All reviews free pizza bed was comfortable spa bath shuttle bus concert auckland television kettle
Reviewed March 23, 2016

As alot of places in Auckland were fully booked and due to last minute flight cancellations by our airline, this place was the only one available for us but I wouldn't stay here again during the Summer. There is no aircon and only one fan available to cater for people who slept in the lounge room and in the bedroom. It was difficult to get a good nights rest but at least it provided us somewhere to stay. I must admit the room was clean and the sofa chairs were comfortable. There was a flat screen in the lounge room and one in the bedroom so the kids were able to enjoy abit of television. The bathroom is also modern with lots of space and plenty of towels to use among our family of 5. Great kitchenette facilities and also location was great. The only downfall is that you had to pay an extra NZ$8 per day for wifi (we were here for 2 days so ended up paying an extra $16). I was expecting free wifi as most of the places we have stayed in offered free internet connection.

Date of stay: January 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed March 18, 2016

I stayed here for 2 nights in February on business. Seems Auckland was very busy as most CBD hotels were way overpriced. I didn't need to be in the city so this was a good option. Its easy to get to, has off-street parking with comfortable rooms.

Despite no a/c in the rooms, I found the supplied fan sufficient - a little noisy, but sufficient nonetheless.

Some road noise, but not enough that I'd mark it as a negative - I've stayed in busy CBD hotels where guest and city noise is much worse.

There's no onsite dining but there is a wealth of options all within walking distance or a short drive.

If I'm working south side again, I'd stay here again.

Date of stay: February 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed March 17, 2016

Spent a couple of nights there in January before my onward trip to Thailand. Just bout right for what I needed. Room was comfy although was located next to the main road and there seems to be an ambulance station nearby so there was more than the fair share of emergency sirens. Good room facilities with fridge etc. All round good value for money although Wifi access is optional extra.

Date of stay: January 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed February 25, 2016 via mobile

I am writing this review while I lay awake on the 4th night of my stay. Each of the 4 nights had been fairly sleepless. My room is hot and has no air con. I cant open the windows because of the noise from the road. The bed is hard and uncomfortable. Each time someone walks past my room it sounds like a herd of elephants and then their door slams and my light shade rattles. OMG some people are so inconsiderate.

Each night after returning from a physically hard day at work I said good evening to the lady on the desk. I barely got a hello out of her.

I would have moved to somewhere else after the first night but I had trouble getting accommodation as most of Auckland was booked out.

Not an enjoyable stay at all.

Date of stay: February 2016
Trip type: Travelled on business
3  Thank Jackie R
Reviewed December 16, 2015

I'm not sure why they haven't come up with a nicer name for this quaint little inn. 540 Motel certainly doesn't do it justice. How about Otahuhu Inn?

540 Motel doesn't look like much as you're driving up, and the lobby is minimal. But we enjoyed our two night stay.

They advertise a free airport shuttle, but be aware that the shuttle service is ONE WAY ONLY, unless they happen to be making a trip to the airport to collect another arriving guest. If you want a ride back to the airport, you pay $45 for the same "free" shuttle service. Taxis also charge $45 to the airport from here. Save yourself $20 and arrange for an Uber driver on your cell phone.

The shuttle driver was wonderful upon our arrival at the airport. He answered a lot of questions and even took us on a little tour of downtown Otahuhu's historic street. He pointed out banks, the bus station, a grocery store, and a great Thai restaurant.

The free wi-fi advertised by the hotel is non-existent. Service is limited to 50 megabytes per day (NOT Gs), which isn't enough to check your email. We decided to pay for wi-fi @ $8. Service terminates at 8:30 am regardless what time you buy it. And you're limited to one gig for $8.

Even the paid wi-fi is just awful. The router was relocated right into our room to try to improve reception, but we still struggled with a connection barely faster than dial-up, that kept blipping on and off.

We asked about paying even more than $8 to upgrade to the highest speed, but the receptionist said it isn't any better. I know wi-fi service can be better than this because we had excellent wi-fi at an airport hotel in Mangere, a few kilometers away.

Other than the misleading advertising re free shuttle and free wi-fi, we had a very good experience here. Our large queen studio room was at the end of a hallway in back, and we heard zero traffic noise all night despite having a major highway out front. The bed was very comfortable, as were the pillows.

A quaint little sitting area in the yard outside was visible from our room's bay windows. Darkening curtains on the big windows kept morning light away, but the little windows over the bed need blinds because light pours through. To make the room more charming, they could replace the drab brown curtains with prettier window coverings.

Our room was very well equipped with a mini refridge, microwave, two burners for cooking, a kettle, toaster, two small pots, dishes, real wine glasses, salt and pepper, coffee, tea, hot chocolate and milk.

Cupboards and drawers provide plenty of space for food supplies if you're staying awhile. Dish soap and cloths are provided too.

The bathroom had a fabulous spa tub large enough for two, with lots of hot water. Toiletries included shampoo, conditioner, lotion, body wash, and bar soap. Plenty of thick towels and even a cute make-up remover cloth were provided.

There was no bathroom counter space for personal care items, but small a shelf underneath the sink did the trick.

A small space heater kept the room toasty warm on chilly nights. There was no AC that we could see, but we certainly didn't need any during our stay. I did use the extra very thick blanket I found in a drawer. We noticed a large electric floor fan, probably necessary for warmer nights.

The room had a closet area with no door. They might consider installing mirror doors on it because there's no full length mirror in the room.

Other furnishings included an iron and board, a tiny 3-drawer dresser, two nightstands, a phone, alarm clock, and a small flat screen with a few good channels.

The room was spotless clean when we arrived. I wasn't crazy about the 10:00 a.m. checkout deadline.

There's no restaurant, no pool, and no fitness center on site. The location is convenient to several restaurants though, as well as the bus station, maybe a 5-6 block walk. The bus will take you downtown for $5 one-way (you pay the driver cash.)

540 Motel was surprisingly nice and well appointed. We liked everything except the wi-fi and the one-way airport shuttle.

Date of stay: December 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
540Motel, General Manager at 540 on Great South Motel, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2015

Thank you for your feedback. As explained to you the Free shuttle operates at certain times of the day for arrivals and departing guests with flights, outside of these times or for guests not flying they need to arrange a Taxi or Shuttle. You advised that you were not flying and wanted to go to a rental car company instead. We advised that if there was another departing guest to the Airport we would let you join them. Apologies for the Wifi service, Kind regards.