All reviews walled garden outdoor pool family hotel the baby listening service kids club changing mat sauna and steam room hen house spa treatments young families nappy bin child friendly hotel high tea afternoon tea new park manor kids tea kids meals
Reviewed August 9, 2018 via mobile

We re-visited Woolley Grange with a large family group aged from 1 to 75 and everyone had a fantastic time. The food - particularly at dinner was outstanding- great choices and good size portions. However it’s always the staff who make WG what it is- helpful, smiling and aiming to ensure you have a great time. Iona was an outstanding waitress as were Emily and Sophie and Joan in the Den is the heart, soul and history of this wonderful family hotel.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank richmond99london
Clare-Hammond, General Manager at Woolley Grange, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear richmond99london

Thank you very much for your review following your return visit and I am sorry I was not here to welcome you back as you have been coming to stay with us for so many years.

It is always important we maintain our standards for returning guests and it is lovely to hear you enjoyed all we have to offer once again,

The staff do make it special and thank you for mentioning those who were particularly stood out during your stay.

Hope it won't be too long before you can comeback for another great family get together.

Warmest wishes

Reviewed July 29, 2018 via mobile

This is not a serious spa it is a family hotel with spa facilities.

A lovely family hotel with old world charm comfortable with wonderful and very friendly staff.

Treatments in the spa were perfect professional caring staff and beautiful Elemis products.

The food was beautifully cooked and delicious but there were noisy children in all the eating areas so no where quiet to escape to.

I booked a spa day for myself and my sister as a Birthday treat and we went on a Tuesday morning. When we arrived the indoor swimming pool was full of children having lessons so we were unable to use the indoor pool or the sauna or steam room as it was soooo noisy! Luckily it was dry enough for us to sit by the outside pool, however the gardener had a hose pipe running in to the pool near to our seats and kept coming up to fill his water can while we were trying to relax!
Had we been told about the regular Tuesday morning booking for Puddleducks we would not have booked!!
After lunch we went to the spa for our treatments which were perfect, however when we came out there were local residents in the pool with screaming children so we decided to sit outside the sauna area and enjoy the garden until the gardener came along on his noisy tractor!! past our sunbeds.
We will not be returning as it was far from a relaxing experience and did not represent value for money. Very disappointing

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank carolemounce
Clare-Hammond, General Manager at Woolley Grange, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2018

Dear carolemounce

Than you very much for your review after your recent visit to the spa.

I am so pleased to hear how much you enjoyed the treatments and food and that the staff looked after you so well.

We are a family spa and as such do welcome children into the pool areas. We do avoid booking spa days on a Tuesday morning as we have the Puddleducks swim session, so I need to investigate why you were able to book a spa day on a Tuesday morning. I would be interested to speak with you in person to find out some more details and would be grateful if you could contact me on 01225 864705 or by email on clare.hammond@woolleygrangehotel.co.uk.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed July 27, 2018

Having been given an Afternoon Tea voucher from a good friend via the 'Buy a Gift' company, I spent some time perusing the various places I could visit to redeem the voucher and eventually decided on Wooley Grange.

I invited my mother to accompany me and we were really looking forward to spending a few hours together on a beautifully sunny Wednesday afternoon in July. Upon arriving at Wooley Grange the first thing we noticed when trying to park was a sign saying 'Disabled Parking" just past the side of the house but for some peculiar reason, there was no such space (we are disabled & blue badger holders) as it was blocked off by a metal bench. There didn't appear to be any alternative disabled parking but we were able to park close by. The parking provision is somewhat lacking and clearly insufficient for the number of staff members and visitors.

We walked round to the front of the hotel and the only access from the garden to inside appeared to be up a small flight of stone steps, which my mother and I climbed with some difficulty. We then walked into the hotel and waited by the desk in the area we presumed was reception, but nobody came out to greet us. Eventually after waiting some time, I popped my head through the door behind the desk and there were 2 or 3 ladies having a chat and 1 of them then came through to book us in.

