“Stay at Beaches Negril vs. Beaches Boscobel”

Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
Reviewed 29 June 2010

We had a great vacation, but we were travelling with our family which made the vacation awesome. We received room upgrades which was great and cleaning employees did a great job. Our refrigerators in the room were stocked when needed. Our rooms were a good location to most amenities. Our kids (3,8,9,11,12,16,20)only did a few camp activities, but they did enjoy them. I was disappointed in how small the beach is - would definately recommend Beaches Negril, which we tried to transfer to. Other things that they need to work on is more towels at pool/beach and more cups and plates at dinner buffet. I would definately suggest to bring your own water/juice bottles. We did have a few days of rain, which the entertainment at night was cramped into the buffet area instead of separate area. I would say the best meal was at Arizonas. The spa experience was also great. We went offsite to swim with the dolphins and I would definately recommend - awesome experience.

1  Thank Happy140
Write a ReviewReviews (4,402)

Reviewed 28 June 2010

We spent 6 days at Beaches Boscobel with a group of 5 families...10 adults and 10 kids ages between 6-12. Here is my review:

First off, I am not a picky person, pretty much take what comes to me and enjoy what happens, realizing things are never perfect.

We had enough people to charter our own bus...and if you do any research on Beaches, you have to know its 2 hours from the airport --- cant complain about that.

When we got there, we immediately were greeted by a "greeter" with Rum Punch drinks and a very attentive staff member who checked us in. We sat for just a few minutes and enjoyed being there, looking around, and sipping on our drinks. Then we were introduced to Rupert, who said it was his job to take care of us. He gave us a brief hello/orientation, and then encorted us to our rooms. Overall, I was impressed with check-in and the lobby.

We were very excited to see that we had gotten upgraded to a room with a sliver of a view of the Caribbean, a large deck, and a nice clean looking room. We were very happy about the cleanliness of the room and the location to everything.

The entire resort really focuses in and around the main pool area. This is the heart of the resort. Its where we planned on spending most of our time, so it was nice to be so close to it.

It rained a lot on us, cant blame beaches for that, and they did their best to move functions inside, but one of the restaurants we wanted to eat at is completely outside (Arizona's), so we could only eat lunch there our last day. Its the one that is right on the water, so we were dissapointed that we didnt get dinner there, but cant blame anyone but mother nature for that one.

Food -- Im not picky, but Ill just say it was OK. Dinners are pretty good if you like steak and lamb. The Jamaican people are AWESOME, and they are laid back...which can be good and bad if you are hungry or thirsty! My crew likes to drink so we can to be pretty vocal about ordering another round as soon as we got our drinks delivered.

Pool Bar - great idea, but sometimes it seemed understaffed or they seemed to be too busy cutting limes to fill up drinks. This wasnt all the time, just when it got busy, they didnt seem to move any faster.

Sidebar: Pet peeve -- people smoking at this resort...I know its international property and not USA, but its a kid friendly resort...people smoking at the pool bar and even a few smoking while IN the waterpark area (kids everywhere).

WaterPark -- awesome! Kids and adults will love this. Downside - dont go there right when it opens, remember you are on Jamaican time...so if it opens at 10, you will see a few lifeguards mozying to their stations around 10:10. The other annoyance was they sell daily passes i guess to locals, and 2 of the days Id say there were 50 kids bussed in...and they were ROWDY. The lifeguards whistles were blowing all day long.

Kids -- If your kids dont have fun here, you need to put them on Prozac. Just kidding, but our kids had a blast. Younger kids loved kids club, they did so many cool activities daily that my youngest was falling asleep at the dinner table at 7pm. The older kids 8-12 pretty much ran from the beach, pool, hottubs, poolbar, popcorn stand, ice cream stand, water slide, etc, from 9am to 9pm. They also really liked the XBox room.

Cleanliness - No issues. I saw a little mouse outside one night and 2 of the rooms in our group had a bug, but nothing crazy.

Beach area: Tiny, but we knew this going on. Very tiny though, especially when you factor the area where they keep the glass bottom boat, etc. We did go snorkling and that was a great experience, only takes an hour, but fun experience.

Recommendations: If you like to drink, bring your own plastic mug. We bought Tervis Tumblers and we loved them, otherwise you get whimpy little 10 oz beers/drinks. I think the bartenders liked it because they got rid of us for a while.

The Staff: Very cool, just what you would think of Jamaicans. They are laid back and fun to hang out with. If they know you like beer, they will just show up at your chair with a cold beer...one day at lunch, one of the guys was messing with us and brought us a round of beer every 10 minutes...it turned out to be quite a lunch. Just keep in mind they are very laid back and probably will take longer than you think to get what you want. It is hard to get mad at these guys because they are so nice and appear to be trying, but if you order coffee at breakfast, you may not get it until lunch. It's spotty though, sometimes your waiter will be spot on and sometimes just too chill. OH, instead of waiting at the pool bar, we would actually just go to the main bar and order...much quicker! We had a toilet that wouldnt flush and a lock that was busted up, but both were taken care of quickly. Note that everywhere you walk, the staff says hi to you and makes sure you are taken care of. Two guys in my group fell of the banana boat and lots their expensive glasses. The workers got snorkle gear and went back to the spot and found their glasses, found my guys, and wouldnt accept a tip!

