All reviews boar poster bed enjoyed my stay an evening meal room was clean and comfortable member of staff friday night central location carvery rear
Reviewed July 5, 2018 via mobile

Stayed at the Boars Head Hotel for one night 2nd/3rd July. I’ve stayed at the premises before and found the accommodation pretty tired! However on this occasion a complete transformation has occurred. We had 3 twin rooms and they were fantastic. A lot of refurbishment had been undertaken with no expense spared. The bathroom was almost as large as the bedroom area. It was also fitted with a modern shower fitting and large dispensers of shower gel and cream. Beds very comfy and the usual tea and coffee facilities available, perhaps a few more milk containers for a cuppa in the morning would have been perfect.
The cooked breakfasts and omelettes for my friends were most satisfactory. I think one of the omelette eaters particularly enjoyed his meal as he had cheese strings hanging down from his chin, he is very old thou and probably a little bit tipsy from the night before!
The reason I haven’t given 5 stars is because of the meal I received at breakfast. I was last to arrive for breakfast out of our group, which is quite common. I entered the breakfast area and noticed that it was fairly empty, there was our group crammed around small tables and three other people. So I sat down on a table that hadn’t been laid out. I didn’t mind this because at 6’4” it meant I had plenty of room. The young lady waitress came in and I give her my order, she wanted me to move to a seat next my friends but wasn’t put out that much when I stayed on my original table. Anyway the order I gave her wasn’t a more expensive cooked breakfast or an exotic omelette, it was simple beans on three pieces of toast. Thankfully the order arrived pretty quickly but all the beans were squeezed onto one piece of dried toasted bread with the remaining two pieces of toast as a side order and a few packets of butter, that was never enough for two pieces never mind three, if I’d scraped the beans off, which I didn’t.
Overall thou I would defo come back again, price very reasonable and parking free in courtyard.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed June 23, 2018

Called at the Boar's Head for an evening meal (without reservation).
A traditional Inn with a good selection to choose from.
Food came in records time, was well presented and very tasty.
We had chicken curry with poppadom, naan bread and mango chutney with slices of green and red peppers. The fish platter was a choice of battered cod, breaded plaice or salmon as a main with five pieces of scampi and a fishcake - delicious.
The staff were polite and attentive.
Will return.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed June 7, 2018 via mobile

After a flood in our house we needed to find somewhere to stay. Nerys and her team were fantastic and helped us greatly. Room 16 was ideal as a home from home and we will be recommending friends and family use boarshead when visiting.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2018

Stayed for 2 nights Fri- Sun. Room was clean and functional and quite nice. Breakfast was good, plenty to choose from. Had dinner one night in the restaurant, meal was tasty, would recommend the Lamb, prices were fair and staff friendly.
It wasn't a quite nights sleep, with entertainment going on downstairs and it being in the center of town, but if you will stay above a pub then thats what your going get.
Parking is available but the route to the car park is narrow, however I did see a van fit through.
Check out was easy and staff were helpful and accomdating

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 242soph
Reviewed February 21, 2018

An overnight stay at the Boar's Head Hotel after visiting the local University with my daughter. We requested a twin room, which the hotel was able to accommodate. The hotel was clean, although a little tired looking, the staff were lovely and very helpful. We did not have an evening meal, but breakfast was included in the price. The breakfast was fine.
It did appear that some time had been spent on updating the rooms, the bathrooms were quite modern, but the bedroom was a little tattie and the bedding looked quite old. I was unable to open the windows but perhaps this was just me! The room was quite cold during the day, with the heating not coming on until later.

Room Tip: The twin room we were in faced the main street, which was quite noisy during the evening.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family