Arriving at the dining area, we were asked if we'd like to eat outside on the terrace, which we said we would. It was very busy but there was one empty table just by the steps which go up to the outdoor swimming pool. However, it only had one chair plus a baby's highchair which I joked I wouldn't fit in and the lady said she'd arrange for someone to get us another chair. We waited and waited but this didn't happen so I had no alternative other than to 'borrow' a chair from another occupied table and ask the people if they'd mind me using their spare chair, which fortunately they didn't. Being disabled with mobility problems, I really struggled to lift the chair and carry it back to my table and it was really disappointing that (a) the staff didn't get me a chair as they said they would and (b) not one member of staff offered to help me! When I put the wooden chair down, I noticed that the grey seat pad was absolutely filthy so had to turn it over as I didn't fancy sitting on the dirty cushion!

Our order was taken for the full afternoon tea which we noticed was £21.50 per head and we didn't have to wait long for a carafe of water and glasses to be brought out to us, swiftly followed by the pot of tea, milk & sugar. Not long after a young man brought out the food displayed on a stand and he explained what everything was to us.

The first thing my mother and I tried were the sandwiches which consisted of four fairly narrow fingers each with different fillings in; 3 of which were on white bread and 1 was on granary. The first sandwich we both tried was egg and the bread felt really dry, almost as if it was either going stale or had been previously frozen and defrosted. Each of the white bread sandwiches was the same with the dry bread and we'd intended to bring this to the attention of the staff but it was as if they'd vanished as we didn't see anyone. Undeterred by the dryness and determined to enjoy the gift I'd been given, we ate the sandwiches and then moved on to a small glass which had a lemon mousse or posset in with a raspberry on the top and this was really delicious. However, my mother had to use the teaspoon from her cup of tea to eat this as we didn't appear to have been provided with any other spoons!

There were two scones each; one fruit and one plain and they were wrapped in a napkin on the centre tier of the cake stand, presumably to keep them warm. Our initial impression was that these DID NOT look like home made scones - home baked yes, but certainly not home made. They had the appearance of an 'Aunt Bessies' pre-made scone which had been baked in the oven but they were very small in size. Also, the two fruit scones were so overcooked with charred and blackened raisins that we didn't even attempt to eat them! I probably spent a good 10 minutes waiting to bring this to the attention of a passing waiter/waitress and when I pointed out the burnt offerings served up, the young lady apologised, said she'd speak with the chef and would bring some more out to us. This did happen fairly quickly but there seemed to be confusion as after the replacements had been brought to the table, two other members of staff came out to check that they'd been given to us!

The version 2 scones looked slightly more appetising as they weren't burnt but they were very underwhelming. As Wooley Grange refers to itself as a LUXURY hotel, I was extremely surprised and disappointed that for such a quintessential part of the British afternoon tea that these scones left a lot to be desired. They weren't light, airy, delicate or perfectly risen and were really rather a poor excuse for a scone being small, fairly flat, quite hard and bland!

Having received the version 2 scones we prepared to tuck in only to discover that we didn't have any jam or clotted cream! Marvellous - an afternoon tea minus what in my opinion is the most essential part! Again I had to wait ages for a waitress to pass by the table so I could explain that we didn't have any jam or cream so she went off to get some but it must have been on rations on Wednesday 25/07/18 as the teeniest amount of each was brought out! When you put jam and cream on a scone you want to be able to totally indulge and put loads on but this wasn't possible with such small portions.

We ate the rest of the tea which consisted of a tiny pink macaroon, a small round cake with a blueberry on the top and a little square of carrot cake and to be fair, they were perfectly ok. However, my mum and I were both very much of the opinion that we were glad that we weren't paying for the afternoon tea ourselves and instead using a voucher, as neither of us felt that it represented good value for money or was special. Something like this is a treat but we both felt rather disheartened with what we'd experienced. The staff weren't very attentive and didn't check up on how things were and every time I needed to speak to someone about the issues I had, I had to wait ages until someone passed by the table to be able to catch their attention. Also, at no point were we asked if we'd like a refill of our teapot so this was a 2 small cups per person afternoon tea!
Over the years I've visited many different places for afternoon tea but this was distinctly average and not as I'd hoped it would be. My mother felt exactly the same, which was a real shame.

