“Great brewery just outside munich”
Review of Weihenstephan

Weihenstephan
Ranked #2 of 19 things to do in Freising
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We were staying close to the airport for an early flight out in the am, and knew this was close, so we stopped in. Apparently, this is the oldest brewery in the world! The grounds were nice, and the beer and food were excellent. Nice little find, just north of Munich!

1  Thank Chksrgn

Reviewed 26 May 2013

Been here twice now due to proximity and my love of their Vitus. The location is easy to find with a GPS and I haven't had any issues with parking yet. TIP: drive all the way to the getranke (beer store) and you will most likely find parking right outside the door.
The getranke is well stocked with all of their brews as well as gift packs. The store also has tons of glasses, steins, clothing, towels, bottle openers, etc. All items are reasonably priced and they accept credit cards, though like the rest of Europe, your American Express is not welcome.
I know that beer preference comes down to personal preference, but I will say that I keep a rack of Vitus in my house at all times. The Korbinian is too sweet for me, though a ton of people love it. The Dunkel is really good, though not my favorite Dunkel and the Weizen and Original are both great.
Make sure to go to the restaurant on the hill for some unfiltered goodness in the beer garden that overlooks the city. If not the gift shop has cold beer for sale by the bottle.
Opening Hours: Not sure. I know they aren't open on Saturday or Sunday (made that mistake the first time) and I think they close for lunch from 1200 to 1400.

3  Thank iwantitall
Reviewed 18 April 2013

Not only is it supposed to be the oldest, but it brews some of the best. This is effectivelty the brewery tap and serves the whole range. You have to try both the Vitus (a Weizen Bock) and the Korbinian (a dark Doppelbock) - both wonderful. They also have a well-stocked shop on-site that you can drive right up to. It's worth the walk up for actual drinking though, as you feel like you've earned a couple when you get there (and you wouldn't want to drive afterwards!) Take the footpath that winds steeply uphill from near the crossroads at the bottom of the town. Service was a bit quirky this time from a slightly eccentric waiter, but we were never left waiting for a beer. Having eaten here before I can testify to the food also being excellent.

Reviewed 17 November 2012

Went to Freising to see this attraction, the World's Oldest Brewery, was very interesting and a good tour. I traveled with my daughter who lives 15 minutes from the city of Freising, we did not eat at the restaurant as it was closed. Are tour was in English and we had to make an appointment to see the brewery.

1  Thank Graybeard47
Reviewed 20 September 2012

Every time I visit Freising I visit this place too. The atmosphere, food,beer, people...all together make me feel happy

2  Thank Edita R