“Early check out”

Cedar House Bed & Breakfast
Cedar House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #20 of 54 Matlock B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 November 2017 via mobile

I hesitated to leave this review because of how lovely and helpful the staff were. But I rely on these reviews to make my own bookings and am disappointed to say the ones I read here let me down on this occasion. I think we may have potentially had one of the worst rooms and maybe that’s why.

Customer service was great. The whole family was polite, the breakfast was amazing. Location perfect. Our issue was the room. I’m pregnant, so we planned to spend some time in there and were not looking for a “base to crash” after a day/ night out, so comfort was important.

The room was cold (we slept with 3 blankets on at night) and the bathroom was freezing. The shower was powerless and barely passable as a shower at all (made worse by the bathroom temperature). The walls are thin (I heard the man next door snoring all night - after chatting away with his other half until midnight).

The worst issue for us was the bed. I got 3 hours sleep that night with the noise, temperature and ultimately the lumpy mattress. It seemed to be made out of memory foam, but as my fiancé put it “I’ve never lay on my side before, and my feet been up in the air not touching the bed”. There were dips and slopes in the strangest of places, which ultimately made for bad backs the next day (we’re in our 30’s and 40’s).

Ultimately we both agreed to come home a day early. Had I have not been pregnant, I might have had a few more glasses of wine in the evening, put some ear plugs in and another layer on and dealt with it, but that’s not my idea of a fun weekend away in honesty.

I’ve stayed in Ibis, other B&B’s and I get basic accommodation, but for this price in this location, I have to be honest and say the room fell short (and ultimately the stay is largely about the room....)

The next day we checked out a day early and I did wait to speak to Babaloe with our honest feedback, because she’d been so lovely, but she wasn’t there and we just wanted to hit the road. Ultimately after wasting £75, feeling tired and irritable and losing a day away on our mini-break because we were too shattered to enjoy it, it was probably for the best!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 November 2017 via mobile

Just got back today from a 2 night stay. Would I go back there yes..room was spotless with the comfiest bed I have ever slept in. Breakfast choice is really good. We had the full English both mornings. Good quality sausage and bacon. Coffee was excellent. As for the host..what a lovely lady. Very welcoming. And always asked in the morning if we were ok. And was genuinely interested in what we were going to be doing with our day.
Thank you Babaloe. Sorry if I have spelt that wrong.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights to see the Matlock Bath Illuminations and where not disappointed with any element of the stay whatsoever.

While a lot of comments mention the need for an update, that is true on some levels; however if you take the age of the property, heritage of the owners and the setting it is in the decor is more than suitable and in keeping.

The breakfast was fantastic with extra cereals / toast / juices as required along with 6 options for the main part of the breakfast.

The hosts were lovely and very accommodating to all dietary needs and were always willing to ensure our stay was as good as it could be.

If we head back up to Matlock, we would have no hesitation about staying here again.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2017

A 5 night stay proved to be a bit too long, as the B&B was not as good as we had hoped.
The surrounding area was why we were there so we were very happy with the location.
Steep stairs to a fairly small and 'need to be updated' room were an issue. Poor seating, and even poorer lighting made the stay tedious.
Parking was very tight, and although guests are provided with a paid spot in a nearby public carpark (when the available parks are full outside the B&B), security for the car is a bit lax.
Breakfast was adequate.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2017 via mobile

The beds were comfortable and the rooms were clean. The breakfast was very average and i dont particularly like choosing what i want for my breakfast the evening before. The host was friendly. The location was very good and only a few minutes walk to the shops and restaurants. The average rating is given because it wasnt particularly cheap to stay but it felt like the bare minimum was provided for the cost, so not particularly great value for the money.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2017

we stayed in the river view room at back of hotel, although furniture dated and not a very dramatic river view more garden/shed view, the room and ensuite were of a very good size and the bed was very comfortable, and was a quiet room. All our requests were met when we needed assistance.Accomodation based in a lovely quiet area with parking. Fruit salad and fried breakfast were excellent. Good value , and good location for visiting Abraham Heights and River Illuminations

Room Tip: river view room very good