“Elevated and Beautiful” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Beatenberg
Michigan
“Elevated and Beautiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

My husband and I visited Interlaken in September 2011 and we stayed at the Hotel Gloria in Beatenberg. It's located up in the moutain and it's just beautiful. The views are breath-taking. The ride up was a little scary for me, since I am afraid of hights. We were informed after reaching the hotel to take an alternative route to reach the town of Interlaken, but the cows with huge bells around their necks, grazing on the hillside was like a scene from Hiedi so I am glad we took the steep ride up first.
The hotel staff was great - very friendly and helpful. If you have questions about attractions and the bus to town they will assist you. A bus comes through about every 45 minutes.
We ate ostrich at the hotel; never had it before but it was yummy, tasted like tender steak.
The room was spacious and clean with a balcony with amazing views of the lake below and the Alps behind it. We recommend staying here for your visit in Interlaken.

Room Tip: We paid a little extra for the loafed suite. The room was a good size and comfortable.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NeedTravelInfo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Redruth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2012

First an apology

We stayed in this excellent hotel on our honeymoon in May 2010 - I could have sworn we wrote a review then but it does not seem to be on the site. It was only today when looking at hotels I thought I'd look back at this one and found it missing - so apologies to Bernard and Jacky!

First the location - high on the hills overlooking the lake with a mountain range as a backdrop - could it be better? Misty some mornings, but I guess sthat is down to the time of year. On clear days it was quite spectacular.

We arrived on a Thursday and as warned the restaurant was closed, but there was someone to meet us and reservations in the nearby Dorint Hotel (great meal) had been made for us

All the rooms have great views, ours was on the 3rd floor with a balcony, and a mezzanine with some extra beds, presumably for children.

Food throughout was excellent, Bernard is an excellent chef and when he and Jacky discovered we were on our honeymoon he pulled out all the stops! We even had our own individual menu one evening with local specilaities. Stawberries and champagne on our balcony was a lovely touch too...! Food thoughout the week was of high quality (Bernard makes a point of coming around to diners during service to make sure all is well) and we were looked after very well. They are the ultimate hosts, freindly without being obtrusive, helpful with suggestions on things to see, days to go and how to get there without trying to take over. They have spent years in high quality hotels and it shows - some 5* hotels I have stayed in should send managers here to see how it is done.

The hotel is an excellent base for exploring the Interlaken area, although it is about 20 minutes to get to from the main road near the lake.

Highlights?

So many, but the friendliness and genuinely welcoming attitude of the owners permeated the hotel.

Experiencing Bernard's yodelling club one evening was another!!!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2012

We picked this hotel after reading reviews on this site and we were not disappointed. Intimate with a breathtaking view, excellent restaurant, service that exceeds the best and the couple that run it approach guests more like friends than customers. As an example, Bernhard took all our ski gear back to the rental place to save us time on the last day we were there.
The food is way above what you would expect as the restaurant is not just a hotel dining room, it's dining that you would seek out on its own.
We would recommend this little hotel without hesitation.

• Stayed January 2012
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

I did not spend the night, although I would love to have! We came for lunch on Christmas day. The view from the hotel is excellent. While eating, we could look out at the Jungfrau, Eiger, und Monch! The views are just spectacular. ....and then our food came! Not only was the service so sweet and professional, but the food itself was outstanding. I had the holiday meal, which was a three course lunch. The duck was the best I've ever eaten! I would not hesitate to go back, and in fact, I plan on it!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank James F
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2011

I miss my family, that's how I felt when I left the Gloria Hotel on 26/10. Everyone in the hotel was a member of my family, I haven't felt like a stanger. I meet the owners, they are so sweet, loving & caring.

I strongly recommend Gloria Hotel, for many reason:

1- cOZy ;)
2- location is breath-taking
3- Food is THE BEST (thanks to the Chef)
4- everyone will lend you a helping hands even customers
5- everyone happy and smilling (relaxed)
6- clean and envirnment friendly

Special Thanks to Bernhard, Jacky and entire Team. Wish you all the best.

I love you and hope to see you soon.
Faisal Alkharafi

• Stayed October 2011
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2011

Nestled 3,000 feet above Lake Thunersee you will find this amazing hotel in the small, yet very long village of Beatenberg. With a handful of residents and cows as your closest neighbors, this is really a place where you can get away and relax. The rooms are comfortable and clean. The restaurant has been the best food we have had since we arrived - so much that just about everywhere else has been a disappointment. The staff here is friendly and has provided a very personal experience.

To anyone coming to the area, I would highly recommend Hotel Gloria and Beatenberg in general. It's a stark contrast to Interlaken seems commercialized and overrun with tourists.

• Stayed September 2011
Jerusalem
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2011

We chose Gloria according to its location and reviews we read. It was better than our expectations. The view from the room is amazing, the bed large and comfortable. The bathroom was OK but somewhat less than the room and restaurant.
Breakfast is very good and has home made confitures made from local fruit. The hotel's restaurant (dinner) is superb!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beatenberg
0.1 km away
Hotel Roessli
Hotel Roessli
#1 of 8 in Unterseen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,198 reviews

Been to Hotel Gloria? Share your experiences!