All reviewspanoramic roomcarolinehostcliffsterrace
Reviewed July 3, 2015

I enquired about rooms here for my family and was offered two lovely sounding rooms for two nights in late July, I gladly accepted. Just 2 days ago, I received a curt email from Caroline informing me that the rooms were no longer available. I am horrified. She has not replied to my response. I am now left trying to find rooms for the four of us in high season on the Cote d'Azur, with 3 weeks notice. DO NOT RISK IT!

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
10  Thank fitzoo
Reviewed April 9, 2015

We stayed for 4 nights in february 2015 in the upstairs room with a superb view of the sea. Our hostess Caroline was delightful - from coming to find us from the train station in the porsche to recommending restaurants and getting my husband a much needed doctors appointment. She supplied maps for the walk around the callanques and the electric bikes were a bonus - great fun! The decor was elegant, the breakfast delicious with fresh croissants, brioche and pastries and freshly sqeezed juice each morning. On our last night other guests were arriving late and our hostess stayed up late to greet them and arrange pizza for their arrival. The villa is a short walk from the beach and a vigorous walk from the port which offers a great way to clear the head and walk off the magnificent local food. We took advantage of the expresso machine in the guest lounge and the supply of our favourite cherry liquor chocolates. A real treat all around.

Room Tip: upstairs with the sea view in the turret - magic!
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Janechook
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We spent a couple of days in December 2013 at villa Astoria with my parents and my wife. We were amazed by the beautiful view from the teases as well as from our bedrooms. The calanques are also amazing and the little harbor with its restaurants just few minutes walk. We an an excellent stay there.

Room Tip: If you look for an authentic old French house with charm and well refurbished with modern comfort, this is the one. Sea view from the rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We had a wonderful time at Astoria Villa in Cassis. The villa is beautifully decorated with a stunning view of Cap Canaille over the Cassis harbor. Breakfast was delicious, with traditional baguette and jam, plus another pastry, fresh fruit, juice and coffee. The Nespresso machine was a fun plus, with coffee available all day. Lilou the dog was also excellent breakfast entertainment. We stayed in the Panorama room, and it was always so beautiful to look out at the Cap. The owner, Caroline, was incredibly helpful, even coming to get us in town when there was confusion about how to get a taxi when we didn't have a cell phone. The setting is very intimate, and we never really heard anyone else in the building, very peaceful. The villa is about a 10 minute, hilly walk to town and about the same distance to Port Miou and the start of the Calanques hike. Probably the only drawback was that we had to ask for more toilet paper and towels, but Caroline was very quick to provide everything. My 6'5" husband wasn't crazy about not being able to stand for a shower, but given the rest of our stay, that was minor.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank heathertravels2013
Reviewed September 1, 2013

PROS: Astoria Villa is a very pretty house. My wife and I stayed in the upstairs room with a view of the sea, which was lovely. It is right near the hiking trails in Les Calanques and walking distance to town. The hostess and kitchen staff were very nice (when they were around).

CONS:
There never seemed to be anyone around if you needed help.

There was a small refrigerator that we were told we could put drinks in, but there was no milk in it if you wanted some for your coffee. The actual kitchen door was closed and was not available to clients. We bought some beers and put them in the mini fridge, but the next day, other guests had drank them, not knowing that they had not been provided by the hostess.

The breakfast was lame: bread, croissant, little bits of fruit, juice and HORRIBLE coffee (same every day for 7 days).

I would suggest making your own instant espresso (pods) with the little machine that is available for guests. BUT - there was a large display of boxes of different espresso pods (50-60 boxes) above the machine, but when we went to get more, we found that all the boxes were empty... We also had to steal milk from the kitchen a couple of times because no one to around to ask.

Again, there was never anyone around, so when we ran out of toilet paper, we had to use tissues until the next morning (the tissues had not been provided either).

They only provided one mini soap, and when we ran out, it was not replaced. No shampoo was ever provided.

One day, the hostess's child (who is about 6) had a friend over and she let them run around the house and yard screaming and playing while we and another couple were trying to relax by the pool.

There was no phone in any of the rooms or in the house. The hostess was happy to make local calls for us, but again, was rarely around.

We love dogs, but if you're allergic, you should know that there is a big dog there who likes to beg while you're eating breakfast.

If you're looking forward to swimming in the pool (since the sea is so freezing), you should know that the pool is also quite cold, even when it's very hot out.

Room Tip: We had the room with a "view of the sea", which it did. But from other reviews, it looks like some other rooms might not have windows... On the website, however, our room showed a stand-up shower, which it did not. Just a tub with a shower hose.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple