All reviews leap visitor card basic toiletries city centre minute bus ride living room room was clean free wifi hot water bushy park three nights buses accommodation pubs ireland suitcases comfort shampoo
Reviewed August 1, 2018 via mobile

The cleanest place lovely and comfortable very friendly. Even have shampoo and conditioner to use. A very beautiful lounge to sit in and relax. I would come back again and tell my friends to stay as well. Thankyou so much for a terrific stay.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2018

I stayed at St Aiden's last week with my sister. Accommodation in Dublin is hideously expensive, so we opted to stay a little out of town and make use of a 72 hour Leap visitor card to get around., with multiple buses into town passing the end of the road on a very regular basis. Our room was clean and airy and the bathroom was stocked with basic toiletries, which was a bonus, though I agree with a previous reviewer that the sinks really ARE tiny. We stayed midweek and so breakfast was DIY. However, there was a good choice of cereal, fruit, bread and jam/marmalade, as well as tea/coffee/orange juice, so we were perfectly happy. If you're into coveting other people's houses, there are plenty to admire in Rathgar!

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed July 2, 2018

I stayed for a couple of days in this fine guesthouse, as I did not want to be in all the bustle-and-hustle of the major tourist attractions, instead, in a calm neighbourhood, which would allow me to walk and get by using the public transport. I wanted a pleasant and calm stay, and one that made me feel free to do as I please, and at the same time, have all the creature-comforts of a family home.

St. Aiden's is just that: a perfect hidden gem: pleasant, warm and welcoming, comfortable, and at the same time easy-going carefree stay.

Well received by the owners and staff, who instantly made me and my wife a cup of tea with something to nibble as soon as we arrived, we instantly felt welcome and "at home". The rooms were just the right size for us, and our bunch of suitcases, and was impeccably clean. With all the necessary items, such as basic toiletries, hairdryer, electric kettle and plenty of tea bags, milk and sugar, it was just perfect. Hot water, a good shower, and we were instantly fresh for the day.

From St. Aiden's, we could either walk ( a good 30-40 minutes) into the city centre (which we did!), or use the bus, about 5 minutes from the guesthouse. The neighbourhood is safe and nice to walk in, and nobody will bother you. The public transport (bus) works efficiently, and offers free wi-fi too!

The bed and pillow was perfect, and the room always cleaned to perfection.

The breakfast extraordinary: a simple Irish/British breakfast, without any exaggerations, but as plentiful as you can handle: fruit, toast, eggs, etc.

It was a perfect stay, and we can only praise and thank the hosts for making it so nice and memorable.

If back in Dublin, it will surely be the home to return to!

Room Tip: I guess that all rooms are great!
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 11, 2018

This was my final stop on my 2 1/2 weeks driving trip through Ireland and it was totally unlike any of the other 7 good to great places I had stayed previously. I stayed for 2 nights. I had been influenced by the favourable reviews on Tripadvisor when I made my booking. Unfortunately, it seemed I must have ended in a different place. St. Aiden's is in a nice enough residential neighbourhood, close to some small shops and not too far from the city by bus. I actually walked to town on the second day I was there. It's about 3 km or so and is a pleasant stroll in the morning when the weather's fine. But there were too many shortcomings: (1) Marie is a mixed bag. She's a friendly and nice lady but there's a "but". She had e-mailed me the day before I arrived asking for my time of arrival. I replied that I would be driving from Belfast, making a few stops along the way, and expecting to arrive around 2 p.m. I arrived around 2:05 p.m. A guy from a nearby car repair shop directed me to the street behind the guesthouse. Apparently, it's hard to find a parking spot in the front. So I parked in the back, gathered some of my belongs and walk round to the front to check in. When I said I still have my luggage in the car and wanted to go through the back of the house (where my car was parked) instead of walking all the way back round the block, she initially said I'd have to do that (walk round the block). She said she was concerned her dog might get out if I went through the back. She must have seen the look of consternation on my face because she quickly changed her mind and allowed me to go through the back. It's really no big deal to keep the dog inside for a couple of minutes while a guest collects luggage from the back of the house. Mind boggling stuff. I had to ask about wifi passwords and how to get to the city. Everywhere else, I was told this on arrival and then told that all that information was also in a file/note book in the room. Marie seemed to want me to read about it myself. Giving standard information like this when guests arrive is a way to establish rapport with guests. It doesn't help asking if I had driven far after my e-mail indicating that I'd be driving from Belfast. (2) Note that this is not a B&B. Breakfast is prepared only on the weekends (I was there during the week). On other days, you help yourself in a tiny kitchen that can comfortably accommodate 2 people at most. There's a mini mini miniature fridge with some milk, orange juice and packaged cheese slices. There's a loaf of bread and toaster, a small selection of cereals, and some fruit that have been dead for a few days. (3) The tea towel has a foul smell. (4) The house itself is quite old with wooden floors that creaks in agony. You'll hear guests walking, showering, talking, watching tv (my room was above the family living room and I could hear the TV downstairs), flushing toilets, and so on. (5) The fridge in my room made constant gurgling sounds so I had to disconnect it. (6) The bathroom towels smelled like gym towels. The sink was really tiny and there was barely enough elbow room. (7) Wifi was virtually non-existent in my room. I had to go down the hallway, or into the living room in the front to get a decent reception. (8) The window blinds is an accordion type made of some kind of white translucent material that lets lots of light in during the night.

I had asked Marie if I needed exact change for the buses. She said it wasn't necessary. Well, it turns out that buses don't give change. What you get is a paper receipt which you'll have to turn in at an office downtown if you want to get change. Sigh!

There were other issues but this review is already too long. You get the picture.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed March 28, 2018 via mobile

Stayed for three nights in march and were very pleased. Room was quiet and comfy, had everything we needed. Little fridge, tv, great hot shower with shampoo and soap and comfy bed. We were very stressed out when had our little weekend holiday from our busy lives and this weekend at this place was just what the doctor ordered. Had a nice buffet breakfast every morning and walk around Dublin. Slept for 12hrs per night and read a book I borrowed from the living room shelf.

The staff was friendly and helpfull. We got an extra duvet when asked for one, the room was warm but we just dont cope with double duvet

Rathgar area had good restaurants and if you enjoy parks and long walks please go to Bushy park, 10 min walk from this guest house. A very nice green park with old trees - you will truly feel like youre on the emerald isle ☘️

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple