“Disappointing”

Ranked #8 of 19 Dieppe B&B and Inns
Warrington, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 26 August 2011

This is not a hotel, it's a restaurant with rooms. There's no lift even though there are four floors. I asked for a hair dryer (standard in most hotels) but was made to feel the request was unreasonable. There was no concept of customer service towards guests.

Parking was a serious problem on the seond night and our car was towed away because of the Saturday market. Hotel staff were unhelpful and failed to warn us of this possibility. It was time-consuming and expensive to get our car back.

We had thought about dining at the hotel but the staff's approach was so ungracious that in the end we only had breakfast. This was not good value.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are stuffy and there's no lift. To be avoided.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HandP_11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2010

On Saturday morning I needed to go to Newhaven to pick up an undelivered package and seeing as my gf took the car keys to India with her, I went by train.
Next thing I know, with passport with me for ID purposes, I end up on the Seven Sisters LD lines boat.
I got the hotel recommendation from the office de tourisme - I would normally research travelling details to death - but things worked out fine. The office de tourisme was tricky to find as a nice lady on the ferry gave me a photocopied map that was out of date - basically where the office should have been was a building site. Quick beer in pleasant cafe Suisse soon sorted out my directions.
I ended up with the 44euro rate and decided to pay for breakfast = 1 croissant, about 20cm of french stick, plum jam, butter, oj and coffee.
I was going to have an evening meal - but the rate of room=breakfast+meal came out at about 90euros and I just could not see how the figures added up when I saw the tarriff on the menu - so I excused myself from the evening meal and went out for a pizza - the hotel staff didn't mind at all - restaurant was full. Sams pizza restaurant was very nice - the owner helpfully sorted out my ignorance of some of the ingredients.
Room was clean and fairly spacious. Shower was powerful. Good old fashioned small CRT TV was fine. Pillow smelled a bit of cigarettes, but not too bad.
Only problem was that there was no lift - I was on the top, fourth floor - stairs were a bit rickety, so I made sure I limited my alcohol content.
Spent the evening in the le Cambridge pub. Watched Real Madrid win 6-1 on a very good quality big pj screen and then listened to some excellent live music.
Also visited the 19 Auot 1942 museum and le chateau musee - both excellent. And had dinner at the Algeroise restaurant - food was beautiful, but I had about a weeks supply of cous cous on my plate and I should have given up sooner.
On my own, I was a bit bored in the end - not all that much to do there

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2010

If you would like to get away from the madness of Dieppe's quayside 'restaurants', full of chip-chomping idiots, escape to this little haven for a wonderful lunch. Although quite expensive, the food and service are excellent and the atmosphere welcoming and relaxing, although the place itself was buzzing on the Sunday we visited. Enjoy!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
brighton england
Reviewed 26 July 2010

We decided last minute to take a break in Dieppe and booked this place at the last minute. On arrival we met the owner and were shown to our top floor room about 70 stairs. We had a view of the Château and the roofs of the town accompanied with a chorus of gulls. The room was nicely decorated with double and a single bed, good shower and toilet all on suite.
For the 100euro per night price dinner was included this was from a good selection of 3 courses and all the meals we had were very good and highly recommended. All the staff are courteous and do their best to help with enquiries although their English is not good (better than my French) On Saturday you are woken by the activity below as the market gets set up, this is an impressive site and takes over the town for the day.
Overall the hotel and town are excellent and well worth a break, the town has plenty of small shops and churches to visit and the lack of English voices may mean this is a forgotten gem.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cinders1963
East sussex
Reviewed 2 September 2009

We stayed in the hotel for one night, this was our second time. The first much more memorable which is why we returned with our son. A birthday treat. The rooms I booked 2 with a little balcony. Clean and completely passable. The dinner in the evening was a disapointmment. The waitress was curt and when i asked for a table in the corner she insisted that because we were only 3 that table was for 4, only to give it away 5 minutes later to 3 french guys. She was most inhospitable and not at all curteous and so the evening was a damp squid and not the pleasant evening that i had been looking forward to. The food was OK but the green salad as the starter was pathetic 5+ euros for a miniscule amount of brown lettuce and some extremly peppery radishes. The fois gras was again a very small amount and to get the toast was impossible my husband had finished his portion before it arrived by the said waitress who was truly useless. She did not suggest a sauternes to go with it and definately needs retraining in a chefs school. I think there oven probably needs replacing because the bread rolls turned up charred as they did for breakfast reheated to a cinder. Croissants also burnt on the bottom. I would not return I shall try another of the hotels in Dieppe I think that Logis should visit incognito.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Lewes, East Sussex
Reviewed 11 August 2009

We visit Dieppe often, sometimes booking an apartment, other times an hotel. There is little choice of hotel in Dieppe at the economy level: Etap, Tourist, Arcades and Duquesne, basically, with no great difference in price. The seafront hotels are all faded petit-grandeur and other options are expensive sterile modernity, so for us, these four are the only choice.

We stayed at the Duquesne a couple of times before it suffered the big fire, and a couple of times since the refurbishment that followed. It is very nicely located, the rooms are clean and spacious enough, the ablutions likewise, but there is the feeling that it rather fancies itself, as evidenced by the restaurant. Clearly the French themselves frequent the eatery, but it is terribly bourgeois and we felt a tad patronised, like we'd arrived uninvited to the golf club dinner. If the State didn't decide the star rating, I expect it would award itself four stars at least.

I don't like to feel I am being condescended to, when I speak good French and am a decent cook in my own kitchen, and a hushed air of sanctity when dining is not good for my digestion. Although, last visit, their Andouilettes stank of drains and were left uneaten, the menu is of reasonable quality, quite varied and not too expensive until you come to the wine, where they really lay it on thick. A damned good Cotes du Rhone shouldn't be more than 16E.

It all comes across as a bit precious and smug in that particularly petit-bourgeois Gallic way. It could be cosy, charming and romantic if they unclenched a little and were truly friendly rather than professionally cordial-with-a-touch-of-frost. Such a change of attitude might then have a chance to permeate the whole hotel.

Clean, reasonably priced, well located and authentic, I would recommend a stay as long as you eat elsewhere (spoilt for choice) and you don't try to engage with le patron, who may view the attempt as sycophancy!

Marks out of five are awarded relevant to the hotel's price bracket. You don't expect Heals furniture at IKEA prices.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RobandSusan
US
Reviewed 13 June 2009

I stayed at Au Grand Duquesne for one week while on business in Dieppe. The hotel is clean and located right in the town center near to shops, bakeries and other magasins. There is a restaurant in the hotel that serves breakfast, lunch, dinner but it is extremely expensive and not worth it. Breakfast (6.8 euros) consisted of 1 small glass of juice and some croissants. It is better to eat elsewhere or buy food at the stores and eat in your room. I also had a small problem during my time there and needed the use of laundry facilities as everything in the town is often closed, especially at night and on holidays and weekends. The staff were not very accommodating and slightly rude about the entire affair. I realize that my french is pas parfait but I am able to get around quite easily. When I told my Dieppe friends about this experience, they all recommended to stay at the Etap hotel and so next time, I will.

Travellers are raving about these Dieppe hotels