Brenley Farm
White Horse Inn(Boughton-under-Blean)
All reviewsbunk barnfamily roomhomemade jamsduck pondplay arealong driveother guestslocal producedover castlehen partyget togethergranolastayed for two nightstoastbreakfast was deliciousroom was spaciousa great stay
Reviewed November 5, 2017 via mobile

Thank you once again for a wonderful weekend. We are very grateful for your hospitality. The rooms and breakfast exceeded our highest expectations, and the egg collecting, hop factory and Lego City were amazing surprises! Thoroughly enjoyed by all...

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Maggie B, Owner at Brenley Farm, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2017

I'm so glad you enjoyed your weekend, it was a good time to be here with lots going on.

Reviewed October 9, 2017

My family stayed here for 2 nights last week and my children declared it to be the favourite part of their holiday (which included London and Paris). They are city kids, so there was the novelty factor, but this was indeed a very lovely way to end their trip.

We stayed in the family room, with is big. comfortable and perfect for couples with children. Our kids loved playing in the large outside play area and with Fergus the dog. The farm is very conveniently located (we used it as a base for trips to Dover and, even closer, Canterbury) and close to some lovely restaurants (recommended on the Brenley Farm website).

Maggie, the host, is very helpful and accommodating and runs the B & B professionally. And, despite earlier reviews, I have to put a word in for Nigel ("the grumpy farmer") - in fact, my kids INSISTED that I do so. He helped us out when we arrived at a time when Maggie had stepped out for a short while (introducing himself as "the grumpy farmer") and, even though it is clear the B & B is not his business (it is Maggie's, while his is the working farm) - he was happy to show us to our room. Later, he chatted to our kids about the farm and about Fergus, the dog and they insisted I clarify that he is not really grumpy at all.

Breakfast was by far the best I have ever had at a Bed and Breakfast (and I've stayed in a lot). There was an espresso machine (available at all times), as well as plunger coffee and tea available to order. The buffet was lovely, with unlimited make your own toast and a wonderful yoghurt parfait each day with granola, yoghurt, honey and fruit compote (the type of which varied), as well as fresh berries, yoghurt and homemade apple juice made from the farm's own Bramley apples. The hot meals could be ordered in the morning off the menu (the usual full English, as well as smoked salmon with scrambled eggs on a bagel and creamy mushrooms on toast) and came out as professional restaurant meals all at once and all hot. It was so well done that I asked Maggie if she had been a professional chef (and yes, she had been, as well as currently teaching cooking).

A lovely, relaxing, and conveniently located farm experience. Our children have insisted we must stay again.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Kym F
Reviewed September 29, 2017

We had two rooms for two nights. I would advise other guests to be wary of Google Maps - but we soon mastered the area. We enjoyed our visits to Faversham and Brogdale on the way down Dover Castle and Hythe on our day and then Walmer & Deal Castles on the way home. The rooms were spacious and comfortable, the breakfast delicious and the views wonderful. It would be lovely to visit in apple blossom time.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed August 24, 2017

Very charming and comfortable accommodation, tranquil and in delightful farm setting. Friendly and welcoming, rooms spacious, clean and comfortable with absolutley everything you could wish for. Access to garden, easy parking. Excellent breakfast with plenty of home grwon food, heaps of choice.

Stayed: August 2017
Reviewed August 18, 2017 via mobile

We recently visited the farm due to our friend big 60th birthday celebration. As we have a 20-month-old toddler we decided to stay at B&B rather camping with the rest of the group. A week prior to our stay I contacted the establishment to request a cot in our room and to also be placed in a quiet room.

When we arrived, we were very surprised to realize we were allocated the only room overlooking the marquee where there would be live music playing all evening.

Due to her curiosity at being away from home in a new place and the excitement of seeing the animals, my daughter managed to make herself very tired and did end up sleeping well.

Unfortunately, it was very clear that her curiosity was not appreciated by the owner/farmer of the business. For the majority of our stay he made unnecessary comments towards my daughters behavior.
On one occasion she wandered into a room where the farmer was reading his newspapers. He was suddenly very rude and upset at her coming into the ‘private part of the house.’ I found this extremely distressing as there were no signs to indicate any private areas of the house and she did not mean any harm.

The next morning she was having her breakfast and became very excited to see a dog come into the dining room and of course she wanted to stroke the dog. I was then told she was too hectic and needed to calm down, making us feel extremely unwelcome.

The accommodation itself is stunning and the breakfast was delicious with lots of options to choose from.
However, I would simply say that this is not the place to come with young children, and due to feeling very unwelcome at various occasions I would think twice about coming back to this B & B.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Maggie B, Owner at Brenley Farm, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2017

Thank you for your kind comments about our house, grounds and breakfasts. I'm sorry that you feel it necessary to post another review. I would like to make the following points.
1. Staff - that would be myself and my husband who welcome people to our family home and working farm. As it is our own house we do not have private signs on all the doors. In 20 years of B&B this has never caused any problems, as guests understand that they have access to their rooms and the dining room. They do not expect to go wandering around the rest of my house.
2. As I mentioned before, I was not responsible for room allocations, that was done by your host, who block booked and then informed me as to who was sleeping in which room. You had asked for a late checkout (afternoon) which I was not able to offer, as I had to turn the rooms around for new guests arriving that afternoon.
3. Music - as you will be aware from the level of the music there wasn't a quiet room in the house!
4. As regards your daughter, she went into our own sitting room where my husband was peacefully reading a newspaper and smacked him on the knee! Not hard but it did rather shock him and was not the sort of behaviour he would expect from an unknown child. I think he then called her precocious.
5. He has asked me to apologise for seeming to be child unfriendly, that's not the case, it is just his manner and many children enjoy his company as he takes them to see the hens, the tractors or into the orchard to pick themselves an apple.