“Best Wedding Location EVER”

The Kapalua Villas, Maui
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Kapalua
Reviewed 3 May 2008

We have just returned from a wonderful stay at the Kapalua Villas, where we and our guests stayed for our wedding on 4/28. My wife and I were in Bay Villa 23 G1 for 6 nights and were VERY reluctant to leave. So many positives, and very few negatives. I'll try to separate out my comments by category:

Villa:

Our 1BR/1 1/2 BATH villa was very well-appointed, modern, and spacious. Overall, solid 4-star accommodations. We had a great view of the ocean and enjoyed the sound of the waves lulling us to sleep each night. The bed was fairly soft and comfortable. The master bath featured a stone tub with shower.

As others have mentioned, it is quite important to do research and request specific units when booking this property, as the standard villas vary considerably from one another. On the other hand, the Gold-level villas are all very nice and feature premium appliances/furniture/cabinetry/fixtures. However, our guests stayed in both Gold and standard villas and were very satisfied.

As an additional note, some villas are only available directly through the owner. Prices through that channel may be lower than through the Villas office. Although renting from the owner means that the resort amenities (housekeeping, shuttle, Ritz access) are not included, these may or may not be worth an extra 50-100 per day for some.

Housekeeping- Extremely discreet, quiet, and flexible. We kept irregular hours, and they were still able to get the job done without approaching us repeatedly. They basically do light work only (make bed, take out garbage, run dishwasher).

Shuttle- Variable, but generally good service. They typically arrived within 0-15 min of our target pickup time, which was perfectly adequate most days (we used our rental car on wedding day to be safe). They will take you anywhere on the property, and drivers are generally polite and accommodating. On one occasion, I was asked to "please wait outside" by the operator when I called for a shuttle, which I thought was rather rude. On every other occasion, the driver gave a knock on our door when he arrived.

Resort Priviliges- All residents of the Villas can access the pool and have charging priviliges at the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua. Since we had our wedding ceremony at the Ritz, these extras came in handy for some of our friends and family. The Ritz pool is very nice.

Check-In/Out:

Efficient and pleasant front desk staff. One charge was inaccurate on our bill, but was quickly remedied. The error was understandable, since approximately 20 people were staying at the resort who had the same first name, last name, or both!

Location:

We like the natural beauty and stunning views offered at this resort. In contrast, the resort "complex" of Kaanapali to the south seemed more crowded and artificial when we visited friends staying there. From our oceanfront villa, it was a 2-minute walk to a small but pretty beach and rock pools. Two other larger beaches were accessible via shuttle. Kapalua is about an hour from the airport and 20-30 min from Lahaina.

We highly recommend this resort as a wedding site (see also our review of the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua coming soon). Please feel free to contact us with any questions not answered in this long (sorry!) review.

• Stayed: April 2008
3  Thank carnalicia
There are newer reviews for The Kapalua Villas, Maui

Reviewed 28 April 2008

My husband and I stayed in a Gold Oceanfront Villa (#23-G2) from April 20--26. We are in our 30's and were looking for a place where we could do some good relaxing, with a couple of days of adventure. This place suited our needs perfectly. We booked a package through Costco Travel and received a considerable discount from the rate quoted directly through Kapalua Villas.

Our unit was a 1bed/1bath first floor unit. The living room, dining room, and kitchen faced the ocean. The bedroom was in the back of the unit and faced a small unremarkable courtyard. The bathroom was big with a separate toilet room and walk-in shower. No tub. The units furnishing were updated and very nice. Kitchen and bathroom had granite countertops and kitchen had stainless steel appliances. The living room had a pull-out bed and flat screen tv. Bedroom had a king sized bed and smaller flat screen tv and dvd player. Lanai faced mostly the ocean and part of the pool area right next door. We had daily housekeeping and turn-down service. Housekeeping only took out the garbage and provided fresh towels.

The only complaint we had about our unit was that the bedroom did not have an oceanview and no tub in the bathroom. Apart from that, the refrigerator in our unit was not working properly. Management replaced it with an older, but working, refrigerator on our third day there. They provided us with a large cooler and ice during our second day. Having management over a couple of mornings was a slight inconvenience.

