wake up call but plenty of sockets to charge all your gadgets.

Breakfast was continental buffet and although the serving area was small it was varied with a choice of bread and pastries, cold meats and cheeses, hot drinks, cereals and fresh orange juice.

In summary don't let previous photos fool you, the hotel basic but clean and as new.

Stayed: February 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed January 11, 2013

An ideally situated hotel just a few yards from the pedestrianised area an station.We have stayed here twice..the reception has always been friendly; the rooms clean, quite adequate if on the small side and sound proofed from the outside but not always from above! The bath/showers are in the process of being updated but still provided plenty of hot water. Parking was easy in the close vicinity. Plenty of restaurants nearby...we went to Autre rive across the river.. Excellent!
Ths hotel suited our purpose very well.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2012

My wife my daughter my son in law and myself stayed in the Hotel Geneve for one night as part of a 5 day road trip to Europe. We arrived in good time and though offered private parking for a fee we found ample street parking in a side street along from the Hotel, The concierge was a very pleasant fellow and we where given rooms next door to each other on the third floor. The lift was very small so we reached the rooms by a warren of stairs The best way to describe the rooms is quaint but as we where price driven we didn't mind. the bed was low but comfortable the street quiet and we slept very well. The bathroom was clean and had a powerful shower but didn't have a hold point on the wall that had I been staying longer I would have made a fuss about. As it was we managed fine. The view out of the shuttered window at the distinctly French building opposite was nice too. Breakfast was quite good for E8.50 in a pleasant dining room with all the usual croissants, bread, cheese, cereals juices and coffees. We had a lovely evening eating out and exploring the beautifully lit bridge across the river. If I stayed in Macon again I would probably stay at the Hotel Geneve again.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the street if you can.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed February 15, 2012

I stayed here on a business trip as my usual hotel was fully booked. My expectations were not high given the reviews I had read so I was pleasantly surprised. I found the receptionist friendly and helpful, the room rather small but adequate and clean, likewise the bathroom although there didn't seem to be anywhere to attach the shower head. I got a good nights sleep despite the proximity to the street and the restaurant was very pleasant and well stocked with a cold buffet breakfast. Parking is available directly outside the hotel and it is possible to walk out in the evening, being in the centre of town. Points to bear in mind, the rooms are particularly small so if you are tall or large, you will probably find the lack of space an annoyance.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank DAISYBOO17
Reviewed June 22, 2011

Booked double room on internet but got a twin or nothing from a man on reception who seemed too bored to bother with us. Room was under furnished with old scratched furniture and shower room/toilet, whilst clean, was the smallest I have ever seen and desperately in need of a make over. Shower was unuseable (leaking badly and the shower head was just hanging loose), bedside lights did not work and neither did the television. The toilet door had no inside handle to pull closed let alone not having a lock or catch.Showeroom/toilet had no window and no ventilation. Bedding was clean and beds were comfortable. Paint was grubby and view from window was about 1 metre before it was blocked by a solid wall. Strong smell of cigarettes in room. Staff agreed, after inspection, that our concerns were justified and unacceptable and apologised, blaming their housekeeper for not reporting problems. Breakfast was ok but very basic. .No mention of any refund for lack of the facilities that we had paid for .Best part of stay was leaving asap

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple