US$48
Hotel Los Portales(Chinandega)
US$95
US$80
Priceline
Hotel de Campo Apastepe(Chinandega)(Great Value!)
US$40
US$35
Hotel Casa Real(Chinandega)(Great Value!)
US$41
Hotel San Jose(Chinandega)(Great Value!)
US$41
Hotel Dona Mercedes(Chinandega)(Great Value!)
US$9
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Los Volcanes(Chinandega)
US$60
Tapas and Surf(Chinandega)
All reviewsfood was amazingvolcano boardingthese guyslearned howevery mealhorseback ridinggreat jobyoga retreatnew friendsbeautiful studiothe real worldknew wherestocked fridgerash guardoverlooking the watera great vacationexceeded all expectations
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Rise Up Surf is absolutely perfect for anyone who likes to live on the beach and surf whenever they please with the waves all to themselves..

The quality of the food was outstanding!!!! 4 great, varied and fresh meals a day... The staff was as good as they come and arranged some fun trips between surf sessions. They also make a great margarita:):):)

For beginners and intermediate surfers this place is heaven.. Frequent mid-size waves on a perfect sand-beach. If I needed instruction, there would always be an instructor nearby ready to help.

Accommodation was in great condition, clean rooms with AC and the beds were superb. Bathrooms are shared but they are cleaned everyday.

I have nothing but great things to say about this place!! I have had plenty of hit & miss in both Costa Rica and Nicaragua, but this place was a big hit:-)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Peter H
Reviewed December 15, 2013

I visited Rise Up towards the end of November, and had an amazing stay. HIGHLY recommend this surf camp to anyone visiting Nicaragua. I stayed at the new camp up north and can tell you that it is GORGEOUS. Beautiful camp, great pool, and right on the beach. Everyone working with Rise Up is friendly, helpful, and generally awesome.

I came specifically to surf as much as possible, and they did a great job balancing my desire to surf all day with other people in the group who were a little less intense about it than me ;). I always had a guide with me, and they took us to a variety of spots depending on the tide/conditions/etc.

The camp itself was awesome. My group of guests were the first to stay at the new location so they were still working on a few things, but I bet by now it's amazing. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank LauraBeth711
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Rise up was amazing in every way. From the start they are super responsive and helpful for prebooking questions and once you arrive they take care of absolutely everything for you. The staff are superb in every way - and in a way that a 5 star hotel could never understand. Tara, Hugo, Chinto (spelling?), Brandon, Jess, Fabien were all amazing and make the camp what it is.
My wife and i started our honeymoon in Nicaragua with Rise up and it was perfect for us. The camp is perfectly situated in front of a beach break great for beginners and experts. There are no other accommodations for miles so you have the break to yourself every day. If you want to explore beyond, there are a few more breaks in walking distance or accessible close by by boat. The staff are super helpful and used to instructing all levels. The ratio of guests to staff is so low that you always have someone around ready to help you out and progress your surfing. With the location right at the break, you can just alternate surfing, hammock relaxing and enjoying meals all day long. The excursions out to the volcano, fishing and estuary all provide a wonderful balance during your time there should you need some time off the water (or at least out of it).
Bottom line - unique offering, amazing location, amazing staff, chill atmosphere, fantastic food, great people, visit and you certainly won't regret.
Hope to be back next year to see the new location!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Steve S
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I actually found my way to Rise Up on Trip Advisor...and the reviews weren't wrong at all! My boyfriend and I went with 2 other couples with varying degrees of experience in surfing. We ALL had a blast!

Phil was great from the get-go. He always answered my emails quickly and was very friendly and honest.

From the moment you land in Managua to the moment they drop you back off at the airport, Rise Up ensures that you're safe and having a great time. Our flight got delayed a bit but sure enough our driver was waiting for us. The drive is a bit bumpy the last half an hour or so, but it's not bad at all and it certainly adds to the charm!

Tara, who is now managing the Salinas Grandes location, was up and waiting for our arrival. She made sure we got some snacks and knew where everything was. The accommodations were comfortable and air conditioned. The 6 of us shared one bathroom but it wasn't a problem. You're likely to see a few bugs or a small crab visit you in your room or the bathroom but if that bothers you then you should perhaps reconsider visiting a surf camp. The sand will get into everything but the housekeeping staff does a great job of keeping everything as clean as possible for the whole day.

The food was SO great! Fabian and Tara took over the cooking the week we were there and everything was fresh and delicious! Way healthier than I usually eat and definitely kept me full and happy. We had a variety of diets and special requests in the group and they did a great job of accommodating everyone (vegetarians, paleo, non-dairy, etc..). We all agreed that the never-ending Tona, Victorias, and rum was pretty amazing too!

What we loved the most about Rise Up was definitely the staff and how they catered to whatever you felt like doing. Want to surf first thing in the morning? Chinto, Brandon, and Hugh will likely be out there waiting already for anyone who wants to head out. Want to sleep in? Go for it. Want to surf then yoga then surf then fish? They'll make it happen! I have never been so exhausted and relaxed at the same time.

Directly right out front is a fun beach break that consistently has waves. I normally don't care for beach breaks because they're a bit too heavy but this wave had everything for all levels. The white wash is perfect for beginners and further out is a fun wave for intermediate surfers that occasionally will have a barreling set for those of you who are a more advanced. We also took the boat out to Puerto Sandino which was a fun left, but the swell didn't hit that spot most of our trip.

Some tips:
-Definitely check out the checklist for packing they have on their website. Namely, don't forget your sunscreen and bug spray!
-GO volcano boarding when they do. I was terrified of hiking up that, but it was amazing. Also, highly recommend bringing a bandanna to wrap around your face when you slide down.
-Don't sleep in! Take a nap in a hammock later. The conditions and waves are great first thing in the morning.
-We're from Hawaii and we're used to warm water, but the water in Nicaragua is REALLY warm. You definitely won't need a wetsuit.
-Ask Jess to play and sing for you, she's fantastic.
-Just GO to Rise Up, you won't regret it!!!

Thank you Rise Up, we loved every minute of it!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Mona_Um
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I was surprised when I first walked into Rise Up Surf camp. It was a private setting with a beautiful beach right in front of the hotel/camp. I went with a few of my friends and we all agreed this was the only surf camp we have been to that has private surf tour guide following us everywhere we go. Our guides, Hugh and Dana took few of us to great surfing spots, while another guide, Oscar, took our other friends who didn't surf to fishing and volcano boarding. You can be beginner, intermediate or advance surfer who wants to surf barrels or just softer waves. Nicaragua has all kinds of waves and Rise Up will do the best to find what you want. I love how rustic Nicaragua is and we can still choose to live in a beautiful and comfortable place! The best part was that locals were friendly and surf breaks were not crowded! I became friends with other groups of travelers and many solo travelers. Because Rise Up treats everyone like a family (true Nicaraguan people) including all of their staff, I felt so comfortable with Nicaragua right away. I surfed myself silly with great fun waves, while my non-surfer friends had a blast to do all kinds of activities. Everything was included in the price and we didn't need to worry about spending money but gifts for our family and friends! Rise Up was exactly I was looking for, worry-free both on trip/tours planning and also no stress in the lineup! And Nicaragua is better than anywhere I have traveled because locals and other travelers are nice! I LOVE RISE UP and Nicaragua!

Room Tip: Ask the owner what's your preference!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends