All reviews afternoon tea cakes drawing room his mother set menu lough corrib other guests step back in time old world second helpings very special place tiger skin petit fours perfect country food allergies excellent chef cheese board
Reviewed April 27, 2018

Relaxed country house stay with a boundless by-gone charm, unpretentious comfort and discreet but very helpful hospitality, nothing too much trouble. Exceptionally imaginative and delicious food at all meals using homegrown/foraged/locally produced with high quality ingredients. A foodies delight. Beautifully secluded grounds on shores of Lough Corrib, small town nearby. Lots of walking, fishing, boating to island for picnic, beaches in the area

Room Tip: Larger bedrooms appear at the front of the house, there are only 12.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed December 12, 2017 via mobile

What a beautiful house nestling beautifully on the corrib. We had two rooms and Henry and his family looked after us really well. The beds were comfortable and my room had a lovely balcony type window with views of the lake. The dinner was fabulous served with very reasonably priced wine by the very charming Henry. Breakfast was also really good and we enjoyed the chats with some other guests. The whole style of the house fosters a nice cosy environment. The grounds are also beautiful and there are nice walks. One very minor thing I would like to see is good showers in all rooms. My travel companion had a power shower but my shower was a simple over bath unit which could have done with more water pressure. Oh one nice touch was that a bottle of water was left in each room. All in all this is a quirky beautiful house run really well. I would happily go back in a heartbeat.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank DaveyIRL
Reviewed November 10, 2017

We stayed here in June & I am just reviewing now (should have done this sooner ) All I can say about this house is I felt like I was staying in a museum . Henry is a good host
and the rooms are very large . The location is lovely on Lough Corrib, it is very quiet & certainly lends itself to relaxation . lots of antiques & old books . Afternoon tea was wonderful with homemade cakes & treats .
Henry's wife is a gourmet chef so dinner here is very special in a formal dining room with Henry & his mom serving . It was a very special evening , this house has been in the family for a very long time & Henry told us it is one of the oldest guest houses in Ireland .

Room Tip: this is a old house , no TV & internet access was spotty , but that is part of the charm
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 4, 2017

Located about 30 minutes outside of Galway on Lough Corrib, this charming old mansion oozes comfort and grace. The owners could not have been more gracious and hospitable. The living room and working fireplace are cozy and comfy. Plan to have at least one dinner here. It is fabulous. Locally sourced ingredients and menu offerings. Row boats available. Tea every afternoon with a selection of cakes and pastries. Lots of acreage to roam around in. Rooms are spacious enough. Small bathrooms, but to be expected. For a calming and peaceful getaway, you can't go wrong with this place.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank t-bonetraveller
Reviewed November 1, 2017 via mobile

Spent 2 nights over Oct bank holiday weekend and it was excellent. Henry & co were extremely attentive and made us feel right at home. Dinner on both nights would give any top restaurant a run for their money.....anywhere that offers seconds will get a bonus point from me. The turf fire in the drawing room along with the afternoon tea made me want to lounge around for the day!!

The location is perfect for exploring the area. Drove to Kylemore Abbey and hiked up Diamond Hill which is recommend. If you have your hiking boots Henry can recommend a couple of 4-6 hr hikes near by.

When checking out I noticed they missed off a couple of drinks from the bill. Response was "we tend to miss one or two"....nice!!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple