“Good effort”

Villa Sayang Boutique Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Lingsar B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Our family of 4 (2 adults, 5 and 9 year old), recently spent 5 days at Villa Sayang. We loved that it was a bit away from everything, deep in the rice paddies with beautiful views of the mountains, however some may find it a bit out of the way, about 15 - 20 min car journey from the main Beach / tourist area.

We virtually had the whole place to ourselves which was lovely. This place felt much more like a home stay than a hotel and expectations should be adjusted as such. The staff were just lovely and very keen to assist but to be honest, apart from the manager service was friendly and earnest but a little lacking in initiative and was often very slow, particularly in anything related to food and beverage. Having said that, they were all so nice, even getting a special Birthday cake for our son who turned 9 while there. And their homemade jam was brilliant! Just allow a lot of time and planning if you want to eat there otherwise the menu is very restricted and it can take a long time to get food.

If you are looking for a very private kind of place within beautiful gardens in a lovely, quiet (apart from the ever present background sound of the call to prayer which I found quite nice but others may not, especially at 4.45 am) part of Lombok with friendly but not too on top of it service, this place is great. We stayed in the two bedroom villa which was huge, if a little dated and I think good value for money. It was set away from the road and I can see that some of the villa's closer could be a bit noisy.

As much as I appreciated efforts made, in reality this place feels a little bit like it might be on the downward slope. I hope that maybe some changes can be made to improve service a bit, make it a bit more professional, spruce up the rooms a bit and get going again a bit more. I has obviously been a labour of love.

Last thing - don't go to the BBQ seafood place on the beach recommended by everyone, it's awful!

Room Tip: Go for the 2 bed villa or ask for a room at the back of the resort away from the road
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank kdickie

Reviewed 5 October 2011

I have stayed in Villa Sayang twice in Year 2007 n 2009 respectively.
Oh yes! The "XYZ" factor is certainly Ibu Rosa, who is truly a personification of a wonder woman overflowing with lots of love- tender loving care!!!

She is the main reason why I will be back, and back soon!

Our friendship spans from our 1st visit in year 2007 and she never fails to surprise or even delight the hotel guests.

I have left my heart in Lombok ever since

I would have anytime write off Bali

for Lombok,

Singapore

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank PrincessCathie
Reviewed 18 August 2011

Most villas have no view (ours had a view on a small pile of trash); there is no table, no chair and no cupboard in the room. The cupbooard is to be found in the moist bathroom. The bathroom itself is a disaster: the toilet stinks, the shower area is very dark, the water of the shower comes in always variable strength so to wash your hair, for instance, you have to change location every few second to get permanently water on you head. And last but not least, if you like animals, you won't be disapointed since there is an aquarium in the bathroom with live fishes in it, who spend most of the time in almost total darkness. A real tacky decoration item in today's environment conscious world.
The decoration of the villas is nothing special for Indonesia.
The restaurant is very expensive for what it offers (only very simple dishes) and there is no alternative in the neighbourhood (expect a 25 minutes taxi ride to find something decent)
The nice thing about the restaurant is the view at breakfast.

Don't expect much advise for your excursions: the best is to determine the itinerary yourself.
The only very positive thing about this hotel is the extremely friendly and service oriented staff.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mikeworld
Rosa S, Owner at Villa Sayang Boutique Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2011

Dear Mikeworld

First of all let me say how much we regret that your stay at Villa Sayang was disappointing. It has come as a bit of a shock to us but perhaps it is a wake-up call showing us the need to be even more attentive to our guests’ needs.

Regarding your comments about rooms, we actually welcome your words as we have just completed an extensive renovation and renewed most of the appliances and electrical equipment of all rooms in order to make guests more comfortable; we are therefore taking onboard your comments and seeing them as advice.

We have tried to provide a fairly rustic appearance of the villas in line with the rural region we are located in but with the comfort of your own home – perhaps this is why you feel the decoration is less than perfect. We do understand that we all have varied tastes and are looking into ways that might provide more variety to the look of Villa Sayang!

We are sorry if you found our food poor value and that we don’t have an extensive menu. We thought that our pricing was in line with other similar accommodation options but will certainly look into this – so much so that we are now preparing a survey form to see if indeed we are overpriced. As for the lack of sufficient menus items we used to have many more items but found them seldom ordered. What is on the menu now are the most popular items. You didn’t mention the taste of our food items – we do hope you found the dishes delicious.

Perhaps I was away at the time because I strive to help guests as much as possible with their itineraries. If not, I’m sorry – I am a proud Sasak and really try to show off as much as possible of my home town. Perhaps I need to rub some of that enthusiasm onto my staff! Thanks for letting me know.

Once again let me say how much we regret that your stay was not all it could be but we hope that you return. I’m positive you will enjoy yourself immensely next time around – that, I will strive to ensure for you.

