“morning coffee break whilst out walking”

Paper Fig Kitchen & Coffee
Ranked #3 of 12 Coffee & Tea in Portstewart
Price range: US$1 - US$10
Description: We serve exciting food, showcasing great local artisan producers. Our Menu changes regularly so that we are using seasonal produce. At Paper Fig we take our coffee very seriously and use grade 1 single origin beans from all around the world. We change our coffee beans every 6 weeks making sure that we keep our coffee lovers coming back.
Reviewed April 4, 2018

the big attraction to this coffee shop must be the stunning views because it certainly isn't the welcome of the proprietor or staff. I found the coffee luke warm but maybe that's how it should be as I wouldn't be an expert. I couldn't comment on the snacks as I didn't have any

2  Thank Malcolm M
rjcb41, Owner at Paper Fig Kitchen & Coffee, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2018

Hello Malcolm M,
I afraid you didn’t feel you where welcomed by myself and staff. As I do all the cooking now, I rarely get time to engage with the customers. My staff on the other hand are always welcoming chatty and helpful.
With regards to your coffee, we do serve our coffee at the optimum temperate so as to ensure the best qualities of the coffee are brought out and not compromised with over heating.
I do hope you call again and see that we are doing our very best to ensure the customer enjoys their visit. And maybe give our snacks a try too
Richard

Reviewed April 2, 2018 via mobile

The title says it all! Good selection of herbal teas and a small but tasty variety of deli-style snacks. Great place for breakfast or lunch with friends. Binoculars are even provided to spot dolphins off the coast.

1  Thank Lynne C
Reviewed February 22, 2018

this place is lovely to sit in. The coffee is really good and breakfasts too. I would really recommend if you are looking for a coffee with uninterrupted views.

1  Thank Causeway Coast R
rjcb41, Owner at Paper Fig Kitchen & Coffee, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2018

Hi Causeway Coast R,
Really glad you enjoyed your breakfast and coffee with us this week. The weather has been great, which makes sitting in Paper Fig all the more enjoyable.
Hope we see you again soon

Reviewed February 9, 2018

This delightful little cafe/coffee shop is situated right on the coastal path and enjoys a wonderful vista across the sea to Donegal - and when the sea is really running the impact is very special. We received a warm welcome and instead of just having coffee we decided on lunch. My wife had scrambled egg and salmon on sourdough bread and was delighted - so much so she ordered an extra slice of sourdough toast and jam for 'afters'. The bread is light, airy and delicious and she had a long conversation with the owner about this particular sourdough bread which apparently is made by Hunter's in Limavady. I was disappointed that there was no gluten-free bread available - it's easy to keep sliced in the freezer - but I had scrambled egg with extra bacon and it was superb - creamy, tasty egg and crispy bacon. Yum! Despite the absence of gf bread, there was a gf cake which I had for 'afters' - it was delicious. we shall definitely pay a return visit.

1  Thank Don I
rjcb41, Owner at Paper Fig Kitchen & Coffee, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2018

Hello Don I
Thank you for your review. We are so glad you enjoyed your visit and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed February 1, 2018 via mobile

Visited for the first time one late morning this week. Not the most friendly or welcoming of staff, in all honesty. Anyway, I ordered pancakes with some rather fancy-named bacon & maple syrup. I couldn't for the life of me find a drinks list contained within the menu's breakfast, or indeed lunch list, yet, strangely, the gentleman behind the counter remained having his head buried in whatever he was doing. I eventually looked up to my right and saw that they offered Suki tea. Panic over. I sat for a while & gazed out at the marvellous views - it's in a lovely little exposed, but wonderful site. Pancakes etc arrived, but still no sign of my Suki breakfast tea. I rarely like to make any kind of a fuss, so I let it lie, and actually saw others around me receiving drinks, so assumed them to be a bit behind. Anyway, I finally received my tea, but I was now almost halfway through eating my breakfast.
Onto the pancakes and bacon, then. The pancakes were small & very thin crêpe-like items and to be honest, they were fairly devoid of any real taste or flavour. The bacon was decent enough, and they had chosen to let the fatty parts remain on the rashers. They were still reasonally presented, however. The small pot of maple syrup was barely sufficient for the amount of food provided. At £5-50, I would have liked something a little more substantial; pancakes that were a bit bigger and little thicker, and a third piece of bacon, perhaps.
Overall, I am pleased that I have tried this establishment, but I am not sure if I would hurry back. Perhaps there are other, better menu options than the one that I experienced. And saying that, the scones did look nice, but I just didn't feel valued or welcome enough to have stayed and sampled one. Not being asked "if everything was okay", or "can I get you anything else" is very disappointing, and indeed a rarity in this day and age.
Although a different setting and not as cosy an environment, I would have received a much better pancake breakfast experience 3/4 of a mile or so down the road for a very similar price...

2  Thank Andy_79
rjcb41, Owner at Paper Fig Kitchen & Coffee, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2018

Hi Andy_79
Thank you for taking the time to review our cafe but I am sorry to hear your visit just ok.
Our menus are on clip boards as you come into the cafe with breakfast, lunch and drinks on three sheets. I am not sure if some had fallen out but had you asked we would have been more than happy to correct this.
Our Paper Fig Pancakes are named such that our customers know that we make them in house and are not shop bought. There are 2 large pancakes per portion which other customers regulary remark on how big they are. The bacon we use is from O’Doherty’s butchers who a method to cure their bacon used for hundreds of years, thus meaning there are no additive or flavourings enhancers added. This is a lean cut of bacon and we don’t take the fat off.
We do try to check on all our customers and see that everything is ok but at busier times we sometimes can’t get to everyone.
I hope you will return to see the menu in full and try some other options.