“family connection”

Kinsale Heritage Walks
Ranked #2 of 13 Tours in Kinsale
More attraction details
Owner description: Dermot Ryan’s Kinsale Heritage Town Walks, rated as “The ideal way to see Kinsale and learn its history” by the Irish Times, uses a unique blend of old photographs and maps to show the heritage of this special town. Daily from the Tourist Office, 10.30 and 3 p.m., lasting an Irish hour, Hail, Rain or Snow ! Adults, 5 Euro, Children free, Special group rates.
Milan, Italy
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“family connection”
Reviewed 22 February 2012

We arrived in Kinsale with the ambitious plan of tracing my father who lived there for a while way back in the 80's and had the good fortune of bumping into this friendly, knowledgeable and generous man!!!
On the second day we left with photographs, dates, stories, faces and even an old cookery book to fill in some of the empty spaces....
A refereshingly optimistic enounter with lovely lovely people in a truly magical place.
A comprehensible decision on my father's behalf!
Jacqueline

Visited February 2012

Seattle
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Quintessential Irish Hospitality”
Reviewed 16 January 2012

My 10 year old son and I hopped a bus from Cork on an impromptu trip to Kinsale. When we arrived, we were sad to discover that the Tourist Office was closed. No sooner than we tried the door, Dermot appeared out of nowhere. I told him that we were headed up to see the Charles Fort and he proceeded to take the time on his day off to point us in the right direction and gave us tips to avoid problems on the 40 minute hike up to the fort. He also pointed out where we could get some water for our long hike at the nearest SuperValu store. As we were leaving the store with our water, we ran into him again and he kindly offered to give us a ride up to the fort saving us from a very long walk. Although the fort just happened to be closed for maintenance, we still very much enjoyed our time there. Because of Dermot's kindness, we were able to use the extra time we saved to explore the rest of Kinsale at our leisure. Despite not getting a full tour, we will never forget Dermot's kindness. A bit of Irish luck mixed with such grace and hospitality left a indelible mark on our hearts. Thanks a million Dermot! You more than live up to your reputation.

3 Thank sshimizu
Milan, Italy
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Insider's view of this lovely port town”
Reviewed 12 January 2012

We're a South African/Belgian family who have roots in County Cork, Ireland, and this town has long been on my wish list of travel destinations. It is a beautiful place and I can highly recommend spending the hour or so walking around the town with Dermot Ryan. He's born and bred there and his tour is full of lovely anecdotes and rich in the history of Kinsale. He took care to include my girls when telling his stories - very thoughtful and much appreciated. Dermot has kindly assisted me in getting information on my forbears.

Fort Charles, on the hill above the town, is very definitely worth a visit too. A wonderful visit all round.

Visited November 2011
Asheville, NC
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Dermott Ryan really knows the history of Kinsale”
Reviewed 29 November 2011

I had done Dermott's tour once before, but this time, I shared it with my four adult daughters. Kinsale is a fabulous, historical town in Ireland, and Dermott knows it backwards and forwards. Highly recommended, and it's only five euros!

Visited August 2011
1 Thank jeannecharters
Chicago, Illinois
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Fantastic walking tour of Kinsale with a great host!”
Reviewed 26 November 2011

We just happened to come upon this walking tour when we stopped at Kinsale. What a great tour. There is no way we would have ever learned or seen so much about this town on our own. Our guide, Dermot Ryan was not only fully informed about the town but he was very friendly and absolutely hilarious. I was actually sad when the tour came to an end!
If you are in the Cork area you should most certainly visit Kinsale and take the Heritage walk with Dermot Ryan.

Visited November 2011