12 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Expedia.comUS$272
Hotels.comUS$272
eDreamsUS$273
TravelocityUS$272
CheapTicketsUS$272
Orbitz.comUS$272
2,633 results
All reviews bell tower junior suite knights bar golf club afternoon tea garden room manor house pure luxury spa treatments beautiful hotel lovely grounds top class wedding party from start to finish east cork eggs benedict lovely touch
Selected filters
Reviewed May 16, 2016

Enjoyed the experience very much, room, welcome and friendliness of highest standard. Breakfast unfortunately did not match what I expected, Overall enjoyed and will be back and hope to make greater use of facilities

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
GMCastlemartyr, Guest Relations Manager at Castlemartyr Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2016

Dear michaeloG3862EB,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you experienced our warm welcome and friendly staff. I have noted your feedback regarding breakfast which I will be investigating immediately and implementing corrective action where needed.

Reviewed May 16, 2016 via mobile

We stayed here Friday night after arriving at 14.30 the lovely Sarah booked us in, she was very helpful.
Our room was fab
It was a lovely day so we walked the trails, met a few dog owners
We had a massage booked for 17.00 which was very good.
Breakfast was a different affair, the waiting staff didn't seem to know what table they were delivering to , the numbering system isn't very clear.
Poached eggs were stone cold as were my partners, not very nice , bacon was pale & fatty , left most of it.

Date of stay: May 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank dgosul

Dear dgosul,
Thank you for your five star review.
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you experienced Sarah's warm welcome. I have noted your feedback regarding breakfast service and I will be reviewing our systems with the breakfast team immediately to ensure a similar experience does not happen again.
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed walking the grounds so much.

