“Confusing to find... On a campus?”
Review of Weihenstephan

Weihenstephan
Ranked #2 of 21 things to do in Freising
Reviewed 26 October 2017

Ok, so I had just picked up my rental car from the airport and drove straight here as its fairly close to the airport. I'll be honest, perhaps it's because i don't speak German but as you wind through what I think may be a college campus it was a bit confusing to find the brewery. Perhaps part of Germany's charm are that there are not annoying signs everywhere. If America had the oldest brewery in the world, there would be neon signs at every turn and a giant parking lot at the top or somewhere. When I got to the top, i parked in a turnabout as the parking lot was under construction. I first entered a cafeteria, then walked in to the sample room of a tour that was ending before finding the appropriate door but a women at the desk who was just filling in and had no idea if I could take a tour or not that day... I saw the tasting room, which was cool, have a pretty good idea how beer is made so just opted to walk next door and sample a few at the Braustuberl. Perhaps they are not the best with walk up traffic, I would encourage you to reach out in advance of your visit. Worth the drive and super close to the Munich airport!

1  Thank TryppAdams

Reviewed 11 October 2017

We stayed in Munich and decided to make the trek out here for a Sunday visit. The food was good, the beer was aweseome. Staff not so friendly as it took awhile for us to figure out where to go. Reservations for seating would have been a good idea as the outside area was closed due to rain. We will go back on our next trip, but will certainly make a point to either have reservations or make sure the outside area is open.

1  Thank rod1916
Reviewed 25 September 2017

We love to stop by for dinner even time we are in the Munich area.. Excellent traditional Bavarian menu, great beer. Love the outside beer garden as well as the inside rooms. Efficient staff.

Reviewed 11 July 2017

Stayed overnight in Freising so absolutely had to make a stop at this Biergarten.
The restaurant is attached to the University at the top of the hill and is roughly a 20 minute walk from the Main Square downtown.

The staff was friendly and most spoke excellent English. I had the pork roast special with potato dumpling as well as a couple of .5 L.

Don't miss the Vitus which was my favorite beer there.

2  Thank Wildcat1897
Reviewed 11 July 2017

Can't complete a trip around Germany without going to the oldest brewery in the world. We took a train from Munich central for about 23 Euros (group day pass) which was about only 40 min to Freising. From there it was a 30 minutes walk to get to the brewery. The tours were all booked for the day but we decided to go anyway. No regrets!! This is a must see if only to taste this great German wheat beer.... or maybe two or three ;-) Would recommend!!!

1  Thank Businessdude101