“Great instructor ”
Review of ESF Val Thorens

ESF Val Thorens
More attraction details
Owner description: L'Ecole du Ski Français de Val Thorens vous invite à découvrir, avec ses 180 moniteurs, le plaisir de glisser dans la plus haute station de sports d'hiver d'Europe, au coeur du plus grand domaine skiable au monde ! Découvrez tout un monde de plaisir, en toute sécurité, grâce à la compétence et l'expérience des moniteurs de l'ESF.
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

As a family of 4 we had 4 x 2 1/2 hours afternoon lessons with ESF. Our youngest age 13 was able to stay with the rest of us (as adult classes are 13 upwards) which she was really pleased about.
Classes are by ability and language. We were in adult class one English. Our instructor Paula was excellent.
She taught us different skills and adapted for individuals in the group
Anyone struggling or too advanced for the groups are spotted and offered more appropriate class meaning groups can progress at a steady pace
Paula took us over a variety of runs in the resort constantly giving us tips on directions/ lifts etc for when we were skiing alone after/ before lesson
Would highly recommend lessons by ESF and would like to say a massive Thank you to Paula for helping us have a amazing holiday
Kirsty , Darren & family

"safety"
"morning"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed March 24, 2018 via mobile

So let me start with the good part:

after two years going down slopes by myself feeling miserable after falling too much I decided to take some lessons in Val Thorens. I decided to take 6 days of lessons to improve my snowboarding skills and chose ESF as they were partnered with the place we booked our trip with.

Anyhow I can surely say that my skills have improved over the course of my lessons at ESF. I am much more confident on my board and can go down slopes at a much higher speed and with much more dexterity and safety for myself and other people on the slopes. The guys who I traveled with, having over 15 years of experience in snowboarding can also tell that my skills have ever improved greatly.

Now for the bad part:

We started our group with both French and English speaking people. My French is terrible so I signed up for English lessons and was assured that our guide would speak English.

He did, barely... His explanation in French was very extensive and did a brief English explanation afterwards. Most of the times I had to guess what he meant by looking at his examples / body gestures while doing the French talk. Looking at my improvement I would say it would be sufficient but not all that easy when you are still trying to learn and understand someone at the same time.

But this not my biggest concern... Our teacher proved to be very impatient... So much he left people on their own on a slope on multiple occasions because they could not keep up with the pace set by the teacher.

On our first day he was annoyed by one student which had her board set up wrongly because of private reasons and stress and even though I offered up to help her with my tools, our teacher wouldnt let me. He send her to some sport shop only to try and pick her up later after our warming-up. When we picked her up the second go-around, although she mentioned she was visually impaired our teacher could not care less about leaving her behind on a blue slope when she fell a couple of times and got behind. He would not wait even two minutes before going on with the lessons. He did not take kind of feedback by the group on leaving her behind.

On our second day several people left the group because of the same attitude.

On our last day we went far away from town and one guy could not keep up. Our teacher left him behind on a red slope in the middle of nowhere leaving this guy all to his own to find his way back to town even though he could not keep up. I would not want to be in his shoes being left in a place with no map and being tired trying to find my way back. Again he did not take kind of any feedback.

When I confronted ESF office with this behavior they bluntly told me to f*ck off and not partake in lessons If I could not keep up.

I spoke to the girl who left after the first day as well as others who bailed and they found better teachers with more patience Luckily for them.

What I've learned / how the lessons took place:

So the lessons were quite versatile and diverse. The main focus was to teach us better stance and technique. Although it was quite clear our teacher was freestyle oriented because he would take us into the funpark the second day and trying to teach us freestyle skills. Also he taught us to go both on and off Piste to show us the versatility of snowboarding.

Gradually he would increase difficulty to really test our skills. Day by day. When he got the chance he would let us do jumps and off piste whenever the occurrence was there. On the progression of the week he would have us do various tests such as: funpark jumps, off-piste boarding, slalom courses (which were competitive level) and various other tests. On the last day he took us very far from town and did various red and black slopes. On and off Piste.

Me personally could keep up and was challenged enough to have fun and learn new stuff but leaving people behind is a big NOPE in my book.

Would not book again!

Reviewed March 24, 2018 via mobile

Our kids’ ski instructor Mr “G” (Guillaume Lamothe) was perfect. He was very professional, always on time, very friendly and smiling. His way of teaching was calming kids and makes ski lessons much fun. We hope to see him next year!! 5 Star instructor

Reviewed March 21, 2018

Been skiing for the last 30+ years, have tried many resorts but we always end up coming back to Val Thorens.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction