“Definitely well-named!”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Jewel Cottage

The Lounge - Smart TV and Log Burner
The Master Bedroom
Kitchen
The Lower Ground Floor Bedroom - can be a twin bedded room of superking double
The Bathroom with a shower cubical and bath
Another view in the Master bedroom with stained glass windows onto the stairwell
The utility and bike shed
The back yerd off the kitchen - great for breakfast on a summers day
The Front Garden and a glass of wine!
Another view of The Master Bedroom
The Front Door
Kitchen
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

huggermug...
Newbury
“Definitely well-named!”
Reviewed September 26, 2015 for a stay in September 2015

I stayed here with a friend whilst working at Chatsworth Country Fair. It really is a little jewel. Everthing we could have wanted was provided, and more. The cottage is very comfortable and I feel the furnishings are very much in keeping with the period of the building and make the most of the space available. I would imagine it is a bit on the small side for a family of four or five but then again, it is a small two bedroomed cottage and advertised as such, at a very reasonable rate - so you pays your money and takes your choice imho! We had a peek at Gate Cottage next door, also owned & rented out by Martin and that was lovely as well. Both are beautifully presented. Our beds were very comfortable, all the fittings were of a very high quality. It is clear both Martin and the two Carols take a great pride in the place as it is well kept and spotless. A big plus for me was being able to take my dog - Martin was very understanding about my dogsitting arrangements having fallen through! The location is quiet but within easy reach of various restaurants and shops - what little I saw of Matlock was lovely. I hope to return again next year.

Travelling group: Friends
People with pets
29 Sep 2015
We look forward to having you back next year....thank you for you very kind comments and don't forget to book early as next year is open for booking already. Regards - Martin
794julie1...
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Good!”
Reviewed August 1, 2015 for a stay in July 2015

Hi, My family and I have been visitor's throughout the Derbyshire area for many yrs now and have stayed at many cottages in the region,. On this occasion, my son, daughter and sister joined me. Jewel Cottage "Exceptional" rating ...Hmm!!...That said, I feel i am being very disrespectful to the owner, as we did enjoy the nice bottle of wine left on our arrival, so i would like to add that my comments are purely due to minor detail. ... I will start at the top! All beds are very comfortable but a far better nights sleep would be had, if during the summer months, a lower tog quilt be supplied, as a hot, uncomfortable and very little nights sleep was had by all of the family during our stay.Both bedrooms would also benefit a dressing table each and more hangers, as there where only four.. Bathroom: Perhaps a power point, for gents use, however nice and clean, with plenty of white fluffy towels, even toilet roll. Kitchen: very well equipped, just lacked bench space, as it is small. Front garden and back yard area, small but nice. The lounge in my opinion, is what really let the cottage down drastically. Serious in need of update there, i feel. It holds a drop leafed dinning table that serves know earthly purpose to a family of 4/5 as there are only 2 chairs and know room to open it out even if there where. I would remove it altogether, to make more room for some comfortable chairs to sit on, as there where none that i found. I don't mind period features around me but in good supply as it was in the lounge, i found it depressing and not a comfortable area to relax in at all. Please update it for me, Martin!!! I found no problems entering or exiting the steep, stoney drive, though a family member did watch me out, onto Smedley street, as view is restricted. At the top of the drive, as stated...it is exceptionally tight, when leaving room for the neighbours car. I think two large cars together,would have problems. Finally: With lounge updated, we would stay at Jewel Cottage next year. All the best Martin and the lovely Carol. Julie, Lynn and family. sunderland.

3 Aug 2015
Hi Julie - thank you very much for the kind comments and a few of the suggestions too. I'm sorry you didn't have a good nights sleep and the Tog wasn't to your liking, I brought them new last year and decided on the type of tog that is supposed to self regulate, cant be that good then if you felt they were too warm, shame I spent so much money on them. I hope you found the fan that we provide for those rare nights we get in Summer when it really is too warm. When we totally refurbished and dressed the cottage last year we had to decide on Super King size beds OR a dressing table and chose the larger beds which as you said were to your liking but therefore left no room for dressing tables though there are chests of draws in each room with mirrors as well as hair dryer. I would really like the cottage to have a separate dining room but unfortunately that isn't possible as the area is designated of historical interest and I cant build on hence the only place for a table that some guests like to use is in the lounge, small so it doesn't take up too much space and two further chairs to seat four around the table are in the lower ground floor bedroom, again we tried to put them somewhere so as not to crowd the lounge. I wonder what else we can do to make the lounge more comfortable, it has a log burner, sofa, easy chair, smart TV on the wall, to again try and maximise space. If you can think of anything else please let me know, or where we could put the dining table rather than in the lounge. Regards. Martin
John B
Coffs Harbour, Australia
“Just what we needed”
Reviewed July 16, 2015 for a stay in July 2015

Jewel Cottage, was perfect for our 3 day visit to Matlock. Everything was thought through from a guests perspective. It was tastefully furnished, well equipped, clean and full of character. After 4 weeks staying in single rooms in Greece and Italy it was just what the doctor ordered. I have never seen my wife so excited to see a washing machine.

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
17 Jul 2015
So glad you enjoyed your stay and thank you for the review. Martin
Gill G
“Lovely, comfortable cottage, highly recommended.”
Reviewed June 15, 2015 for a stay in June 2015

Very comfortable, well equipped holiday let in a lovely area. Nice sunny garden at the front and small private patio at the back ideal for sunny days. Lots to do in Matlock and the surrounding area for all ages and abilities. We would stay here again in a flash and thoroughly recommend it.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The lovely interior and comfort of the bedrooms.
Liked least: It was all good
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway Older travelers
16 Jun 2015
Thank you for your comment, hope we can tempt you back to see more of Derbyshire in the not too distant future.
Culturewi...
Perth, Australia
“Charming, snug retreat”
Reviewed June 10, 2015 for a stay in June 2015

I stayed two nights at Jewel Cottage, whilst my parents stayed three, and we were charmed by how lovely, private and comfortable the cottage was.
I stayed in the basement bedroom and my initial reaction was to send a photo to all my friends to gloat; a beautiful king sized bed in heavy down bedding to fight off the chill; beautiful, eclectic mix of vintage furnishings in not just my room but the living room as well; beautiful soft throw rugs and pillows giving a soft, comfortable feel to the stone building.
Modern refurbished kitchen and bathroom were a pleasure and that shower! Perfect.
A nice little garden frontage with a few chairs for a sneaky cuppa in the morning sunshine, as well as little courtyard out the back for privacy.
Good strong wifi in the house, also in the basement which is great.
Location-wise, the cottage is up a very steep hill from the main town, and it is walkable if you're fit and keen. There is car parking for 2 cars at a push but there were several times when we had to juggle the parking with on-street parking as the people next door blocked the second carpark. Very steep driveway with little visibility for backing onto the street so having somebody to spot you is advisable.
Great little beer shop across the road with very helpful staff - happy to have a chat and advise on good eating spots.
All in all, a simply wonderful stay and if it had been winter, and miserable outside instead of sunny, I would hole up here all weekend with a good book, a cup of tea and a wine in the evenings.
Strongly recommend for those looking for somewhere charming, luxuriously comfortable in non-ostentatious setting.
Can't comment on the service/dealings with the owners as my parents managed that side of things but they reported the ease of booking and communications.

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: The beds!!! and the general charm of the place
Liked least: Parking was a bit tricky - not really enough room for two if one of the parkers is inconsiderate.
Friends getaway Older travelers
People with pets
11 Jun 2015
Thank you so much for your wonderful and helpful comments - hope we can welcome you back again soon. Martin
WolfieB1
Brighton, United Kingdom
“The perfect place for a stay with family”
Reviewed April 29, 2015 for a stay in April 2015

Fabulous cottage with two great bedrooms, bathroom and a kitchen with everything you need. Why stay in a hotel if you can have your own little house? Clean, comfy and quiet. Good location and local attractions are easy to be reached.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: space and cleanliness
Liked least: everything was perfect
Friends getaway
11 May 2015
Many Thanks for the review.....Martin
jandi1971
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Perfect little retreat”
Reviewed April 12, 2015 for a stay in April 2015

I booked this cottage for my husband and myself with our two teenage boys as we had a family wedding in the area and we were not disappointed. It was small and compact and had everything we could have wanted for our stay with lovely comfy beds and and very clean and tidy . Would defiantly recommend to any one

Travelling group: Other
13 Apr 2015
Thanks for the comment - really appreciated.

martin
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing