“The Great Escape”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of The Hay Den

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“The Great Escape”
Reviewed May 7, 2016 for a stay in May 2016
person found this review helpful

We had decided that we needed a break from the city and the bank holiday was a good opportunity to escape from it. By luck i stumbled across the Hay Den on tripadvisor and we decided to book it. This was all without realising what a blissful and silent retreat it would be, from the welcome cake to waking in the mornings to the birds chirping and the view of ponies on the great green landscape. The Hay Den is an amazing retreat for anyone, whether that be just somewhere to stay while you hike or escaping for a little while. It situated with great access to Matlock, Chatsworth house and the Peaks. We hope to return in the future and highly recommend you stay if you can.

How easy was key pickup/access to the property?
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Alyce B
“Mrs”
Reviewed February 5, 2016 for a stay in January 2016
person found this review helpful

How anyone could not fall in love with this gem is beyond me. It is compact but perfectly formed with everything that you could need. Sharon is an absolute angel who would do anything to make you comfortable. The views and walks surrounding are pure perfection. We wouldn't hesitate to return.

MNaughton
Stafford, United Kingdom
“This is a beautifully appointed cosy get away for the Peak National Park”
Reviewed January 30, 2016 for a stay in December 2015
person found this review helpful

We booked the Hay Den for my mother in December 2015. Who stayed two very comfortable nights here. In fact she loved it that much, she wants us to book her in again for her next visit.
The accommodation itself was welcoming and beautifully decorated. Sharon the owner is a lovely, lovely lady, who could not do enough to make her stay welcoming and comfortable. She had even put out a few home made cakes out for her due to her late arrival, just in case she was peckish.
The den is a seperate building to the main house & has a double very comfortable bed and was beautifully warm on her arrival. A very clean en suite bathroom and a kitchen area for her, if she wished to make anything.
It was spotless, warm and perfect to come back to after a day out in the Peaks. It also has a stunning view down the valley. The area is central to many great attractions such as Buxton 25 mins, Chatsworth 20 mins, Matlock 10 mins, Wirksworth 10 mins, Cromford 5 mins and a 10 min walk to the most amazing pub (The Barley Mow..... The home of the World Championship Hen Racing and live music) They also make big Home made pub dinners at very reasonable prices. Which is a perfect place to ramble to after a great day walking, cycling or climbing.
She loved every minute of her homely stay with Sharon and will now be staying a lot more often. She has asked us to book her in again for her next visit. You most definitely arrive as a stranger and leave as a friend. It comes fully recommended.

Travelling group: Extended Family
Your age range 35-49
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
katiewhee...
London, United Kingdom
“Cosey little base, perfect place to come back to after exploring the beautiful area!”
Reviewed January 7, 2016 for a stay in December 2015
person found this review helpful

We had read other reviews and decided that the majority were very positive - so decided to go for it.

We arrived at Sharron's place on new years eve 2015 late afternoon, thank fully we hadn't been rained on yet but we we're very cold and tired after taking our bikes on the train from London. Sharron welcomed us in, and introduced us to Dave the dog! The Hey Den is exactly as the photos and description describe, so how anyone could get confused is beyond me.

The place was small but perfectly formed and just right for coming back and chilling out after spending the day cycling or walking in the beautiful surroundings.

Sharron was a perfect host, giving us advise on the best routes and areas to explore. She made a space in her shed for our bikes so they would stay dry and baked us some cakes for our arrival! The underfloor heating worked a treat and Sharron even provided us with an extra heater for the day we got particularly soaked out and about.

We had such a lovely weekend away and feel refreshed and energized to start the new year! Thank you again Sharron!

Best,
Katie & Katherine

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Travelling group: Friends
Your age range 25-34
Recommended for:
Friends getaway
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
siobhan h
Matlock, United Kingdom
“PERFECT!!!”
Reviewed December 22, 2015 for a stay in December 2015

I think anyone can see from the pictures that although the Hay Den is compact (see photos) that it is perfectly formed!
How anyone can not enjoy the peace and quiet here is beyond me The Hay Den is either not what there looking for or there not use to such perfectly formed accomadation, the phase you don't get big diamonds springs to mind!
When you can see that someone had put there heart and soul in to a place after what I only believe to be an horrendous few years for others to come in and throw negative, incorrect comments around I can only presume they've either never started there own buisness or are that narrow minded that there not even concerned about the impact there venomous words have on others!
The Hay den is a fantastic retreat and anyone who is lucky to stay here will have a fabulous time!!
P.s please refer to pictures to see size of accomadation

Phill H
“'Please don't make me stay here'”
Reviewed November 22, 2015 for a stay in November 2015

The first thing my girlfriend said when we arrived was 'please don't make me stay here'.

I just stood in shock after we were shown to the half a shoe box room which was deceptively touted with cleverly disguised photos as a studio apartment.

The angled crack which was supposed to be a shower room, freezing floor with its airplane toilet size sink and the cheapest Argos camp beds with a zero support squishy mattress and one tog duvet made both our jaws drop with abject disappointment.

You could stand in the middle of the room and the 'kitchen', bed and crack (bathroom) were half a step from each other.

Someone thought, oh lets make a bit of cash with our disused coal bunker, lets do it up for a few hundred quid and let it out. Oh and charge extra if you want to dry yourself
with a towel!!!

Needless to say we booked a hotel online and scarpered quickly. I did not make her stay there, and unless you like the smell of damp and don't care about getting sciatica
I really suggest you don't either!

She must have a lot of mates who offered to write good reviews about this place, because I cannot believe they are genuine!

It was really rather mean spirited when we asked for a refund and were refused point blank!!!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Nothing
Liked least: The freezing damp cold
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Katie W
Derbyhaven, United Kingdom
“Excellent cosy little getaway!”
Reviewed November 5, 2015 for a stay in October 2015
person found this review helpful

I stayed at the Hay den for a whole month, whilst I was on placement for my Nursing degree. The views are incredible, unfortunately I didn't get to go out on any hikes as I was working 24/7 which was a shame! Accommodation was great, had everything I needed for the month! Sharon the owner, went above and beyond to help me with anything! She is a real lovely lady|! Due to bad weather, the internet wasn't very good quality and I had a essay due! Sharon went out and got me a cable to plug into the modem! Which was really appreciated!!! Cakes on arrival were yummy!!! Would highly recommended staying here! Accommodation is very cosy and very peaceful! Thank you so much! Highly recommend staying here :)

Travelling group: Solo Traveller
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing