“Beautiful afternoon on the Shalamar a highlight of our trip to Puerto Rico”

Vieques Classic Charter - Tours
Ranked #1 of 9 things to do in Esperanza
More attraction details
Owner description: Sail on a Classic Wooden Sailboat built in 1941 with highly experienced Captain Sebastian and sailing crew. Sail and swim off the boat in Vieques crystal, turquoise waters.Your charter Includes snorkelling and sightseeing as well as fresh catered meal and drinks. See Vieques from a different view while sailing on a yacht that is part of Sailing History.
Reviewed August 14, 2017

Our 4 hour day sail on the Shalamar was delightful. I learned of Vieques Classic Charter through an online article on Harpers Bazaar, detailing an editor's stylish trip to Vieques, and if you're looking for photogenic, it doesn't get much better than a sail on this gorgeous sailboat from 1941 around the lush beaches and reefs of Vieques. While picture perfect, our captains Sebastian and McCoy were friendly, funny, and warm. The morning of our scheduled sail, we were unsure of how the weather would treat us -- Captain Sebastian graciously offered to change the date of the sail to a day with a more definite forecast -- but we decided to roll the dice and were rewarded with sunshine and full sails. On board the Shalamar, we never wanted for drinks, such as rum punch, the local Medalla, or water with lemons or limes. After swimming and snorkeling in a quiet cove with an active reef, we were treated to a delicious and satisfying lunch (which included mangos from Sebastian's garden), during which we had the most interesting and enjoyable conversation with our hosts, who make you feel as if you're out sailing with friends. Our four hours on the Shalamar left us pleasantly tired from the sun, swim, and surf, and I can say without hesitation that we'd happily return for another sail at any chance.

1  Thank Olivia S
in 20 reviews
"sebastian"
in 170 reviews

Reviewed July 17, 2017 via mobile

Captain Sebastian and first mate Paul made this day in Vieques one to remember. My girlfriend and I were welcomed onto the beautiful wooden sail boat Shalamar as the only 2 guests for the day. Sebastian and Paul made us feel welcome, at home, and safe on the sea. All of our needs were catered to as we sailed drink in hand, Sebastian even letting us captain the ship for a bit. We stopped at a secluded location to snorkel while lunch was prepared and ate a delicious meal under the Caribbean sun. The entire journey was spectacular from start to finish.

Captain Sebastian even went out of his way to return a GoPro accessory I had left on the boat, contacting me at the hotel I had told him we were staying at and returning it to me there.

If in Vieques, this is not something to pass up! Will recommend to anyone I know coming to this beautiful island!

Reviewed July 6, 2017

When the weather canceled our original sail we were concerned it wouldn't happen but Captain Sebastian is a true pro and stayed in constant contact with us to make sure it did. And we are so glad it did. From the moment you meet Sebastian on the pier in Esperanza he is immediately warm and friendly and genuinely interested in finding out more about you and what he can do to make the sail perfect. If you are in a small group (like we were) he was also fantastic at finding common threads to build quick friendships.

Sebastian and First Mate Paul were wonderful, on our sail the experience level ranged from my sailboat loving husband to someone who was quick to queasy, he made sure everyone was accommodated. My husband loved sailing the beautiful Shalamar and Sebastian made sure no one got sick.

The rum punch Paul can make at a 30 degree angle is delicious and generous and Sebastian can make a fantastic lunch. There really was no way our trip could have been better and we feel like we made 6 new friends!

P.S. Captain Sebastian has some fantastic jokes.

Reviewed June 28, 2017

This was the first time I have taken a half-day sailing charter, and Captain Sebastian and Paul have set the bar incredibly high. It was an amazing time, and when I next find myself on Vieques seeking out Captain Sebastian for a charter will definitely be at the top of my list. Every aspect of the day was top notch! You won't be disappointed.

See more reviews
Reviewed June 25, 2017

Captain Sebastian and Paul created a fantastic day for my fiancee and I! Every part of the experience exceeded our expectations. We were greeted at the dock by Sebastian and from that moment on the fun and adventure didn't stop. Sebastian and Paul have not only the sailing down to a science, but let you do as much or as little of the work as you would like. I was more than happy to take the wheel as we headed out to sea. Sebastian and Paul shared information about the extensive history of the boat and their favorite parts of Vieques. They are incredibly skilled at entertaining and being exceptional hosts. We felt that we could roam around the boat, were treated to home made lunch and delicious drinks, and the snorkeling and water time were phenomenal. As we sailed back towards the dock, we enjoyed stunning views of the ocean and the island. I would not hesitate to recommend this experience to anyone looking for a unique and first-rate experience on the water.