After finishing our tea we had a little wander around the hotel grounds and whilst I do appreciate that we've been experiencing some unusually hot weather which will obviously have an impact on the grass and plants, parts of the gardens did look somewhat neglected. There's an ornamental pond which could be truly beautiful if only it wasn't clogged up with weed preventing you from actually looking into the water!

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank lucyrocket2016

Dear lucyrocket2016

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review after your afternoon tea with us.
I am sorry to hear you were disappointed and I would love the opportunity to talk with you about that to apologise in person. Please call me personally on 01225 864705 or contact me via email clare.hammond@woolleygrangehotel.co.uk.

I look forward to hearing form you.

Reviewed July 26, 2018

(This is a copy of the review I sent to the hotel after staying for three nights with my one-year-old recently):

Woolley Grange was great in that it caters very well for young children (loved the baby listening service), and the grounds are beautiful and fun with lots to see and do.

However, there is a lot that could be improved. The many stone steps around the property need ramps for pram access. The food was quite poor for both baby and adults: not enough fresh (fruit and vegetable) dishes on offer. My food was badly cooked on several occasions: tough steak; granulated sugar inexplicably poured into the pockets of the breakfast waffles. The service and food prep is far too slow at lunchtime. My room was not baby-friendly enough: in West Gable, the skylight should have blackout blinds, and the bath hot tap/pipes were hot to the touch and should have some kind of protective covering so the baby doesn't burn herself when inevitably grabbing. The creaky winding stair up into the room was quite dangerous. There should be a changing table, not just a change mat on the floor. The carpet was quite old and worn and not very clean. The mini fridge was not cold. My mattress was very lumpy and uncomfortable.

Personally, I was extremely disappointed to find your new yoga yurt remains locked. I understand that it's owned and run by an outside party, but if you have agreed to host it on your land then you should work out a deal so your guests can use it. I would have loved to wander in and roll out a mat on several occasions to do some stretches while my baby enjoyed crawling around the space. I would only visit Woolley Grange again if the yurt were to be open during the day for people to use freely, outside of classes (currently there isn't a convenient class schedule, either). There really isn't any reason why it shouldn't be freely accessible.

Otherwise, the grounds were lovely and my baby adored the fibreglass sheep, the pool, the croquet and the pole-tennis. The walled garden and the animals are lovely, and I appreciated the creche and the wonderful spa. We'd love to come again if you can make the yoga yurt less of a tease!

Room Tip: West Gable on the top floor has character quirks (beams) and a huge bathroom, but perhaps not so suitable for babies
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank MelMel_c_W

Dear MelMel_c_W

Thank you very much for your review. It is always very useful to hear about guests personal experiences so we can look afresh at what we offer through a guests eyes.

The yurt is a new addition. I don't know whether you asked if you could gain access at the time. Since receiving your comments we have made it possible for guests to access the yurt outside sessions, on a request basis.

If you would like to return, please call us at the hotel and we can talk you through bedroom options which might suit you better.
I very much hope we can welcome you back on another occasion.

Warm wishes

Reviewed July 12, 2018 via mobile

Wow what an absolutely beautiful place I’m in love. I stayed here for 2 nights for work but I will definitely rush back with my hubby, son & dog to this amazing child & pet friendly hotel. It’s classy, comfortable, quaint, quirky & fun all rolled into one big stunning Manor House!! The food is excellent & the staff are lovely, there’s loads to do for both adults & kids with plenty of space for the dog & although it’s serene, its far from boring! I’d give it a million stars & highly recommend it

Stayed: July 2018, travelled on business

Dear vbettany

Thank you very much for your 5 star review.

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us so much. You are right, there is a lot to do and with children and dogs. We look forward to welcoming you back with your family very soon.