Best Regards,

Rosa

Reviewed 17 August 2011

Nice little resort. Rooms are clean and spacious. Nice view of ricefields from restaurant. Great breakfast. The downside is of course the location. Its far from any action or eateries. Its a good idea to have your own transport if you stay here. Its also situated on a noisy road. The lunch and dinners we had here were a bit pricy and a defenite disappointment. Try eating at Singiggi where there is a large range of restaurants available.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2011

We had a very pleasant stay here with beautiful clean room and attention to detail, pick up from the airport and Rosa the owner helped us with allot of tips to continue our journey in Lombok.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main street
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VickySim
Reviewed 15 July 2011

Stayed in a very nice villa, daybeaf outside was great for lounging around after a swim in the lovely pool. We were close to the road so a bit of noise at peak hour but otherwise ok (maybe request a room further in if you can). Rosa and her staff were very professional, warm and caring, and helpful with advice about places to see/stay. A great starting point for any Lombok sojourn. We loved it there, food was great, quiet and peaceful.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 26 May 2011

Okay, we could not find any negatives for this hotel, the owner (Rosa) or the staff. All exemplary.

The only reason I did not give it 5/5 for each rating is the location and that is totally dependent on what you are looking from in your holiday. For this particular trip we did not hire a car or motorbikes ourselves as we normally would. We were travelling with good friends for whom this is their first Indonesian holiday and they preferred to hire a van with driver (which turned out to be a bonus with the little time and much sightseeing we crammed in)!

The location is in Linsar, about 10 - 15 easy drive from Mataram airport (on outskirts of town and a bit away from services or other cafes, etc). About half an hours drive over to Sengiggi. If we had our own motorbike or car this wouldn't have mattered in the slightest, in fact it would be an asset as it is truly peaceful. In saying this, our friends were completely happy with the location as they hate the hustle and bustle. Hubby and I do enjoy an evening walk amongst markets, cafe's etc so we found the evenings almost 'too quiet'.

Other than that wee perspective - absolute bliss. The grounds are lovely, the pool is smallish (not tiny though) and has a lovely sitting area and bar beside it. The upstairs breakfast and dining area looks out over the gardens. It is a very ambient, tranquil and soul restoring sort of place and I believe it truly deserves the 'boutique' in it's title.

The owner, Rosa, is a gem; chatty, quirky and a wealth of information about all things Lombok and Gili's. She will 'go the extra mile' at 'no additional cost' to help you with other accoms, tours, restaurant recommendations and arranging flights etc from her reception area. We could not fault her or Cinta (girl at front desk and I hope I spelt her name correctly) or the dining staff, gardeners etc. All welcoming, ensuring your needs are met but in a lovely, quiet unobtrusive way.

We stayed in the 2 bedroom villa: Villa Srikandri. Both bedrooms have the same incredibly spacious dressing room area (with wardrobes and racks and space to lay your stuff out) and large bathroom with western toilet, modern vanity and bath with shower over the bath.

Beds are king size and really, really comfortable. Not hard, not too soft. Luxurious. The upstairs bedroom (the master bedroom) has a four poster bed with full mossie netting and an A framed wooden roof that is quite speccy to look at.

Full toiletries provided; large, fluffy towels and also large beach towels in your room to take around the island each day when sightseeing. A very nice touch. Artwork, lamps, cushions and bowls of petals in water around the villa are nice also. 2 bottles water for each bedroom daily.

Rooms have their own Air Con units so independently controlled for each room. Mini fridge in each dressing room area. TV in each bedroom and larger one in formal lounge area.

Lounge room is enormous. Upstairs is an outdoor, covered balony/patio area with coffee table and lounging chairs and couch. Nice view over gardens etc to sit and relax and sip a cold drink at day's end.

Serviced daily and unobtrusively.

Breakfast is included in the rate and is great. You choose the evening before from several menu's (and can chop/change these as well if you let the girls know) which range from a lighter type fare to the full on American type - everything in existence breakfast. Rosa grows a lot of the fruit and vegetables and herbs organically. The staff prepare it all fresh at the time of order.

My girlfriend is gluten intolerant and also cannot eat sugar, dairy and a range of other foods. Rosa saw to it that she had pancakes made from rice flour, fresh juices squeezed with no syrups or added sugars and dairy free treats, etc. My friend found this incredibly personalised and felt very relaxed about eating there.

Hubby and my girlfriend's hubby loved that Rosa keeps the beer COLD! :)

Really, there are no negatives. A lovely vibe and feel to it; and a beautiful host in Rosa.

We WILL be back (but I'll also hire a motorbike for evenings to get to the Pasar Malam's)! :)

Room Tip: All rooms great. Villa Skrikandri was spot on!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank wishtago...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lingsar
12.2 km away
2.4 km away
Lombok Astoria Hotel
Lombok Astoria Hotel
#2 of 25 in Mataram

Been to Villa Sayang Boutique Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!