All reviews through secret escapes the fine dining menu the main house lovely hotel on arrival evening meal night break garden room nice grounds a la carte menu special offer main restaurant two courses beautiful setting wedding venue wedding breakfast country house
Reviewed August 25, 2018 via mobile

This hotel, the grounds, the restaurant and the breakfast were simply top notch. Set in a lovely private plot with an orchard, kitchen garden, pleasant walks and two small ponds this place was an absolute find. The food in the restaurant was as good as i have had anywhere and I chose two starters which were well presented and tasted divine. I opted for carpaccio and cervice of sea bass. My wife had a goats cheese salad and a pork loin dish which were all tasty. The Alsatian wine we had was delightful. The room was big, clean and with a nice view over the courtyard. All in all a lovely stay.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank tonybR5900MQ
Reviewed August 21, 2018

This is a lovely quaint Hotel with character set in some lovely grounds lovely and quiet. My wife and I stayed for two nights. We were given a warm welcome on arrival our room was annexed from the main Hotel building on the ground floor. Our room / bathroom is in need of some TLC some may say tired looking. The bed was comfortable enough and the room was clean and tidy over bath shower with decent hot water so more than adequate. The staff were very attentive courteous and polite the food was really good there was just a little wait at breakfast due to a busy time. If I'm honest the only thing that left me feeling a little disappointed when checking out was the VAT which was added to every item we had whether food or drink for example a bottle of wine cost £32 on the wine list plus £5.33 VAT on check on our invoice!! Sorry this was a rip off and visitors need to be made aware of this. Won't be going back !!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank clive63Exmouth
Reviewed August 20, 2018

I was extremely disappointed at the service received at a recent meal, especially in the light of having eaten there many times before and the service, venue and food has been fine. All the staff seem to be new, none of the original crew. The restaurant staff appear to very young, maybe students with a temporary job. All tried there best but obviously had not been trained in serving in a fine dining restaurant. A tray of coffees were brought to our table beforew we had ordered. Food was delivered to the table and then whisked away only to appear minutes later!! The main meal was, at best, only luke warm and we did not fancy it being taken away only to be put in the microwave for a minute. The menu was generally uninspiring and the food we had was distinctly average. When challenged the head waiter stood at our table, hands on hips, and proceeded to bore us with his problems and why things were as they were. Evidently, they find it difficult to get staff and when they can get people there is no time to train them as they are too busy. Well, they won't be busy with me in future.

3  Thank Philip C
Reviewed August 13, 2018

We've taken to spending the night away at places less than an hour from home and this was a great find on Secret Escapes.

We were in the middle of a really cold spell and had to walk across the yard to the hotel, but it wasn't that bad at all really. Everywhere inside the hotel and our room were warm.

The food was good, service was good and I liked the character of the bar. Coffee in the lounge after dinner was warm and cosy.

Nothing to fault, hence the rating.

Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2018 via mobile

Well I was really looking forwards to the visit and expected high quality service. The room was ok but somewhat dated and I was not given a room type that I had booked, which was disappointing. When I asked to be moved to another room, the receptionist said because I booked through a third party and that I had arrived later at 8pm, they allocated me the last room in the hotel which was the only room they had left. This inferred to me that they didn’t particularly care for my booking sadly.

I asked to eat in the restaurant and could I go in as soon as possible on arrival, but I was told that due to staff shortages, I would not be able to be offered a table till an hour later...

The restaurant food was really well presented and lovely but very expensive. So mixed feelings about the hotel and not sure if I’d stay there again. So please be cautious when booking, as per the other reviews, no apologies given for any of this inconvenience.

Date of stay: July 2018