See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed January 19, 2015

Reading carefully the review 2 before this and examining the photo of what was written on the note, it clearly says 130, underlined and right below that in the same ink is written 4 persons. Zili was not cheated. The 4 is written that way over there. To an American it could be taken as a 6, but it isn't.

Stayed: October 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank BlueWampus
Reviewed November 7, 2014

We have been here for the 5th time friends during the Winzerfest in September.
We are treaded here very well, friendly boss and always in the mood for a joke.
Breakfast is ok, choise is enough for a weekend stay.
Rooms are neat.
Hotel location is very good with a nice view over the Rhein river

Room Tip: At each floor you have an appartment room, very spacy with a little kitchen. Not with a view at the river Rhein. Ask for a room in the main building.
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed November 3, 2013

On Oct. 4, my family of 6 arrived at a neighbouring hotel (Rheinhotel Starkenburger Hof) where we had an HRS reservation, and with a confirmation printout in hand. Unfortunately, that hotel couldn't find our reservation. They called this hotel, Rheingau, but suggested that I walk over to take a look without taking any luggage.

The owner showed me two rooms, and told me that altogether it would be 130 Euros. He even wrote "130" on a piece of paper to give me (see photo attached). Just to make sure, I told him in no uncertain words, and both in English and German, that we had 6 people, including 2 children. He replied: "Kein problem."

I then brought my family and the luggage back, and went to the counter to get the keys. Incredibly, and with a straight face and without any shame, the man told me that I now had to pay 180, because 130 was for 4 people only.

I refused, and walked back to the first hotel, asking them to call another hotel for me. The lady owner of the hotel still called back "Rheingau" and negotiated. She then told me that Rheingau wanted 20 Euros extra, for the kids' breakfast cost. The lady wrote this on the same piece of paper (see photo), and suggested that perhaps there was miscommunication because of language issues. I told her that I used both German and English to confirm 130 was for 6 people.

I accepted 150 only because we had in our party one 79 years old, one 78 year old, one 8 years old, and one 5 years old. I was utterly disgusted by this man. We are Asian-Americans, and primarily speak English. I perceived this as discriminatory, because I don't believe that the hotel owner dared to treat German tourists like this. We have had a very enjoyable time in Germany, except at this hotel. What a shame!

Room Tip: Please just be aware that the hotel owner is a tricky person, and was dishonest with us. If you are aware and protect yourselves, hopefully you will be fine.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We came very early from Frankfurt to Bingen Stadt and that is Sunday, only few people we saw from the train station and we walked to tourist information but it was closed and we continue to check if the Bingen-Rudesheimer is already open to take our river cruise but unfortunately the first trip will be 9:30 and it is only around 8 o'clock am, my wife, who loves to eat breakfast especially when we are in a new place like the romantic rhine, a very charming lady passed by walking her German Shepherd, she managed to take us pictures in front of Ludwig monument, also telling where to go when we need breakfast- she said, "go to other side of the road- hotel Rheingau is now open. We came in and met Willie and told us- "please take a seat and wait for your breakfast"... No menu was given but we felt very special because when Willie served our
breakfast, my wife like what he presented to us, a typical german breakfast and that is the start of beautiful and interesting day at romantic rhine. This place is a very good location near train station, very good service...two thumbs up for Willie...!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We ate dinner at the restaurant. I have Celiacs, so I showed the waiter the card that says in German what I can't eat. He was nice enough to offer suggestions on the menu. I got the GrillTeller which had a few different pieces of meat on it and potatoes. It was super yummy. Great service and very friendly :)

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family