“Pleasant rustic feel & with quiet, economical rates for best in Wellington.”
Review of Bristol Motel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Bristol Motel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Upper Hutt
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Pleasant rustic feel & with quiet, economical rates for best in Wellington.”
Reviewed 19 November 2010

I would have to rate this as the best place to stay in Wellington, for quietness at least. The reasons I state this are the following... Only thing is I am conscious that upon noting it with others of its appeal, others may commercialise it and otthers flock there, thereby affecting it's cul de sac nature. It's laid back, rustic feel to it / country atmosphere, though in the heart of the Hutt. If yer like me yer want quiet place to stay in Wellington, then this it, as trains prevalent in Wellington area for sat overs, but not there in the hutt, and it's off the main st.

Of course it's not perfect so wish to highlight other points, maybe looking as 'bad' points. I noticed in my room, light/power switches etc, were visibly marked and dirty / unclean from at least the previous guests, though the feel overall for me was that of rusticness. I just cleaned these areas myself. If TV3 NZ Target were there they would've homed in on them. There were no post areas for me to appraise the motel as a guest for the host(s) to consider, nor offered me same. One thing (only my opinion of course) Helen is more amicable in reception than that of her partner. I found him to be somewhat cold as opposed to the friendly warm inviting nature of Helen. I was talking with him before leaving, and he just walked off, saying no more, which I (even if I didn't like me, wouldn't do as a host of a motel to a guest). I could put this down to being the general mentality of the general public of Wellington being different in personal attributes than say Chch or Dn people, etc. It's a good thing to have an opportunity to place feedback at the motel, but no real opportunity to do same by host given oir available. Yet it might be a good idea for them to look into this together, as it's like after sales service which I personally found lacking (once money taken, they leave yer to it). The other thing to bring to the table is there's no negotiating fee, which I rather have available from a consumer point of view for obvious reasons. The night I went there, had no other guests about, so it's not like the competition was high and sought after for a stay there. I had stayed at this motel about 6 years ago, previous owner was negotiable and better suited to the motel industry, but mostly this motel itself ROX given the poor competition elsewhere Well!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank MX5owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Perth
Reviewed 19 April 2010

Had booked this property over the internet as it looked quite good. In reality it is cold, old, dark and tired. The 'family' room was a combined lounge/bed area with two beds and a tiny two seater couch and a massive flat screen TV on the wall ( not sure how the 'family' was to be seated in here as there was not enough room to put the cat down, let alone swing it). The tiny kitchen was towards one end of the room, fitted out with the usual items and was adequate. The small main bedroom had a queen and a single, which was minus a leg so it sagged. The heating in the room didn't work, so the 'host' provided a two bar electric heater, which we had turned on nearly all the time as the rooms were freezing thanks to the panes of glass missing in the toilet, which ran and dripped all night long. The bathroom has been renovated, like the rest of the brick-built unit where everything has been painted over with grey paint, but was still a shower over a bath. Towels etc adequate. The bathroom door was also off it's runner and couldn't be put back, so you had to actually lift it out of the way to enter the bathroom and rest it against the wall. A group of workmen were staying long term in the surrounding units, and having to trawl through their mud and mess of boots and cigarette butts morning and evening was the pits, as was their laughter and talking all night long outside our room while they smoked. It looks as it is, an old and tired hotel with a coat of paint. On hearing where we were staying, our relations offered us a room for the second night of our stay, however the 'host' wouldn't allow us to terminate even giving with 24 hour's notice, not even when appealing to their 'better side'. Regardless of this, given the state of the room, the inadequacy of the description 'family room???" and the run-down state, I would not recommend this property.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank IFeet

Travellers are raving about these Upper Hutt hotels

Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2009

We stayed here for two weeks after a nightmare in a hotel in Wellington. Barry and Helen go out of their way to make your stay very comfortable. We stayed in the family studio which would comfortably sleep 5 people. I had a king size bed and there were 3 other single beds. The bathroom is a bit cold but you don't usually get bad winters in New Zealand and you are not in the bathroom that often. We had a bath and a shower in our unit and the bath was massive. There are electric blankets in every bed and the units are serviced daily. There is Internet access at the local library which is about a half hours walk away or about 10 minutes by car with a public car park right next door. Helen even went to the bother of giving me a lift to a job interview. How many people do you know who would do that? I would recommend anyone to stay here.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
norwich,england
Reviewed 19 July 2007

after a nightmare start to our stay in wellington we came across this little gem of a place. the hosts were friendly and very accommodating to our needs and requests. the studio was spacious and clean. flat screen t.v., microwave and hob, sink but no draining board though. bathroom was a little chilly in the mornings too. no bath but very large shower. new towels everyday and beds made. if staying for more than two nights opt for the larger room. this is a nice alternative to staying in wellington many guests come back year after year as we discovered when we were staying there.

• Liked — hosts
  • Disliked — no internet/ cold bathroom
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
Hawk's Inn Motel
#6 of 6 in Upper Hutt
6.3 km away
Tranquility Homestay Bed & Breakfast

Been to Bristol Motel? Share your experiences!