“Fabulous ”

Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in Esperanza
Price range: US$15 - US$40
Good for: View, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Fine dining located on the waterfront in Esperanza. Innovative cuisine with lots of flavors. Featured items include fresh local seafood, specialty cocktails, and local greens. Vegan and vegetarian items also available.
Reviewed August 1, 2017 via mobile

Great place, very welcoming. The food was fabulous - a very original mix of modern cuisine with local traditions. We will definitely come back!

Reviewed July 19, 2017

El Quenepo continues to be my favorite restaurant in Vieques. The menu is a fair size on options, they continue to combine Caribbean flavors with other twist, like we tried a Salmon Filet that look like a huge sushi and had great local yet asian flavors.

Reviewed July 19, 2017 via mobile

As we had hoped, this was a fine dining experience rather than a place to grab a quick dinner. The menu was interesting and well thought out, with an island twist. The prices were high, but not unduly so and we definitely got what we paid for! The ceviche, goat masala and sorbet trio were all exceptional but everything else was also very good. This was the perfect atmosphere and quality for a nicer evening out in Esperanza.

1  Thank lara_lox
Reviewed July 13, 2017

I don't understand the good reviews for this place. The food is good until we received a rare piece of pork that was severely undercooked. We turned it back and the owner promptly informed us that there were articles written 10 years ago how red pork is ok to eat (isn't the customer always right?). She then proceeded to say to order another meal as she didn't want us to be hungry. Assuming that would be comped we complied and were charged for everything and further harassed by staff when questioning why we were being charged for their mistake. Worst experience in a restaurant I have ever had in my life (they threatened to call the police when we refused to pay for their mistake as well saying that this is the Spanish police and you don't want to mess with them). What a joke.

4  Thank nicolausinboston
KateVieques, Owner at El Quenepo, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2017

Our first owner response to your first review.
Dear nicolausinbos,
We are glad to hear that you felt the food at El Quenepo was good until you received a piece of properly cooked pork. For years we have suffered under the assumption that pork should be cooked well done at 160 degrees Fahrenheit. This equals dry, tough meat. Thank goodness the FDA recognized in 2011 that we no longer had to gnaw at our tough pork tenderloin. We can now cook pork to a succulent, moist, delicious 145 degrees or medium rare. This will yield a slight pink color that indicates the pork has been cooked to its true potential. When your dining companion “turned back” the pork dish we offered to cook it further for her. We understand that the change to medium rare can be difficult and the guest is always right when they prefer a less than optimal temperature for their meat. She declined to have the remaining pork medallion recooked.
It was my pleasure to offer your dining companion another entrée. We did not want her to go hungry although you argued with her decision to order and told her she did not need anything else. I was a bit shocked at your comment as I waited for her decide on which entrée might satisfy her hunger. I was also shocked at the acrid comments you made to me and your dining companion. We were delighted to serve her the flavorful, pork carnitas which she decided to take to go as you were eager to leave our lovely restaurant.
We will fast forward through the rest of the meal to the check presentation. As your partner did not enjoy the succulent tenderloin we removed that from your bill. Your dining companion reviewed the check and told the server she expected her new entrée and drinks to be taken off the bill for our mistake. We are a restaurant and are not in the business to give away food when we have not made a mistake.
Your dining companion presented an American Express for payment. Unfortunately, we do not accept American Express. This is stated on all of our publicity materials, website, signage as well as the bottom of the menu. You both stated you had no other forms of payment. I suggested that one of you return to the fabulous Hix Island House to retrieve another form of payment from your safe. You declined and said you were not paying. After you insisted that you would not pay this left me no recourse but to call the Vieques police. The “lady” at the table then disparaged me for my Southern upbringing and made an inappropriate comment.
Magically, it truly was a miracle, a Visa card appeared on the table. We processed your payment and the police were averted (thank goodness as most of them only speak Spanish and I would have had to translate for you). We hope you find happiness, properly cooked pork, and open mindedness in your future adventures.
Regards,
Kate Cole “the Sweet Southern Girl”

Reviewed July 5, 2017

My husband and I enjoyed two meals here during our honeymoon. It was the only restaurant on Vieques we wen't two twice. The food was great. The goat cheese cheesecake was delightful. Most of all the people were fantastic. Lulu (I hope I spelled your name right) was a delight and has some of the best insider tips for the island! Kate, the owner was fantastic, and even helped us with other restaurant suggestions! We also had very good waiters both of the nights we were there, and some great cocktails!

2  Thank AaronT2111