Reviewed May 16, 2016

Before attending the hotel, as usual, I read the negative reviews here to see what guests didn't like about the hotel, so we didn't have any nasty surprises. To be honest, I found the majority of the complaints to be silly and snobbish and in many cases, easily remedied had they spoken up during their visit. In every way, we felt this hotel meets the 5 stars it deserves.
With regard to our own visit, it was our 10 year wedding anniversary and the first time we had been away just the 2 of us for years so it was extra special for us.
We arrived and immediately found that parking was an issue but this seemed to be more to do with inconsiderate guests taking up too much room. We parked on the side of the roadway at the front of the hotel which was not ideal but we were not alone in doing this. There were lots of lovely horses in the field, some of which came quite close to greet us.
Entering the hotel, we were immediately greeted by 2 staff, one offering to take our bags to our room which we respectfully declined. The receptionist was friendly and lightly chatty. There was no information provided but she gave us a pack and I presumed further information regarding breakfast and dining but this was in the room so it was fine. We mentioned that it was our 10 year wedding anniversary to which she congratulated us. We had hoped a possible upgrade may be on offer. We didn't wish to ask and nothing was offered. We were ok with this though I appreciate others may have been disappointed in the same position. She gave us good directions to our room and I appreciated the comments regarding the distance and walking it took to get there. It felt like we were on our way to a gate to catch a flight. Lots of winding corridors.
The deluxe room we were provided, room 117 was large and spacious. There was a lovely separate dressing area, large marble bathroom with separate shower and toilet and a large deep bath with double sinks. The toiletries are from the White Company which is lovely. A mending kit, shoe shine, vanity kit and shower caps were also provided in addition to bath gel, shampoo, conditioner and lotion. There was a vanity mirror in one of the side cabinets at the sink area but the light on it did not work. There was a good hairdryer in the opposite cabinet, built in to prevent removal. I have very long hair and most hotel hair dryers struggle to dry it sufficiently but having forgotten my own, the hotel hairdryer was a worthy adversary and worked very well. There was a large blind on our bathroom window which could not be pulled up. This was a frustration as it was very warm during our stay and though we could open the bathroom windows, with the large blind unmovable, no air could really get in. Seeing other guest photos, we should have been able to pull the blind up but this was not an option.
There were 2 large bath towels and 2 hand towels but the bath towels were too big for my hair and the hand towels too small. I asked for extra towels and these were brought straight away which was great.
At 7pm, there was a knock on the door offering a turn down service which we declined but it was nice to be offered this.
There was a refreshments area at the room entrance where there was a older style Nespresso coffee machine. We were given 10 pods, 8 of which were decaffeinated coffee. Unfortunately, the machine did not work well and having used all the pods, the machine only produced 2 cups of coffee. We told the receptionist of this when we left so that this could be rectified. There was green tea and barry's tea also available as well as 2 bottles of mineral water in the small cooler beneath.
The dressing area had 2 lovely robes and disposable slippers and plenty of space to change.
The bed was very comfortable and I am very fussy about these things but it was large and came with plenty of pillows.
There was a keyboard for use with the television but ours did not work. On inspection, there were no batteries. I forgot to mention this to the hotel. We used the batteries from the remote control but the functionality of the service was glitchy and so we didn't use it at all in the end. We had good wifi on our room but found it didn't work in the main areas of the hotel (Knight's Bar, reception)
After arriving and reading through the hotel guide in our room, I rang reception for advice on the best part of the hotel to grab a coffee and light bite to eat. She recommended the Knights bar. There was no-one there when we arrived, not even behind the bar. Eventually a staff member came and we ordered coffee and scones. This took some time though and we had started to think they forgot about us. But a lovely presentation of a scone selection, butter, cream and yummy raspberry jam were provided and our server apologised for the delay stating the scones were made fresh. They were still piping hot from the oven. They were delicious and the coffee was some of the nicest we've had in a long time. Worth the wait.
We went all around the grounds and gardens after this. It was lovely. They had taken great care to ensure lawns were freshly cut and hedges trimmed. There was plenty of outdoor seating and we were blessed with fine warm weather. It was so relaxed and made us feel very welcomed. Any staff members we saw all greeted us pleasantly and this made us feel very comfortable.
On returning to our room, there was a plate with 'Happy Anniversary' written in chocolate and chocolate coated strawberries. Clearly the lovely receptionist had paid attention on check-in and this was a lovely surprise to return to!
We had pre-booked dinner via our itinerary prior to attending for Francini's. We arrived at the restaurant and it was a small but calm space but we felt the staff seemed to be lacking training. The waitress dropped my salad fork when she brought us water but did not replace this. I ended up using my husband's unused one as he didn't need it. Overall, the staff were pleasant but not very attentive. It took a while after our main course before we were approached for dessert and it took 3 attempts to get their attention to get the bill. It wasn't that they weren't busy, all staff were redressing the tables for the following day and not paying any attention to the guests still dining. Also, we felt the tables were too close together which meant trying to enjoy a private conversation was impossible without those on accompanying tables hearing. This meant the atmosphere at all tables around us was a little off. We heard other guests around us mention this. The food was exceptional and delicious and the portion sizes were generous. The prices were also very good and we were pleasantly surprised by the final bill.
After our meal, we retreated to the Knights bar again for a couple of drinks. There was 1 barman and he seemed to disappear frequently however the atmosphere was very relaxed and laid back and we enjoyed it. It was by no means busy and the seats were very comfortable. We had a cocktail each and however they were very expensive in my view - €13.50 for a Cosmopolitan and the same for a Mojito. We can only surmise that this is the hotel using their 5* discretion to charge more. The only time we felt this was the case
Breakfast the following morning was in the Bell Tower. We were escorted to a lovely table by a window overlooking the pristine gardens. We were told that continental breakfast buffet was in the room opposite the restaurant. The restaurant itself was small and consisted of 3 adjoining rooms. We were there on a Friday morning and it was not busy (9am) but I could imagine it being quite cramped and busy in higher season or the day after a wedding.
The buffet room was small with many people reaching over one another and getting in each other's way but there was a good selection of fruit, meats, cereals and pastries on offer. I got us juice and some small pastries.
The cooked breakfast menu was on each table and had a lot on offer. My husband had the full Irish and I went with French toast. We were very pleased with what we were given and the coffee was nice. Not as nice as what we received in the Knights bar the previous day however but still it was very hot (a rare but good thing for us).
Unfortunately, time did not allow us to make use of the leisure facilities or spa on this occasion so we cannot comment.
Overall, we loved our stay. The hotel was so plush and clean and quiet and there were little places surprise areas like the Living Room where you could easily sit and relax with a book. The 1 star removed is simply for the aggregated minor complaints mentioned above but I feel quite mean in doing so as were are already itching to get back there.
We will absolutely be back there again!

Room tip: Even room numbers overlook the front of the hotel. Odd numbers are the back.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank littlebird_Ireland

Dear littlebird_Ireland,
Thank you for writing such a detailed review of your recent stay and for choosing Castlemartyr Resort to celebrate your special wedding anniversary.
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed all of our facilities and that you are looking forward so much to returning.
I have noted all of your feedback and I will be sure to pass it on to all the team.
Looking forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed May 16, 2016

Very well located first class hotel . Very local to many local attractions like The Jameson Experience Midleton, Stephen Pearce Pottery & Ballymaloe house in Shanagarry.
Or just take in the stunning views at Garryvoe or Ballycotton beaches.

Room tip: Golf available on a well maintained course and some stunning walks
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Irelands3455

Dear Irelands3455,
Thank you for your very nice review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that you found so many of our local attractions to your liking.

Reviewed May 16, 2016

Great service. Friendly staff. Beautiful setting. Spa and pool were amazing. Food was delicious. And then to top it all off, great bed with comfy pillows. We had a wonderful stay and I would definitely recommend Catlemartyr!

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear kikide,
Thank you for your five star review and for recommending Castlemartyr Resort.
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed all of our facilities.
I will be sure to pass on your review to all the team.