All reviews small hotel warm welcome fresh fruit friendly hotel town centre rooms are nice car park short walk choice of cereals single room stay there again within easy walking distance full english an evening meal quiet location booked this hotel biscuits
Reviewed September 2, 2018 via mobile

Having been treated to a visit to chatsworth country fair, we looked for somewhere nearby to stay for a couple of nights. The Abbeydale hotel was a really great choice. Short distant drive to Chatsworth, extremely friendly and helpful staff, a clean, comfortable room and excellent breakfast. We plan to rebook in the new year.

Date of stay: September 2018
1  Thank michaelhallett
Reviewed August 12, 2018 via mobile

We stayed here for one night whilst visiting friends in Chesterfield. We arrived slightly earlier than the 3.00 check-in but that was not a problem. We were met by the owner who checked is in and showed us to our room and made us feel very welcome. The room was clean and comfortable and well presented. We were met at breakfast by the landlady in the morning. Breakfast was lovely. We had the full breakfast but the were plenty of cereal, yoghurt, fruit etc. We couldn't find any fault with this hotel and would quite happily stay here again

Reviewed August 7, 2018

Very close to the town centre and a pleasant stroll in. Ample car parking. Donna was most welcoming and gave advise on eating places. Breakfast was good choice of cereals fruit yoghurt then order a cooked full English if required. Bedroom was compact but bathroom had plenty of space although the shower cubicle could be enlarged when it is due for replacement.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 3, 2018 via mobile

A very good bed and breakfast hotel which is very clean and comfortable. Very convenient and very friendly - highly recommended.
Not very far from town centre ( a short walk) where a host of good restaurants can be found.

Reviewed July 22, 2018

Chose this hotel as it was well rated. I arrived early afternoon and parked in the near empty carpark. Opened my car door to hear a voice yell across the carpark "You can't park there!" I couldn't see why not as the car beside me had parked the same way. I was not in any way obstructing any one. I moved. Then heard yelled across the carpark "Name!" I gave it though shocked at the way I had been spoken to. No Welcome to the Abbeydale Hotel. Please could you park your car over here,,,,

We then went into the reception to find the person shouting at us was the landlady.

We were told she had taken the money from my card. No, would you like to pay...

She then half ushered us to the stairs and told us to go up and open the room ourselves.

She then scampered off.

At breakfast … no "Good Morning"

My cooked breakfast was taken, then delivered whilst still eating my cereal. No apology, just plonked on the table.

The order was incorrect, the plate was cold and the contents were nearly all cold.

We got the impression we were not welcome, so we packed up and left.

Think they need some manners and taught how to treat a customer.

The place is cheap and cheerful yet the staff are far from that... maybe cheap

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank KenSolihull_England
Abbeydale H, Owner at Abbeydale Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2018

There is no need to be so rude about cheap staff, I will take it personally, as you are referring to me, this is my business and i have worked damn hard since i took over to make this place a success, why would i treat guests the way you imply, this is my living but obviously just the kind of person you are, to pass a comment like that, just another keyboard warrior once you have left the premises, you could have discussed this with me face to face, as you can see from all our reviews our welcome is always commented on, and for the right reasons.

Anyway Thank you for such a great review, shall we start from the beginning...
You arrived early Afternoon, just before check in, parked your Mercedes correctly, only to then turn it around and take up 4 car park spaces, bearing in mind that 4 other cars had managed to park correctly, and that car you refer to, was infact mine, parked infront of the Storage building, so i dont take guest space up, I popped out saying hello, and asked politely if you could turn it the correct way so I could accommodate all my guest cars, I was to be greeted with, I can't get luggage out of my boot, it does seem everyone else manages this, your Mercedes was not that big, and i asked could I take your name ,as I would sort the keys so as to not delay your check in, I did not scream across the car park either.... once inside you were quite happy, with the welcome and although not shown to your room, you were guided in the right direction, considering your door was right at the top of the stairs and open wide.. i didn't realise it was so hard to locate.

So, breakfast was cooked fresh and is always served on warm plates, the order was not incorrect, you ordered a full english breakfast, the only thing you would see as incorrect was it just had the one fried egg, not 2, maybe the reason it was cold was because you seemed to enjoy quite afew portions of fresh fruit, yoghurt, cereal and extra toast. And as our amazing staff are super efficient at cooking the breakfasts and get them out pretty quick, the amount you eat and how quickly is left with you.

Packed up and left.... you were the last guest to check out after leaving another hurtful comment in our guest book, you left extremely quietly never even making a sound hardly when leaving the keys on the bar !!!

I have manners, I was raised correctly, I find your comments very hurtful & would prefer for you to book somewhere maybe 5 star next time, not "cheap" 3 star as you suggest...