This is a conference facility with decent lodging. Spectacular location on a hill top overlooking Ascona. The facility began as a bohemian retreat with utopian tendencies.
* Rooms vary, from delightful to acceptable. My room was medium sized with a small bed and desk, without phone or TV, but with a view of the lake far far below that was far nicer than any TV image could ever be.
* The food served at the on-premises restaurant was palatable. Not a four star restaurant, but much better than typical institutional cooking. The view from the restaurant was spectacular.
* The staff were very helpful, going above and beyond what was required to assist me after I had had a bag stolen on the train in Italy.
* The conference facilities were modern -- functional rooms with good AV.
Much enjoyed my stay in Monte Verita!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Monte Verità stands on the hills overlooking Ascona and Lake Maggiore and has always been a magnet for ideas, trends, experiments and historical figures. At the turn of the 20th century, an alternative, vegetarian colony was founded on the site, and the mythical golden age of Monte Verità began. Artists, anarchists, philosophers and thinkers settled here - with illustrious guests such as Hermann Hesse among them. After a brief period in the early Twenties, during which a group of expressionist artists set up a small artistic community, the hill just in Ascona was purchased by the German banker and art collector Baron Eduard von der Heydt. It was then that Monte Verità became a modern hotel complex, visited by high-profile figures from the worlds of art, politics and culture. The Baron bequeathed Monte Verità to the Canton Ticino in the 1950s, and in the late 1980s it was turned into a conference centre thanks to a partnership with the Swiss Federal Institute of Teconology in Zurich. Today, Monte Verità is a state-of-the-art conference and cultural centre, managed by the Foundation of the same name. Situated on seven hectares of tranquil, lush parkland with breathtaking panoramas of Lake Maggiore, it offers visitors a truly unique experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity.ca, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel Monte Verita reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.