Our lanai had two chaise chairs and a table for four. We loved our lanai and spent a lot of time eating home cooked meals, reading, playing dominoes, sunbathing, and whale watching.

Most of the reception staff were nice. Our bill at the end was accurate. When we first checked in we asked if we could move to a unit where the bedroom faced the ocean, but were told that none were available. On our last day we asked for a late check-out, but could not be accommodated. The reception area held our luggage during the day since we had a late flight.

The facilities at the resort are nice. As mentioned above, we had a pool right next door. Three beaches within walking distance. Kapalua Bay Beach was about an 8-10 minute walk away and had towels and beach chairs available to Kapalua Villas guests through the activities center on the beach. The activities center guy said we should not rely on there always being towels b/c they use them for the divers and snorkelers. The day we asked for towels, they were available. Kapalua Bay is a great swimming beach and some decent snorkeling. We did both. Onolea beach was a just down a few steps and does not have any amenities available. Onolea beach had pretty high surf everyday making for good surfing and boogey boarding. We heard there's good snorkeling and swimming in the summer, but not while we were there. The last beach is D.T. Flemming Beach, which is directly in front of the Ritz Carlton. This beach looked nice, and had a bar and restaurant on the beach run by the Ritz Carlton. This beach is quite a bit of a walk away, but can be easily accessed by taking the complimentary Kapalua Shuttle.

The resort has several restaurants (4-6) and a store/deli. We didn't eat at any of the restaurants, but I heard good things about them.

The resort has an adventure center and two golf courses on site. You can book zip lining at the adventure center and get maps of some good hikes on the property. We did the zip lining and it was amazing.

Lastly, I look forward to returning one day.

If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to send me a message.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank wildcatz
Reviewed 23 April 2008

We just returned from Maui after staying at the Kapalua Ridge for 6 days. It is hard to understand why some reviewers state that this place is dated??? Our condo was rented through Ridge Realty and was more than we expected. The view was to die for and the condo itself was just beautiful. There was nothing missed with this condo. The upstairs view from the bed was beautiful. The bathrooms were beyond clean and not dated at all. Again the owners thought of everything. The kitchen had top of the line appliances and the furnishings were beautiful. I would recommend this resort to anyone who wants to get away from it all. We would go to Lahaina at night to eat and it was always great to get back to the peace and quiet of Kapalua. Yes, there was construction going on but to be honest I never noticed it and our view was not obstructed by it.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mdsdevon
Reviewed 4 April 2008

We just returned from the Kapalua Villas April 2nd. Stayed two weeks in The Ridge and rented direct through Ridge Realty. This was a family trip with 15 people so we rented three 2 bedroom condos. Each one in a different part of the resort. Everyone was very happy with the resort, the location and the views. This was our second time in the Kapalua Villas and it is still terrific. The RItz still allows use of the pool, even though half has been converted to condos, and the Fleming Beach is just as good as always. Kapalua Bay Beach is still easily accessbile and the construction going on for the new Residences at the Ritz (former Kapalua Bay Hotel location) is not obtrusive at all. One of our three condos overlooked the construction site and it was a great view, great unit and no noise. Anyone that would complain about the noise is being completely unreasonable.

This is still the best condo complex in Maui in our opinion. We also stayed in Wailea/Makena on the same trip and still prefer Kapalua over all other areas on the island.

I welcome questions if you are about to go there or in the process of planning a trip. Kapalua is one of our favorite places to go and our kids and extended family all feel the same way.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank kona
Reviewed 31 March 2008

My family (husband and 2 teenagers, 17&15) stayed here for a week in March. What a boring place!!! The unit was so dated it was unbelievable. Blue carpet, sunshine ceiling, no fan over the range.....and a beige microwave with a dial, all screemed 70's. And the bugs.....big as my thumb.....so at least they were easy to catch and dispose of. The units come in three different levels. V level being the top floor, T level being the middle floor and P level is the ground floor that is almost like going into a grotto although it walks out onto the course. You can't get any air flow going at night (I hate leaving the air conditioner on) because the one evening I left the windo open to get some fresh air, the people in the unit beside ours (that shares our grotto-like stairway out) stared right into our bedroom as they were leaving. Even being right on the golf course was boring and we only saw 3 groups of golfers on it the full week we were there. The pools were nice but small. And there are signs up all over the place...no motorcycles, no mopeds, no skateboards, no rollerblades. They really don't want teenagers. Everyone we met at the pool was a senior.

