“High Tea that beats the city '5*' experienced”
Review of Yarra Valley Lodge

Yarra Valley Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chirnside Park
Reviewed 12 April 2012

The High Tea was the best I've been too! The tier isn't prepared until you arrive, which means warm scones, pastries and sandwiches which aren't soggy! The sandwiches had an appropriate amount of fillings, the pastries were delicious and the scones... Some of the best scones I have EVER had! I'm a chocoholic and while the buffet selection looked and smelled enticing I wasn't going anywhere until I ate my second scone.
The only suggestion is more jam and cream please. We only had enough for 5/6 scones and barely. The tier with the sparkling wine and tea would've been a beautiful afternoon tea alone, but the Buffett was spectacular!
I criticized the Langham chocolate high tea because I felt strawberries and marshmallows weren't enough for the chocolate fountain, at the Heritage there were Strawberries that never ran out, kiwi, pineapple and melon. Much better selection and the chocolate was so good. I loved it!
Opposite the fountain was the buffet, so many choices, the majority delicious, cOnstantly replenished and new items were bought out throughout the afternoon. We didn't stay long (were way too full!) but we saw new items including a great cheesecake. This was a real chocolate buffet, lots of choices and some none Choc items to cleanse the palate. The passion fruit lemon tart was to die for!! I kept going back for more.
The staff were great, the tea came in plungers and was great. At first I thought it was weird afternoon tea started at 1pm, but it was so refreshing to have until 4pm so you could linger and go back as many times as you like. Always felt rushed going to teas that have sittings. This felt civalised!
I can't fault anything, the staff, the food, the price, the experience and the location. I can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Aussiej36
Bruce H, Manager at Yarra Valley Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2012

Thank you for the feedback regarding your High Tea experience at The Sebel Heritage.
It appears that you enjoyed the Sunday afternoon and appreciated the effort our team put in to ensure the day is special for all.

We look forward to seeing you again

Sincerely

Reviewed 11 April 2012

Our stay here was incredible, we booked a 2 night break for anniversary weekend. On arrival, we were treated to a bottle of champagne, had spa treatments and on arrival at dinner on the first night, the waiter presented us wwith another glass of bubly on celebration of our anniversary. The food was incredible, therapists in the spa were the best ive had. Overall the weekend was fantastic and made more special by the beautiful hotel and attentative staff. Would highly recommend this to any couple looking for a romantic weekend away.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback in relation to your recent stay with us at The Sebel Heritage Yarra Valley.

It is a pleasure to learn that you enjoyed such a wonderful stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 11 April 2012

What a beautiful place and I had some wonderful walks around the area. The staff couldn't have been more helpful especially in making sure my elderly mother (86) got to and from her spa treatment. (She loved both her treatments as well) They really went the extra mile. The room was spacious, cleaning staff helpful. We only ate in the bar but what a big meal and unusual for this type of complex, reasonably priced as well. The gym was adequate, didn't try the swimming pool. I thought the $15 for 30 mins internet charge was a bit over the top but loved the place overall.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for the feedback, I'm glad your experience at The Sebel Heritage was enjoyable.
I'm delighted the staff were attentive to your mothers needs and she enjoyed the spa treatment. We take pride in ensuring our guests feel welcome and the service is premium, so I'm also pleased you enjoyed the service and quality and quantity of the food.

Sincerely

Reviewed 9 April 2012

This was one of the most relaxing and pleasant stays I have had in a 5 star hotel. Quintessentially Australian with a natural vista of rolling hills, gum trees and cockatoos combined with a friendly and relaxed staff. If golf and local wineries are your bag, then more the better.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We stayed overnight to attend a wedding in the local area. Upon arrival we were greeted by very friendly and helpful staff who even went to the trouble of arranging a map to help us navigate from the hotel to the wedding venue. The room was perfect for our overnight stay, the chocolate on the bed was very much enjoyed, and the breakfast the next morning was fresh and plentiful. Due to time constraints we didn't get to experience much further of the hotel, but all agreed we would come back again. The friendliness and helpfulness from the staff at reception and at breakfast were the best we have experienced in a long time! I also purchased a high tea voucher for my parents as a gift over 12 months ago and they thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Room Tip: Get to breakfast early as it does get busy. Having said that, staff ensured food levels were kept at...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for your feedback, I was glad to read your review.
I'm pleased that the staff went out of their way to make you feel welcome and were forthcoming in helping you get to the wedding.

Our High Tea is quite spectacular and I'm thrilled your parents enjoyed their experience.

Reviewed 1 April 2012

My husband and I stayed over 2 nights for our wedding anniversary.
It is our second stay and last time we were surprisingly upgraded to a larger room.
Before we have arrived this time, I emailed the hotel to enquire whether we could be upgraded again, since we have an anniversary and it is our second stay. The reply from Sebel was that unless they are very busy there is a possibility we will be upgraded.
On arrival we were warmly greeted by hotel staff, but unfortunately upon entering our room, I realised that my request was ignored.
Hotel was not busy at all, in the morning there were another 2 couples having breakfast and that's all!
In my opinion, little treats, like upgrade go along way, especially if a customer requested it.
We loved the hotel last time, but were a bit disappointed this time: it is getting old and tired.
Rooms are clean, spacious and views to a golf course are beautiful, however hotel is crying for upgrade.
TV in the room was very old and small, I have never seen such a small TV in a hotel room before.
Surroundings golf fields are beautiful and there is also a little lake.
My husband and I walked for hours.
Restaurant is a big disappointment. For dinner we have ordered a soup and a fish and a soup came in what looked like a small saucepan with 2 tiny pieces of focaccia and that was $16.00!!! A real rip off. Fish was delicious but small and overpriced as well.
Buffet breakfast in the morning disappointed as well. Selection was not that great, but the worst part was the quality of the food.
Hot dishes were greasy and looked very oily and unappealing.
Selection of sweets was very limited and unattractive, they were also inedible.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lisa e

Thank you for the feedback regarding your visit to The Sebel Heritage.
I was disappointed to read that we did not live up to your expectations on this occasion and I have passed on the details to the relevant departments. We do take pride in the high standards we keep and I was alarmed that we didn't maintain these on this occasion.

Thank you again for the feedback.

Reviewed 31 March 2012

While I had a lovely stay at the hotel I was shocked at the treatment given to me by day spa staff. I had a massage booked in as part of a hotel package and on arrival mentioned that I would prefer a female therapist as not comfortable with a male massage therapist. I was told the roster would be checked and they would get back to me on that. I made it clear I was happy to not have a treatment if a female staff member wasn't available. Sitting in the waiting room I was given a male therapist and left to politely explain in front of everyone in the waiting room why I would feel more comfortable with a female therapist. I don't have anything against male massage therapists I just don't for my own reasons feel comfortable and I was made to feel very embarrassed for this opinion. I think they thought I would be too embarrassed to air my views in front of the waiting room and would just take the staff member they decided to give me. As you are undressed for a massage I think people should be respected on how they feel about gender of the therapist. I understand that there might not have been the staff available thats why I told the staff first- they probably thought they could still get my money if I was too embarrassed to say something when it was my turn.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank J C

Thank you for feedback regards to your experience at Mii Spa.
I was disappointed to read these comments and please rest assured I have passed the details on to the relevant areas.

Thank you again for you feedback.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chirnside Park
11.9 km away
Eltham Gateway Hotel & Conference Centre
13.2 km away
Balgownie Estate Vineyard Resort & Spa

Been to Yarra Valley Lodge? Share your experiences!