Good to know: If it rains, the tile ALL over the resort pool area will be as slippery as ice. Its not their fault really, and they put down some mats, but its very dangerous. I cant believe we escaped a week with lots of rain without and major falls!

Things to Do: Snorkle, Banana Boat Ride, Babysitter for $10 an hour!, go to the Piano Bar a little early if you are in a group and feeling rowdy, you can all sit at the piano and belt out your favorite songs right with the piano player...very fun even if you cant sing. If you have the extra funds, get a massage, ive had 5 in my life and it was the best one ive ever had.

Overall: I had a blast, but I would probably try another all-inclusive before going back to Beaches Boscobel.

• Stayed: June 2010
1  Thank LBzzz
Reviewed 27 June 2010

Just returned from Beaches Boscobel, what a fantastic trip. Everything was great, the place, the people, the activities. We vacationed with 4 adults and an 8 year old. From the time we went through customs in Jamaica we were treated like royalty. Everyone at Beaches went out of their way to accomadate us. Don't worry about anything and don't listen to the few negative reviews you'll read, this is a VACATION. The staff is some of the most friendly people you are likely to meet, and treat you like family. The pools, slides, water sports, and activities were all super. All inclusive is the way to go. The room was awesome, we had an ocean view and was definately worth the upgrade.
Housekeeping did an excellent job, our room was always clean, organized and beds even turned down at night. mini fridge was restocked daily. Food was very good at all restaurants, especially Arizona's and the Venetian, we even enjoyed dinner in our room one night, and had a fantastic romantic dinner on the beach for our anniversary that i would strongly recommend. All drinks were great especially at the pool bar and the mimossas at breakfast. We all always had things to do,I loved the snorkel trip to the reef, bring a waterproof digital camera, lots of cool little colorful fish to see. The resort was clean, well matained, and safe. Bus ride to and from was a great way to see a small part of another culture, our driver "DOC" was a mini tour guide pointing out things of interest along the way, its 90 minutes but the resort is worth it and it's a part of the whole experience. Spa was wonderful, had a couples massage and my wife also enjoyed a facial. Assistant manager Nana checked in with us to ensure we were enjoying our stay . All in all this was a most wonderful family trip, and when asked if I would recommend Beaches Boscobel my response is always Ya Mon....

Reviewed 27 June 2010

To start with the good points - the kid's camp was excellent, the staff was very friendly, the rooms were large and the food was plentiful.

Now the disappointing part - the restaurants were small and not able to accomadate all the people in the resort, a camp or school was shuttled in to use the facilities and they were very rude and it took away from the guests being able to enjoy the facilities, and management was unwilling to solve a problem that was recurring every night until a general manager was contacted.

Reviewed 27 June 2010

We just returned from Beaches Boscobel yesterday from a 7 day vacation. It was the most relaxing and fun vacation I have ever had. If I had paid attention to some of the negative comments posted by other travelers I would have missed a great wonderful experience with my family!

Let me start by saying that the resort is older but is kept up nicely and clean. I never once saw holes in the walls or ugly plumbing fixtures. What I saw was an older resort that is used alot by families and kept very clean.

The staff were very helpful and fun to be around. Now with saying that not every staff member was was nice but you have to get past those and focus on the ones that made your vacation wonderful.

Food, drinks, and activities were so great that never once did we need or want to leave the resort.

Please if you are thinking about booking a vacation with Beaches Boscobel do it and think about the fun that you will have! You won't regret it!

1  Thank dlynn11
Reviewed 25 June 2010

this hotel has good nightlife good golf for all is very relaxing great food very good for weddings has a very culture and sightseeing incredible staff and is very comfortable this holiday place is a hidden gem

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 June 2010

I want to start my review out by saying I spent several days reading all the negative reviews and had my reservation about this resort. So I knew going there what what everyone was complaining about. When we arrived at the resort the band was there playing and singing offering drinks for everyone. Our room was not ready but we were escorted to a restaurant for lunch. After lunch we were escorted to our room and given an overview of the resort. Our room was clean with great view overlooking the pool area. The resort staff was so nice and helpfull, Never was it hinted about tipping and I saw several people refuse tips. The food was great, if you go hungry it is your own fault, there are so many choices for you. The resort was not full during our stay and there were no waits at any restaurants or the water sports. I loved the live shows and bands. The kids loved sesame street and then the shows went toward more shows for adults. The internet is $40 but worked fine for me, alittle slow trying to send big pic files out but shrunk the files then it was fine
Yes the ride from the airport to resort is 2-2.5 hours but the view of how other people was great. The beach is small. There are people selling everything in the ocean but they stayed to one side and once you tell them NO or you buy something they leave you alone the rest of the week. I knew this before going there and was not expecting the 7 mile long white sandy beach. I didn't see anything not pictured on the website. If you understand this before going then you won't be disappointed.
This was our best vacation ever. If going back with the kids I would definatly stay there again.

P.S. Do the Mystic River Bobsledding Zipline tour. It is an A+++++++++++ trip

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscobel
88.6 km away
Moon Palace Jamaica
#7 of 35 in Ocho Rios
84.2 km away
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!