The beaches were better, but you have to drive to them. And then if you go to Honolua Beach, where the snorkeling is good, there is no parking as the other hotels/condos park there overnight. So you have to park way back at the tennis courts and hike over. Or you go off to DT Fleming Beach which has great huge waves, terriffic for boogie boarding, the wind is wicked, so you have to sit on everything you own so it doesn't blow away.

But lunch at the Ritz-Carlton Beachhouse was great, terrific atmosphere right there on the beach, but they charge $12.00 for dacquiris or $9.00 for fruit smoothies with every dish on the menu between $14 - 18. Lunch was a little expensive for 4.

We have always stayed in Kihei in our 20 years of going to Maui. We landed up in Kapalua as FunSun Vacations had a last minute disagreement with the condo we normally stay at. So they offerred us Kapalua and we tried it for a new adventure. Never again. You have to drive everywhere. Nothing is close enough to walk to. And no Lapperts Ice Cream!!! Back to Kihei next year!!!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Mrs. Richardson
Reviewed 31 March 2008

I stayed at the Kapalua Villas with my parents and my friend in April of 2007. This review comes a year too late, but I was thinking about my amazing vacation and I realized I owe it to future travelers to share my experience, just as those before me had done. This website is very helpful in getting real life reviews. I loved Maui and being in the Kapalua area. It is close to Lahaina (about 1/2 hour drive, if that) and lots of great surf and snorkel spots. The villas are located in the Kapalua resort area, which also includes a Ritz Carlton hotel, to which we had pool facility privileges (fancy) (though the pool by our villa was nice,simple and convenient). We truly spent most of our time at the gorgeous on site beach, which is even nicer than the one @ the Ritz. I am under the impression that the villas are individually owned. I believe this is why some people had great experiences and others did not. I believe there are four different villa complexes: Ocean Front, Ocean View, Ridge, and Fairway. The Ocean Front Villas are as there name implies, ocean front. Behind them are the Ocean View Villas (keep in mind, it is on a hill, so although the Ocean View Villas are behind the Ocean Front Villas, they are also above.) Above and behind those are the Ridge villas. The Fairway villas are on the golf course. I don't think they have ocean views, but are great for golfers. We lucked out and had an amazing villa, I believe at the Ocean View Villas (Email me and I will TRY to find the exact unit #, it was a year ago). We were downstairs in a two unit villa. It was very quiet and relaxing. We had a great view of the water. The decor was up to date (very Tommy Bahama) and extremely clean. We had a modern kitchen with all the usual appliances. The beds were very comfortable. Both bedrooms had private bathrooms. Very luxe! I highly recommend the Kapalua Villas, but I also recommend being very thorough about knowing exactly what your unit will be. I believe this can make a huge difference. Also when we were there, construction was going on. It was not near us (I THINK it was the Ridge villas), so we didn't care, but beware and make sure not to get a villa near there, unless the construction is done. DO YOUR RESEARCH!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank CharlesM1
Reviewed 10 March 2008

Me and my husband visit maui at least once a year because I am lucky to have a son that lives in Maui. This year we went for my husband's birthday. Our unit was fabulous. We booked through Sullivan Properties and was surprise at our unit. Everything was perfect. We especially liked the view from our bedroom and was able to see the whales from both lanais. Our unit 1422 was equipped with everything we needed for our stay. I am already planning next year's trip and will stay in the same unit.

Stayed: March 2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapalua
0.7 km away
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
#10 of 32 in Lahaina
9.4 km away
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa

Been to The Kapalua Villas, Maui? Share your experiences!