“Creative and fun day out.”

Kinsale Pottery and Arts Centre
Ranked #14 of 34 things to do in Kinsale
More attraction details
Owner description: Kinsale Pottery and Arts Centre offer short courses in a wide range of arts and crafts throughout the year. These include pottery, stained and fused glass, jewellery-making, mosaics, batik, needle felting, weaving and rag weaving,sculpting in silver and childrens arts and crafts. We specialise in one-day workshops and weekend breaks for visitors, and half-day sessions for groups of between 6 and 50 people. The Centre also has a large gallery of Adrian Wistreich's ceramics.
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I visited Kinsale Ceramics for a one day taster course in pottery with my teenage daughter & what a lovely time we had. Aidrian gave us a very genuine warm welcome and we were with a group of about 6 other novices. The studio is a lovely sunny space set in a really beautiful country location just outside Kinsale town. We had a little tour and a little talk and then we got down to business and started creating! I was surprised how much we managed to make in one day ! Everyone produced a wall plaque, a small bowl or mug and finally a piece of sculpture . There were lots of books and magazines available for inspiration. Adrian was a relaxed and engaging teacher, he seemed to bring out the best in everyone. The focus is on the process rather than the product so even if you feel that your not very artistic but would like to try pottery then don't be scared ... Go to Kinsale and give it a go !

1  Thank Siubhanmac
There are newer reviews for Kinsale Pottery and Arts Centre

Reviewed 13 April 2012

After a three hour session at kinsale Pottery and arts centre, I (an artistic neanderthal) produced
1. a clay plaque for my grandsons bedroom door
2. a quirky soup bowl or perhaps it will be a large cappucino vessel, failing that, wine will be supped from it's bowels (when all the wine glasses are in the dishwasher of course)
3. A present for my 'to be wed' daughter who just happens to be a Rhinocerous fanatic.

Adrian Wistreich makes it all seem so easy (and secretly we know that it definitely isn't). Adrian times the session very well, ensuring that you get to complete each piece (or project as he prefers) with just enough time to spare.

Location of the studio just a mile or so from Kinsale is really beautiful, with loads of space in the pottery to potter or whatever ....

A really enjoyable session, good for the body and good for the mind. Just wear old clothes and don't bring your best camera, in fact don't bring anything that you value, well lets face it, clay, murky water and paints are the focus of this activity - nuff said.

Adrian begins by explaining the whole pottery process and this is very interesting for anyone who has not been privy to the technology previously.

If time allows, Adrian will include a tour of the adjacent gallery. Sadly as our class were a bit on the 'slow side' we didn't have time for this but just another excuse to visit lovely Ballilnacurra again.

The cost €30 was excellent value for three hours and included all materials, + as much tea and coffee as you could drink.

I thoroughly recommend it for your body, your mind and your artistic cravings.

They also provide longer courses for anyone who wants to elongate their creative passion.

3  Thank Bryno
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Really enjoyed the day. Got to try different techniques including making a bowl on the pottery wheel, some sculpture and a wall plaque. I hadn't tried it before and it was great to give it a go. I would definitely recommend it.

2  Thank gerrimac
Reviewed 12 February 2012

My husband and I attended a beginners lesson in pottery at the Kinsale Pottery in December 2011. The teacher (Adrian Wistreich) was fantastic. He was very helpful and patient and provided us with a very enjoyable experience. This was our first attempt at pottery and the pace of the lesson was pitched perfectly. We were given the opportunity to make three seperate pieces, including using the wheel and our pieces were ready for collection a week later! The facilities were great and the location was beautiful, leaving us with a great memory of our first pottery experience. We will definitely return when we're next in Kinsale!

Reviewed 5 January 2012

For my birthday, decided to do something different this year...and drag a few girl friends along.....I study art part time so felt that something creative was just the thing....and got those with non creative bones in their bodies out doing something very different!..The day was a great success - especially loved working with the pottery wheel - many laughs ensued followed by a chorus of '' oh my love, my darling....'' (remember that famous 'Ghost' film scene......)..Funnily enough the girls who never really did anything creative before produced some amazing works of sculpture...and would go back for more creative fun!..I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for an inspiring taster day, and you even get to take your creations away with you which is a lovely reminder of the fun times had....

1  Thank orlaor