See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed September 4, 2016

We visited this hotel this weekend for 2 nights. We had room #5 which was situated right above the kitchen, so late in the afternoon, you could hear them pounding schnitzel and smell the delicious aromas of a Bavarian kitchen. The beer garden was just off and under our outdoor balcony.

I know German hotels aren't known for having AC, but if one leaves the windows open for cooler temps in the room, then the mosquitoes come in to visit in the night. Me, being a spoiled American and hating mosquitoes, that was a pain. There was a nice little kitchenette in our room and a nice bathroom.

I will say that the hotel is extremely quiet when considering other guests slamming doors in the morning or late at night. We heard no other guests and the hotel was completely booked both nights.

Rate came with breakfast included and for a German breakfast it was adequate and staved off the morning growling tummy, but no hot dishes (except cooked in shell eggs). There was a selection of sliced broetchen/bread meats, spreadable wursts, cheeses, yogurt, watermelon, nectarines, dried fruit, fantastic coffee, tea, juice.

It was a 2-3 km hike to the altstadt (old town) and since I didn't bring my tennis shoes, didn't attempt that.

It is a family owned hotel/restaurant and historic and old.

Room Tip: Higher up floors might be better, but no elevator.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed August 8, 2016

The rooms are amazing large ones. Nice and cosy at the end of the city. Quiet. Very kind staff. Good breakfast and a typical restaurant for dinner.Good, fast Internet. The beds are very comfy ones. Recommended the pepper steak for dinner.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed August 25, 2014

It's unusual I know to write a review for a place you only booked, but I want to warn other travellers. We booked this place through one of our trusted booking agents, who are also available through Trip Advisor. I noticed that the site said special circumstances apply, or something like that, on the booking conditions, but I was not worried as I didn't reckon our circumstances would change. They did. I cancelled the booking just under two weeks before we were due to go. Within three to five minutes of the cancellation we received a phone call -- from the Hotel. Luckily, there was a slight glitch with our credit card (I'd entered a date wrongly by mistake) and so they had to speak to us to tell us that they were going to charge us in full for the night. My husband managed to negotiate them down ten euros or so, but the speed with which they picked up their money for nothing made us rather glad we hadn't gone. The special circs turned out to be a two week cancellation policy, anything under that time and you pay, which is very unusual these days. So, be ware, if you don't want to part with your hard earned cash for absolutely zilch. My wish now -- of course that I'd been really diligent in following the policy through but also that people would not think it appropriate to charge people for services they did not provide. In this day and age, it's not on.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rebsaroo
Reviewed December 23, 2011

Very clean and comfortable Gasthaus; excellent cousine, very friendly staff but, the only matter, they don't speak English.

The downtown of Bad Tolz (about 20 minuts walk) is very nice. From it you can either reach Munich or the Bavarian Alps in less than 1 hour.

I also suggest to vist the Ettal Kloster, wher you can find a wonderful locally-produced, beer.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed October 17, 2011

My wife and I truly enjoyed our stay at the Altes Zollhaus in Bad Toelz. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. Our room was nice. Breakfast and evening dining were especially enjoyable. Great food and a very pleasant atmosphere. We would like to recommend the Altes Zolllhaus for anyone staying in the area.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family