“Too many mistakes!”
Review of The Hafod Hotel

The Hafod Hotel
Reviewed 11 October 2017

My husband and I booked for a single night (our 48th wedding anniversary!) We chose the Hafod Hotel in part because my family all come from the Devil's Bridge area. It looked wonderful, so I booked through the website and was delighted to secure a "superior double room". I registered the fact that we are both vegetarians and that 1 of us also needed the food to be gluten-free. We arrived mid-afternoon to find the office closed but a notice informing us that we should register in the bar. The young woman serving there was very busy and we waited patiently until the bar customers had all been served. She found us on a list and handed us a room swipecard, but didn't say what number room we were in. Fortunately, I had noticed a 24 next to our names so we headed to room 24, which was enormous and impressive, with a view over the gorge. As we had been walking before we arrived, my husband headed into the ensuite for a shower, while I settled onto the sofa to look at "Hinterland", the book. The seating end of the room was rather dark so I had to move the standard lamp from next to the bed, where it had been replacing a broken bedside lamp. When I went to shower I looked around for a complimentary shower cap to keep my hair dry as the shower head was fixed to the ceiling some 10 feet above the floor. I searched in vain, gave up and washed instead. When we went down t the bar to eat, I asked if there was a spare shower cap and explained the difficulty. I was surprised by the defensiveness my request was met with. I was told that it was a "monsoon" shower and did I realise that our booking had been upgraded to a "suite"? Well, I didn't, but all I was asking for was a shower cap, which wasn't available . We also asked if the heated towel rail could be turned on.
Looking at the menu, we realised that the online menu was THE menu, not a sample menu and that actually none of the vegetarian options was also gluten-free. We asked the waitress's advice and were told that any of the options could be served gluten-free and she suggested swapping spaghetti for cous-cous! Eventually the chef produced an amazing aubergine steak on a bed of vegetables. After supper I asked, in the absence of a shower cap, if I might have a plastic bin-liner and some string to put over my hair while I showered. These I was given, but no apology. Returning to our room, we found that the heated towel rail still wasn't working and there were no instructions to help us. The back of the room door was absolutely empty, so there were also no instructions on what to do in case of a fire. This was upsetting as only a few weeks previously the Grenfall Tower fire had heightened awareness of the dangers of fire. Apparently, the room had only been finished and decorated a few days before our stay and, to my mind shouldn't have been made available until everything was fully functioning. I subsequently sent an email to the hotel and asked that it be passed on to the owners for comment , but I haven't had a reply to date. Needless to say, we won't be rushing back to the Hafod anytime soon!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 September 2017

Myself and my partner stayed here a couple of weeks ago, the room we stayed in was very dated and run down but clean...the uneven floor caused some amusement when everything we put on the bedside table slid off onto the floor ( maybe not quite as funny when it was my boyfriends full glass of wine that he had just brought lol)... but the hotel is in the process of being renovated and the pictures of the 4 rooms that are finished looks great.
We drank in the bar and i had a luvly Pimms, although we didn't eat I wished i was hungry as the food looked and smelt gorgeous and the staff were friendly and helpful.
The hotel is in a great spot right on the Bridge with fabulous views and walks.
I would definitely come again hopefully when the renovations are finished.

Room Tip: Get one of the rooms that have been renovated
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2017

Hafod hotel - beautiful new room. "That place was amazing" was a quote from one of our group. Food was great. Service was awesome. We got there at ~1500 and they were out of scones. The chef whipped up a new batch and we had warm scones with our tea. The trout at dinner was fantastic. The rooms were new and very nicely decorated and furnished. Beds very comfy. Parking was out behind the hotel and a small walk to and from. There may have been a back way on a path, but it was overgrown. The staff was great, but our waitress for both dinner and breakfast was WAY too overworked. They just didn't have enough help when where were there. Would highly recommend this hotel and restaurant though.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tyson B
Reviewed 16 September 2017

We visited the Hafod for our anniversary meal and the team ensured we had a fantastic evening. The staff were great, attentive and super friendly and the food, well that was incredible! I highly recommend the lamb shank but everything we tried was well presented and top quality. It was a pleasant surprise to find generous portion sizes, which combined with this level of food standard is rare.

In summary, I highly recommend the Hafod and if you get the chance stay in one of the newly refurbed rooms go for it!. The management have great taste, these are a very high standard too.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

A lovely location, totally spoilt by the very poor service and extremely arrogant and rude service provided here
Waited well over an hour for our table and then over half an hour more for our starters, and they didn’t all come at the same point in time. The last starter came at the same time as the mains!!! The mains appeared at different times!
On the way out the older barman said.... 'Well if you don't like it don't come back'...
Staggering!!! Rude and ignorant. Fawlty Towers without the laughs!!!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank mike_mustoe
Reviewed 5 September 2017

We didn't get off to the best of starts with this stay. We arrived earlier than the specified booking in time but were shown the room. I noticed that it didn't have a wardrobe but were advised that a workman was about to put some sort of rail up. We agreed to come back in a couple of hours which we did but the rail still hadn't been put up. We asked to change rooms which we did but the 3 sockets where the kettle didn't work. We were advised to boil the kettle where the bedside lamp was. At least there was a wardrobe in that room. There were other issues such as where the hotel car park was which made it totally unusable for us. It was a shame as the room was very nice and had been recently refurbished (but obviously not finished). It was disappointing as we paid £125 per night for 3 nights. We never really got any sort of apology so would not stay there again.

Room Tip: Room 3 was pleasant as long as the electric sockets have been finished!
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2017 via mobile

We stayed for 1 night. I struggled to book directly with the hotel (this was the cheapest option ) so ended up book via booking. Com. They have renovated 4 rooms. The room we stayed in had not been renovated. The decor was tired and old fashioned. Despite this the bathroom was modern. The bed was comfortable but squeaky! Soundproofing was an issue. We could hear conversation from people in the hall and someone else's alarm in the morning. Despite this I would stay again, the location was beautiful. For a longer stay it would make a good base for the local area. Vegetarian breakfast very good.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Devil's Bridge (Pontarfynach)
18.4 km away
#5 of 13 in Aberystwyth
Gwesty Cymru
Gwesty Cymru
#1 of 13 in Aberystwyth

Been to The Hafod Hotel? Share your experiences!