All reviews visiting germany airport shuttle small kitchen the hotel reception front desk staff residential area hotel offers frankfurt city room was large short stay euro airplane stove renovation
Reviewed June 24, 2016

I stayed in this particular hotel last February. I have been traveling around the world since the past 30 years and had good and bad experience staying at different hotels during that period of time. However, my stay this time was one of the most horrible one I had experienced so far.

Upon arrival in Franfkurt, I tried to locate shuttle bus stop outside exit # 4 and within minutes, I found it but I had to wait for more than half an hour since the bus only run once on the hour. The journey took approx. 22~25 from the airport to the hotel. The hotel is located in the back of residential homes in a small town called Raunheim.

Check-in process was quite efficient and within 15 minutes upon my arrival at the hotel, I entered my room which was located in the 3rd fl. (if I am not mistaken). My room was quite large compare to average hotels in Europe : It was located in the main building (hotel; not the other building which was similar to a dormitory). It was clean and well maintained although it was easy for someone to see that the furniture style they had in the room was dated already.

Everything was perfect until the next day when I noticed that the housekeeping didn't clean up my room. I called the receptionist desk and reported my finding to her. The female receptionist staff asked me whether I already removed "Do Not Disturb" sign from the door. I was 100% sure I did remove it before leaving my room that day and she assured me that she would notify the housekeeping department the first thing the next day.

However, when I returned back to my room the next evening (3rd day; I stayed 10 nights), I got advised that for the rate I was paying, the hotel only included weekly cleaning (yes, you read it right). OMG !!! The female receptionist staff only stared at me while I was standing in front of her, still in totally shocking condition after hearing her explanation.

I immediately raised the subject by sending an e-mail to Hotel's director who offered me to clean up my room for additional Euro 15 per day. Up to this point, I never had any prior experience dealing with this strange hotel policy but I did admit that I made a mistake for not reading the hotel's terms and conditions when I confirmed my booking as I always assumed that it was the duty for any hotel to provide a clean room and environment for their guests.

After receiving his e-mail, I decided to end my conversation and in my e-mail, I told him that I would never return back to his hotel. Up till that point, I still did not get what this hotel was trying to get from their clients. How can I clean up my own room when I stay there for 10 nights ? Can I stay 10 days with all the rubbish piling up inside the room ? Hell no...

So, from the 4th night and onward (until the clean up my room a week later), I put all the rubbish in the balcony outside. It is not that I didn't want to spend Euro 15 extra but I didn't respect the way the management earned the money by charging hidden cost to guests.

How many times did I ever read hotel's terms and conditions ? I only read it once maybe out of my 30 stays especially in the hotel chain I never heard of but this hotel was managed by AccorHotels and I have been staying with the same hotel chain many times since the past 4 years.

The hotel finally cleaned up my room on Feb. 15th and surprisingly they did that again on the following day. However, when I returned back to my room in the early morning of Feb. 17th, they left dirty bed sheet on the carpet floor inside my room. I raised this issue to the male receptionist staff who went up to my room and saw this. He shook his head and I could tell from his face that he also disbelief that this thing really happened there. This really demonstrated how ignorant the management and how the management treated their guests.

Well, most hotels were either sold out or charged ultra expensive rates during that period due to ongoing event in town and since I made my hotel reservation last minute, I was tempted to try staying at this hotel. But I learned my lesson : Nothing comes cheap in this world. Even the hotel offered me so low rate, I will never ever consider taking their offer.

No wonder AccorHotels do not take this particular hotel under their management anymore. Maybe they just realized it although it was too late for them to act. Overall, there is nothing good about this hotel. It was far away from Frankfurt and not really close to the airport.

What else ? Without proper service, for me, it's better paying higher rate as I didn't deserve to get their substandard service from the hotel's management. I find my review is in line with other reviews that expressed their disappointment staying at this particular hotel. My advise ? Stay away and find a better hotel closed to the airport.

Date of stay: February 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Bambang S
Reviewed June 15, 2016

In June 2016, I stayed for one week on business at this hotel. There are two parts to this hote. One that is a normal hotel and one that is more like a bunk house. I stayed at the proper hotel. I had room 314 which is what they call a standard room. I normally stay at the NH, but it was full.

