“Units Vary Wildly in Quality”

The Kapalua Villas, Maui
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Kapalua
Reviewed 17 August 2017

I booked a gold ocean view villa for this trip. Upon checkin, I was informed that I was "upgraded" to an ocean front villa (Bay Villas 18B2). When we entered the villa, the view was spectacular with an unobstructed view to the ocean. The unit was a decent size with 2 full bedrooms, each with a full bath, a decent sized kitchen, a dining area and a living room.

Upon settling in, we started to notice little things about the unit that were just not right. About half of the windows had missing or broken screens. The levers on some of the windows were bent or broken completely, making the windows unusable. The screen door to the lanai was barely usable and my 6 year old had to use all of his might to push the door open. The washer and dryer in the unit were ancient (plus found a leftover sock in the washer). The furnishings in the unit were pretty dated and the couches were so uncomfortable that they were nearly unusable. Parts of the unit had been updated (two of the bathrooms and the kitchen were updated), but other parts seemed to be original from the 70s/80s. It created a muddled feeling in the condo.

Another problem was with the showers. The showers in the unit were a really odd setup that ended up causing water to puddle in areas where there was no drainage. If you did not clean it up, you would end up with a good amount standing water in the shower areas.

The biggest problem, though, is the roaches and other bugs. Every night, I ran into quite a few of them in the kitchen area (see the attached pictures) and every morning I found 3-4 dead roaches in the kitchen and dining rooms. There were also dead bugs in one of the picture frames hanging on the walls.

I was shown another unit in Bay Villas 29G, and it wasn't any better from a decor perspective and in the five minutes I browsed through the unit, I saw two moths. This indicated to me that the unit probably wouldn't be any better.

Finally after 3 nights, I was able to be moved to a ridge unit and this unit (1423) was significantly better. This unit was an ocean view (which I had originally booked) and it felt more modern, though it wasn't perfect either. The oven did not work, though it was replaced during our stay. The carpeting was pretty worn down and the walls could have used a fresh coat of paint, but there were no roaches, and that was good enough for us.

Through this whole ordeal, the front desk quickly waived all of the resort fees and I had to work with them to comp my three nights that I stayed in the roach infested unit.

Unfortunately with this property, you are rolling the dice every time you book. Each unit is independently owned and according to the front desk and other maintenance staff, they can "only do so much" and it is up to the owners to furnish and maintain much of the property. So, the quality of your stay depends very heavily on the owner of the unit.

The only reason I gave this property a 2 instead of a 1 is that the location is amazing and the grounds and exteriors of the properties are maintained immaculately.

Room Tip: Unless you are getting a unit that you have seen, you are taking a risk with your vacation.
6  Thank John K
KVL-Management, Front Office Manager at The Kapalua Villas, Maui, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2017

Aloha John L,

Thank you for your review. We are sorry that your stay was not up to your expectations; we do hope that you do stay with us again in the future

Reviewed 15 August 2017

Decided on Kapalua Villas because of location to Plantation Golf course, but its amenities and a wonderful condo was perfect for our 5 days visit. Location to restaurants, free shuttle service and numerous beaches gave us multiple options. The villa was spacious with beautiful linens, well-equipped kitchen and great views of the ocean. It was a fantastic home base for all of our adventures on the island.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
KVL-Management, Front Office Manager at The Kapalua Villas, Maui, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2017

Aloha Kristine A,

We look forward to hosting you again here on Maui in the future!

Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

Spectacular views and spacious grounds make for a peaceful vacation. Some of the units are privately owned and operated. Our unit was a two story, older one and would have benefited from some interior and furnishings upgrades. The original architecture and finishes however are solid. The place is very quiet and does not have that crowded condominium feeling. The Kapalua grounds are luxurious and expansive. The nearby beaches are outstanding.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
3  Thank Scott W

Aloha Scott W,

Thank you for your review and staying with us at the Kapalua Villas! We are happy that you had a nice vacation here with us. You are indeed correct that Kapalua is very serene and quiet location. In my opinion, taking in the peace and quiet is the best part of a Maui vacation!

We look forward to seeing you again on your next vacation to paradise

Reviewed 13 August 2017

We loved our gold condo unit from the very beginning. 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, very large, clean. We've stayed in a lot of condos over the years and this was the nicest. It was called a partial ocean view, but we could see it just fine. Also see the 2 islands to the west of Maui.

Pool areas were top notch. I went to one of the 3 pools nightly to use the gas grills that are available.

We were located on the 11th hole tee box. It took us 10 minutes to walk to the beach on our early morning walks.

Beautiful! No complaints

2  Thank Trevor99evansville

Aloha Trevor99evensville

Thank you for your review and staying with us at the Kapalua Villas! We are very pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us! You are correct that the Gold Villas are lovely. It sounds like you really had a chance to take it all in.

We look forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed 11 August 2017

The location was amazing. Beautiful scenery with ocean view. The villa itself was also gorgeous. Spacious. Clean. Walking distance to the beach. It came with a washer/dryer. refrigerator w/ ice maker. Coffee machine etc. We had 2 bathrooms. One had a sunken tub and the other had a shower. Televisions both in sitting room and in bedroom. The air conditioner worked great (too good at times). I had previously read that there were issues with the villa's being too warm and the air conditioners not being able to keep the place cool. This was not the case for us.
You're probably wondering why I only gave 3 stars. Here's the issue...ROACHES!!
The first evening that we were there, I turned on the light to the kitchen, and saw 2 small roaches. I kept every morsel of food inside of the refrigerator as to not attract more. The next morning, the same thing. We saw anywhere from 3-5 every morning and every night. One was crawling in my daughters pull-out sofa bed. They were seen both upstairs and down stairs. I had read a post from a lady who had actually taken pictures of them. The response from management was that the lady had stayed at another resort, not the Kapalua Villa's. I thought this was strange. How could someone "forget" what resort they were at for a week. She was correct. They have a significant problem with roaches. I was told by a local, that the entire island has this issue. I wish I would have known prior to booking. We made the best out of the situation but I don't think that I could bring myself to stay here again.

5  Thank Delynn S

Aloha Delynn S

Thank you for your review and thank you for staying at the Kapalua Villas.

I am happy that you had enjoyed your stay, I am sorry that you come across roaches during your stay, as you had stated, someone told you that the entire island has this issue. Being that this is a tropical island and environment, yes, indeed, bugs are prevalent and a frequent occurrence here. When you live in, or stay in a tropical environment that is a fact of life. We do everything that we can to mitigate the issue with regular pest control but even with all of those measures they still can make an appearance.

In regards to your comment about my response to a prior reviewer. I had never stated that they "forgot" where they stayed. Kapalua Resort encompasses over 400 condominiums. We here at Outrigger manage about a quarter of those. The reviewer did not stay in one of our managed condos, I had simply stated this fact and asked that they direct the review to the parties that they had rented their villa from. That is more than a fair request.

Again, thank you for staying at Kapalua and we do hope to host you again in the future should you decide to return to Maui.

Mahalo,

Reviewed 8 August 2017

This was our fourth trip to Kapalua and our first stay at Kapalua Bay Villas. The Kapalua Resort is perfect! A short drive 'off campus' and you are in Kaanapali or Lahaina. However, on the 22,000 acre resort of Kapalua, you will find several fantastic restaurants, 4 amazing beaches, 2 golf courses and hiking trails. There is a free shuttle service to get you anywhere you need to go within Kapalua. So, you could get by without a rental car. But, if you plan on exploring the island, a car is necessary. We always stayed at the Ritz prior to discovering the villas. Although the cost was similar, we got far more value out of our vacation dollar staying in a villa. We booked through Outrigger because they have a front desk on premises and are available 24hrs/day. For example, we had one minor issue with our ice maker and Outrigger sent someone to fix it within 15 minutes! Like other online rentals, the Outrigger is beginning to post pictures of their villas so that guests may select a specific unit for their stay.
We rented a 1 bedroom gold ocean front villa; it exceeded every expectation we had! Amazing views, updated bathroom and kitchen, washer/dryer, wifi AND was equipped with paper towels, toilet paper, coffee(and filters,) dish washing and laundry detergent, soap, hair dryer, shampoo, beach and bath towels.
In addition, there are several very private pools located throughout the villa complex, each with two large gas grills and two bathrooms.
We had such a fantastic experience that, before leaving, we booked a 2 bedroom villa for next year so that we may bring our children. The crew at the Outrigger Kapalua desk was so helpful and friendly-they were even able to accommodate our late check out request at the last minute. Mahalo, Garrett, Darril and Dale! See you next year!

Room Tip: If you can, book an ocean front villa! The views are AMAZING from sunrise to sunset!
7  Thank JBrand123

Aloha JBrand123,

Thank you for kind, wonderful and informative review! It does sound like you had truly enjoyed your vacation and that makes all of us very happy. Garrett and Darrin will appreciate your kind comments as well.

It certainly was a pleasure hosting you and we very much look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 1 August 2017 via mobile

Clean, spacious, great location. We were there for a wedding and it was perfect for our family of 2 adults and 3 kids. Lots of room. Great lanai. Loved the area shuttle for getting around. Safe. Convenient.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends

Aloha Kristienholly,

Thank you for your review and staying with us at the Kapalua Villas! We are very pleased that you enjoyed your vacation here in paradise!

We hope to see you again for your next trip to beautiful Maui

Kapalua Villas~Maui

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapalua
9 km away
Royal Lahaina Resort
#18 of 31 in Lahaina
9.4 km away
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa

Been to The Kapalua Villas, Maui? Share your experiences!