“Start of the Hinterland trail”

Devil's Bridge Falls
Reviewed June 1, 2014

We have recently become fans of the BBC4 crime drama Hinterland...hence our visit to the area. The falls were just as we had anticipated but a long way down and quite steep at parts. Beautiful views and fantastic opportunity for photographs. We had a 20% discount voucher downloaded from the internet but then we had to pay separately to visit the bridge on the other side of the road. This was through a turnstile charging £1 each. It would've been easier to pay for everything in advance. Definitely worth a visit even if you haven't watched the drama! Jacobs ladder consisted of a number of steps that were tricky underfoot, appropriate footwear and a good stomach for heights is required.

Georgina H, General Manager at Devil's Bridge Falls, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2014

The Hinterland series have been a great hit. The falls and Devil's Bridge episode was filmed in winter 2013. The weather was perfect as the mist was low and the trees were bare making the place look very eerie indeed. I'm glad that you weren't disappointed by the scenery. Thank you visiting and for your great review.

All reviews
"afraid of heights"
"walking difficulties"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed May 31, 2014

Visited the falls yesterday, the sun was shining which gave us the most fantastic views. The steps were a bit hard to tackle at times and I had to stop a few times to catch my breath but it was worth it for the spectacular scenery. I recommend anyone visiting to wear sensible walking shoes as the steps can be very slippery at times. Wouldn't risk them in the rain. Great day out though and the tea rooms down the road does a nice cup of tea.

1  Thank Sam M
Georgina H, Manager at Devil's Bridge Falls, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2014

Thank you for your lovely review. I'm glad that you enjoyed the walk. It is tiring but at least there is no time limit and you can rest on the benches as you walk around.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

We visited this with my elderly uncle and aunt. The access to the falls is via lots of steps of varying difficulty. In particular the section ..Jacobs ladder is very steep and requires great care to navigate. It is worth the effort to see the falls which are pretty spectacular. However I do think that it could have been made easier if the step heights had been limited. There were many places where an additional step should have been made to reduce the height which in many places must ahve been 18 inches high!!

I agree that some of the steps are higher than usual but due to the rock and steepness of the walk it is very hard to add extra steps. However I am glad that your aunt and uncle managed to go the whole way around the walk. Thank you for visiting and thank you for your review.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

Beautiful place we got some stunning pictures, it was very steep in parts, mainly the area named Jacobs Ladder, we bought the book for 50p which gave you points to stop at and had information to read, it a nice walk but a hard walk up to the top. I must admit that I had to stop to catch my breath a few times. Even our golden retriever was worn out by the time we reached the car.
Its not great for small children, my partner carried out 2 year most of the way round.
But as you arrive at the top there a a pub for a well earned drink! :-)
Also dogs can visit for free, its worth a visit, just wear GOOD shoes to walk in, we was told there are about 400 steps!!

1  Thank ChannyInTheSky
Georgina H, General Manager at Devil's Bridge Falls, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2014

Thank you for leaving your review. It's nice to hear from dog owners. Our concerns are that some dogs do find the steps quite difficult if they are small or old. I'm glad that you found the walk beautiful and enjoyed your visit even though it was tough going.

See more reviews
Reviewed May 27, 2014

My husband and I have visited the area for many years and as we were staying locally decided it would be a great way to walk off a hearty breakfast. Never having managed to visit Devils Bridge before we decided to take advantage of the 20% discount voucher which is found on the website and were not disappointed, the sun shone and the views of the falls and mountainous area were fantastic, It is very steep in places and I agree perhaps a warning for those less able should be more visible, however we chose to stop in a couple of places to take in the view and to regulate our heart rates! and feel we absolutely got our moneys worth. Take it steady and enjoy the views, wear sensible footwear and you will have a great experience.

I'm pleased that you had the chance to visit the waterfalls after so many visits to Devil's bridge and that you used the 20% discount voucher you found on our website. Thank you for your review.