The room: It isn't big, but it is adequate in size. Even though it faced the courtyard, it was quiet. The AC worked very well and was very quiet. Lots of plugs for the electronics. Furniture was awful. The couch and chairs had thin cushions that made them torturous to sit on for more than 15 minutes. There is not an iron or ironing board in the room. I had to use my travel iron on the floor every day.

The bed: Much like the furniture, not so good. First it was a twin bed. Hard as a rock. The pillow was literally less than 1/4" (6mm) thick. absolutely useless. The one thing in a hotel that needs to be comfortable is the bed. This one was not.

Bathroom: Layout was fine. The showerhead was mounted on the long wall of the narrow bath tub which made showering awkward.

Internet Access: The hotrel has free access (get a passcode at the front desk). It was blazing fast (30mB/sec). It was truly a high point. If you need to do work in your room, the internet access makes it possible. This could make me come back as the NH barely delivers dial-up speed.

Breakfast: Pretty good. Easily as good as the NH. Eggs, bacon sausage, meats, fruits, yogurt, cereals, breads. Overall, for a hotel buffet, realy good.

Location: It is in Raunheim. not much to do there. There are some restaurants near by.

Will I go back? Probably. I'll try a room with a queen bed. If that is better, I'll come back and update the review.

Date of stay: June 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Ken W
Reviewed June 12, 2016

The hotel is big. The rooms are spacious. I stayed in a comfort room with kitchenette. Expectation setting for Australians: a "kitchenette" in Germany is coffee and tea making facilities. Usually, two cups a kettle and two tea bags (no milk or biscuits provided). This is different to microwave and/ or sink one might be expecting.

The airport shuttle doesn't appear to be very reliable. It works in the morning and in the afternoon except if it's not expecting someone to travel, then it doesn't move. So, if you rock up and miss the allocated morning time and it takes the daytime break, you'll need to organise a taxi with reception.

Picking up from the airport is also a little messy. In part, this is because the airport was undergoing modifications and in part due to the airport's size. The hotel taxi around this time can be a little confusing, especially if you have had a long (24 hour) flight. The hotel reception seemed a little impatient. I'm not sure if that was the German accent, he was busy or I prompted the short responses :).

After I got to the hotel, check-in went smoothly. The rooms are clean, quiet and smoke free. It's 100% smoke free hotel - inside. Breakfasts were fantastic, too! I'd avoid rooms overlooking the entrance to the hotel if you want it to be quieter still.

Reasonably close to Frankfurt Airport, 10 minute cab or drive.

By the way, since I am unable to rate Frankfurt Airport's Information Desk, I'll give them a plug here. The people there were wonderful, helpful and patient (I'd gotten stuck running around at the airport for eight hours (after my already long 24 hour flight). So, be patient with them if they are helping someone else, they will show you the same care when you are served.

Room tip: Don't rely on the shuttle service, advise reception when you want to leave.
Date of stay: June 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed June 6, 2016

It's a hotel by the airport, so, going with that standard in fits right in. We stayed here in conjunction with a wedding and if the couple had not picked us up at the airport and led us to the shuttle we would of never found it. This hotel was a Mercure Wings (how I have no idea, it's a sub-par Best Western) so the shuttle still says Mercure Wings Raunheim. This identity crisis continued throughout. Some things said Best Western, others said Mercure. It's like, come on, really? How long does it take to replace the stickers and other decals? Anyways, the 411 on the hotel is as follows:
the breakfast ends by 10 a.m., the "double" bed is two twins pushed together, if you leave past 11 a.m. your room won't get serviced, and the reception that supposedly speaks English doesn't... or at least they conveniently forget. All this said, we paid about $50 USD per night, so you get what you pay for.

Date of stay: May 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2016

I continually turn back to this hotel every year as it has a nice quiet setting in a small German town that has all the amenities near by that you may enjoy for a short or long stay from restaurants to supermarkets. The hotel shuttle from the airport is punctual once an hour except on weekends. Check in and check out is fast and friendly English is spoken. Rooms are large and clean, perhaps a little dated. The hotel has been rebranded as a Best Western from a Mercure. I look forward to staying here again.

Date of stay: March 2016