All reviews tree rats scuba diving dive centre great place to stay home from home mini zoo huge bathroom lobster casa particular beach towels air con high level separate house the bus minute cycle speaking english the main house
Reviewed February 13, 2018

We stayed at this casa for 5 nights in the middle of our trip to Cuba. Unfortunately, despite its high ratings on here and a listing in the October 2017 Lonely Planet, I didn't like the place. I am trying to be very fair here and have waited until we'd experienced all 5 casas and their hosts before putting pen to paper.

I have now read back the more negative previous comments and I'm afraid I must agree with them regarding the attitudes of the owners. Small business has been allowed in Cuba since 2011 and it's clear that Ivette and Ronel have done very well for themselves. They now have a set of houses rather than just one room (as I assume they will have started) and they employ several staff (all of whom were lovely).

Hosting:
Where I think they've got muddled is with their own roles and their customer service now that they have a bigger place. Despite the staff not speaking English (apart from Adrian who checked us in), Ivette only spoke to us once when I asked her a direct question, despite us being around and about her own house for 6 days, and Ronel not at all. She showed no interest in helping me sort out the bill (which was incorrect initially in several places) with her staff, even though she was there walking around eating her breakfast.

In contrast to every other host of a casa in Cuba that we stayed in, I did not find the owners either warm, welcoming or hospitable. I think if you're there you either need to host properly or you need to stay out of the way. Neither my friend nor I felt comfortable around the exterior of their casa as it was unclear whether we were really okay to use the furniture since the chairs were generally taken by the owners. It made things uncomfortable.

Room:
We stayed in the Azure room, which is at the back of the original house. This room has no natural light (an issue for me as I'm claustrophobic), an extremely dark (although good) bathroom and is also situated about 20 feet away from a set of 3 crocodiles in a pen, an area of tree rats, and an area of rabbits. Whilst I had heard mention of the 'crocodile farm' I was not expecting it to be this close to our room and I did not like it. Had I realised what it was like I would have either requested to stay somewhere else or in one of the rooms in the other building.

Noise:
There was also quite a lot of noise from time to time, we were woken by the sound of the fridge, the adjacent aircon, and some of the workers starting at 7am on some days. One evening the owners and their friends sat around drinking rum immediately outside our room when it was clear that we had gone to bed. I don't think this is on.

Overall I would recommend you stay somewhere else in Giron - it's a lovely little place but it's full of casas and there are many more good ones to choose from.

Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank woganmog
Reviewed January 10, 2018 via mobile

Ivette & Ronel house is a great place to stay! There, guests can find all what they need, everything! Information, comfortable and modern rooms and excellent food. The staff and the owners are friendly and polite and they will always help you in everything. If you go to Playa Giron don't miss the oportunity to visit them, Ivette will help you to make your vacation unforgettable!

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed December 31, 2017

Stayed here 2 nights in March- we had a lovely spacious room in a separate house to the main house, which were clean and comfortable, fridge, kettle & safe in the room. Ensuite bathroom. Patio to sit out on.
Breakfast served in the main house which was great for talking to other travellers. Breakfast was fresh every morning: juice, bread, cheese, eggs - however you wanted them cooked, coffe / tea. The host ( not Ivette or Ronel , as he was recovering from an operation) was wonderful spoke excellent English, we borrowed bicycles and cycled to a nearby beach, snorkels & beach towels were free to borrow. Went round the museum & caught the local bus to another beach for the day. Excellent for snorkelling, lots of diving opportunities if interested. Would recommend & defiantly stay again.

Date of stay: March 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed December 2, 2017

We had a really nice room. The hosts were very helpful and friendly, and we enjoyed their hospitality. We also enjoyed having some of our meals in the common dining room for the houses related to the case particular. We felt a very warm and joyful atmosphere among the people working and living in and around the case houses. We borrowed bicycles at the place and went to the nearby beaches. We also went to a beach, Cueva de los Paces, not far away where we had a unforgettable time snorkelling for fish in all colours. Tina and Henning, Denmark

Date of stay: November 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 23, 2017

Ivette and Ronel' s casa is wonderful to pass the holidays with the children. It is very safe and nice place with several things to do like swim on the Caribbean sea, horse ridding, birds watching and of course an amazing diving. In their house they have a zoo with rabbit (the kids loves rabbits), Cubans ducks, hutia (tree rats), crocodiles and fresh water turtles. You can use all property that has 4 houses and the patio of the first house is connected with the patio of the house number five, and the pass way between both of them is very nice and interesting. The price of the room includes bicycles and is very comfortable to ride around the village. Ivette is very kind and she will help in all that you need and Ronel is a great host too and is very funny.
The kitchen in Ivette and Ronel' s casa prepares the best meal and an excellent breakfast.
We recommend this house to everybody.

Room tip: All rooms are very good. The best are on back
Date of stay: October 2017