Hotel Les Negociants
US$212
US$101
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed June 26, 2008

Nice, clean room and bath, however, for the three nights we stayed there, I did not sleep. We wanted to open the windows because it was so hot ("Switzerland Sweats" was the title of the article in the paper that week). However,the noise from the bar across the street was really loud. I always bring earplugs when I travel, but they were not enough to block the noise of the bar patrons. We stayed in room 41 which was right above the "Au Petit Leman" bar. Maybe a different room would not have been as noisy.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed January 24, 2008

We loved the Negociants, everything about it: the location, the room, the restaurant, the staff...

We had asked for a very nice room for our special trip and got the corner room 46 on the top floor. It was very beautiful, comfortable and spotless - even the bathroom looked liked it had never been used, extremely nice!

Our room had nice slanting ceiling which gave a nice touch to the room. The TV was extremely small, smallest I've ever seen in a hotel but we didn't come to Vevey to watch TV!

The restaurant downstairs serves excellent food! It was also totally booked with people queueing for a table on the Friday eve, Dec 28. The restaurant does not seem that fancy but it was obviously very popular amongst the local people. We really enjoyed our dinner and were disappointed the following evening eating in another restaurant in Vevey. Do stay and eat at Negociant, and book your table on weekends!

The breakfast is served to the table so you only get what they serve you. I am used to drinking a lot of water / juice, but they only gave 1 glass of juice and no water jug to the table, which seemed a bit strange.

The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, thank you!

There is no car parking area provided by the hotel so you need to park to the big square 1 block away. It is very near so not a problem but you need to have coins to pay the parking and remember not to park on the square on market mornings!

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank Finnish_female
Reviewed December 26, 2007

I don't like hotels; the nature of my job means that I have been forced to stay in them for many weeks at a time. There aren't that many in Vevey so I had little choice. I normally go for a 4* but as it was to be 6 weeks and I was paying I was looking for three star. Nothing seemed suitable so with trepidation, I opted for the Hôtel les Négociants, a 2*. The lift (in a 2* hotel) was weIcome as I was exhausted). arrived at 11 at night, and found the room to be a good size with an en-suite that had been recently rennovated. As it was minus 3 celcius one of my worries was the heating, I needn't have worried; it was lovely and cosy, and the adjustment worked well.

The room was clean and comfortable with cable TV and a telephone (can I remind you here that this is a 2*). The bed was as comfortable as mine at home (and I am particular about beds).

When I awoke in the morning, I asked for some shirts to be ironed for the next day; they were back in my room by that evening.

Breakfast is continental and consists of some cream cheese, jam, croissants and bread along with your choice of coffee, tea, hot chocolate etc; all served quickly and without fuss.

Having now stayed in the hotel for 6 weeks, I must say I am stunned by how well they operate. I like to be left alone, but have somebody to assist, the moment I ask for it and that is exactly what they did. On a Thursday evening, my family was suddenly able to join me for the weekend and so I needed a family room. They juggled their bookings, supplied the cot and the extra bed with no fuss. These people are such professionals.

The service of the staff is the standard of a 4 to 5 star hotel (I stayed in a 5* just the day after I left and had this thought confirmed to me. The hotel needs a few little things doing to it such as new carpets and slightly renovated communal areas and a little more choice for breakfast and then it would be a top end three star.

If you avoid 2* hotels, like I do, then think again, this place is amazing. It's right in the old town with lots of beautiful boutique shops that you normally only find a few of in other towns. It is 100 metres from the lake; where you can walk, swim, take a boat trip, ferry ride (to any town on the lake) or water ski. The Nestle museum of food is near by, as is the sculpture of Charlie Chaplin (who lived here for 25 years). The centre of the (new part of) town is 200 metres away with enough mainstream shops to keep you happy. The well served (well it is Swiss) train station is 200 metres; where you can get to Geneva airport, to the local ski resort or to nearby Montreux or Lausanne).

Vevey itself is flat and easy to walk around, unlike Lausanne and Montreux which are both on the side of mountains (well hills really). These three towns are clustered together in one of the most beautiful locations on earth. With the lake and the mountains surrounding them, they rival Sydney and Rio for breath taking views; I know, I have lived in Sydney and Rio.

A fantastic hotel for the mid range traveller and a beautiful town. Use it for your base, to explore this part of central europe.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed August 20, 2007

We spent 3 nights at this hotel during the Montreux Jazz festival and were perfectly happy. Fairly affordable WiFi, nice convenient location, and one morning awoke to sounds of a quartet of alpenhorns playing downstairs outside at the market. A bit expensive for what it is but not in Switzerland. Would stay there again

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 23, 2007

This is a 2-star hotel, that claims to be nothing more than a 2-star, and achieves its aim well.

The rooms are comfortable, if nothing astonishing, as are the bathrooms.

In going there, I missed a train, and by the time I'd got hold of the phone number it was around midnight. Tried rining to give some sort of advance warning, but nobody answered. When I eventually arrived around 3 am, I rang the bell, and eventually got a (very) sleepy person who said that yes she did speak English and could I tell her my surname. She gave me the doorcode, and on the reception desk, i found a key labelled with my name and "Bonne nuit". If anything, it's rather heartwarming when a hotelier will go to bed but has the trust that a customer who made a booking will still show up. Reading other reviews, the area around the hotel seemed exceedingly quiet, although on Sunday at midday it was mellow but lively.

The hotel website seems to be in the process of being redesigned as of late June 2007 - but the place seems to be very much open as normal otherwise. The physical location is about a 1 minute walk from the market square, which is fronted by the lake along with ferries and the like.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled solo