“great location”
Review of Le Relais du Roy

Le Relais du Roy
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Mont-Saint-Michel
Reviewed 17 January 2012

This is definitely a recommended place to stay if you visit Mont St. Michel and decide not to stay on Mont St. Michel itself. It is located across the causeway- Bay of Mont St. Michel- roughly a 1/2 hour walk across from the abbey. The walk itself is not bad as it is quite scenic with the surrounding area. The service at Le Relais du Roy was very nice. We checked in early ~ 1p.m. and they were able to hold our luggage for us. The rooms are quite big, especially the bathrooms. We had a great view of the Bay of Mont St. Michel and about a 5 min walk from the bridge near the causeway where we were able to catch the evening's sunset and view of Mont St. Michel in the distance. There is a full-serve restaurant located downstairs as well as a big local grocery, bakery, and other restaurants all located within a block or two of the hotel. It is located right in the center of this town. We took theTGV train from Paris and connected in Rennes with the bus ride to Mont St. Michel. The bus stop was only a few steps from Le Relais du Roy, very conveniient for sure. Defiinitely a convenient place to stay!

Room Tip: A 2nd or 3rd floor room with a balcony may be nice to see the sunset/sunrise at the Bay of Mont St...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 23 December 2011

Just a hop, skip and a jump from the Abbey, this hotel is in a perfect location. The restaurant doesn't have the greatest of choice and is on the expensive side, but the serviceis friendly, the staff speak english, the free wifi (although a bit hit and miss at times) is convenient, but most importantly, it's just a pleasant stroll to one of the most spectacular sights I've ever seen!

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank Naomi75
Reviewed 10 December 2011

The staff was friendly, the restaurant for dinner was really good and a great value compared to the pricier establishments on the Mount. The rooms were comfy and clean, and the price could not be beat. The bathroom was surprisingly spacious. It's approx a 25 minute walk to the Mount. We drove because it was raining and parked for 6 Euros.

There's a supermarket / bakery just down the street if you want to grab a quick, inexpensive bite and hit the road again.

We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank traveler2679
Reviewed 21 November 2011

I didn't stayed at the hotel, but the restaurant is very goog. Exactly as described on their web site " Le Relais du Roy” is acknowledged as one of the best gastronomic restaurants in the region. Built of local stone, it features regional specialities such as salt-marsh lamb, fish and shellfish, all prepared by our enthusiastic chef " Good service, good food, good prices. Booking recommended.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2011

We spent one night at Le Relais du Roy in late September. The room was small, but very nice and had a balcony overlooking the river. The weather was unusually warm and we would have liked to have had an air conditioner to cool the room down. We didn't dare leave the window open because mosquitos are prevalent in this area. We had dinner at the hotel and both the food and the service were very good. We walked to the Mont that evening and it is beautifully lit at night. I suggest you take a flashlight with you because the street leading to the Mont is being repaired and is uneven. The next day we parked on the causeway to tour the Abbey and the parking was free. We were there early before the crowds arrived and enjoyed the little town which I thought looked like a scene out of a Harry Potter movie. The service staff at the hotel was friendly, the room clean and the location was excellent.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GloriaJC
Reviewed 18 November 2011

The dining room was excellent as were the meals.... But the service for drinks at the bar were non existent. I ended up complaining to the Tour Guide who then got me a drink herself.
The views were fabulous with a 20 minute walk out to Mount. This walk must be done as a once in a lifetime experience..( especially at night.)
Service from the front desk was very poor as the attendants were arrogant and seemed too busy to take time to help.
And the lift to the upper floors was only big enough for one person and luggage.
The Mini Bar in the room was under lock and key so I had to get access by requiring a key from the front desk. This was so I could keep my medication in it.
When we were to leave I came to get my insulin and the Mini Fridge would not open. The staff could not open it either ( 5 different keys tried.) , so we even tried to force the door open.
Staff were a waste of time.
After nearly 45 minutes I had by then wrenched the door open myself.
Not a very good advertisement for a major hotel....
I won't be staying there again.

Room Tip: Get a room looking out over the pool with the views. Be prepared for slow service. Not very helpfu...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank cullodenmist
Reviewed 26 October 2011

I chose this hotel based solely on the proximity to the causeway to get to Mont St. Michel, and it was better than I expected. The rooms are decent, with doors that open to a balcony so you can look at the Mount from your room (careful not to let the bugs in like I did!), and the bathroom in my room was updated. The room did have a strange smell, but it was still a pleasant stay.
I also had the breakfast in the morning, and while it was a good buffet with american-type food like cold milk, the price was a bit steep for what you got (9.50 Euros)

I also HIGHLY recommend walking to the Mount instead of driving. I believe parking was 6 euros, and the walk was manageable. It is also an amazing experience to walk toward the Mount; whether at night or during the day (the hotel had reflective vests for walking at night). My favorite time of day was in the morning when the tide was out and you could see the mud flats for miles. I also enjoyed walking around the "town" and looking the shops and unique architecture. NOTE: There is a specialty omelet that is sold at most restaurants, and it has not made it off the island for a reason...its not good! I suggest eating on the Mount if you want since it is a nice experience; but avoid the omelets!

Overall, this was one of my FAVORITE places in France