Hotel Minella
US$75
Priceline
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
McCarthy's Bed & Breakfast(Clonmel)(Great Value!)
US$95
US$92
All reviewsleisure centreoverlooking the riverfruit cakeon arrivaloutdoor hot tubdessert trolleyjohn and elizabethinterconnecting roomsbeeftea or coffeebeautiful hotelsunday lunchrooms are largelovely groundscooked to perfectionbar foodsoup
Reviewed April 4, 2012

A family run hotel, that has an understated luxury. Great place too stay if your looking to be treated well and to step back in time with the older parts of the house such as the bar and restaurant. Small things like silver plated antique cutlery and Wedgwood bone china crockery show the class, that this hotel has over its modern counterparts. Food was fantastic, definitely recommend the Lamb Cutlets, and a few drinks in the evening by the fire was very relaxing. For those that like the modern you get that with the bedrooms all recently updated to a good standard.

Leisure center with a great pool and gym was a 50m away from mian building but not an issue as if your looking tonusectis you won't mind he walk, those that complain of it not being in main building would be those that would shy away from exercise.

Staff very friendly all round and very good with kids, my 5 year old girl says this hotel was better than Druids Glen and you can't argue it's kids. Resident dog BoBo became a firm favourite. I would recommend this if you want a little bit of Old Irish hospitality where you are made to feel welcome rather than the standard 4* were you are just a guest.

Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed March 28, 2012

I was attending a family event in Tipperary, and a relative booked the hotel Minella for me, telling me it was the best hotel in Clonmel so I was quite excited at the prospect of staying there, and loved the look of the place from the pictures on their own website.

Unfortunately though, I didn’t think to check tripadvisor reviews before I stayed. If I had, I think I might have gone with a different option.

From the hotel’s website, I had great expectations of how pretty the hotel was going to be, and was sorely disappointed on driving into the grounds.The pretty photos are from the front of the building, and you arrive at the back! As you drive in you pass the leisure centre tucked back from the driveway first, and then you pass by what look like very inelegant extensions. I’d even go so far as to say they’re ugly – something like a school built in the 1970’s – functional but not elegant.

The parking was a bit higglety pigglety for my liking, and the drive up to the entrance is very narrow (with cars parked on both sides for most of it). So much so, that on my way in a car came against me, and I had to reverse (nervously) quite a ways back, I was terrified of bumping another car. It's a very poorly designed car park and way too tight for comfort.

With that ordeal over I was looking forward to a nice welcome and a rest. Check in was fine, just fine, nothing special, and not really what I like to see from a 4* hotel. And that’s more or less how the rest of my stay went. Ok, fine, but just fine. Nothing really special, and I couldn’t help but be disappointed. The only member of staff who seemed any way warm or friendly was a man behind the bar. Speaking of the bar, I found it, and a lot of the other spaces in the hotel, to have a dated, faded feeling to them. I took a peek down that corridor of extensions and as expected, I didn’t think it was appealing at all. Not somewhere I’d like to have a party or wedding – it felt a bit jaded and like it hadn’t been refurbished in quite some time.

Location-wise, it’s a bit removed from the town. For me it was a bit too far from the town to walk there in the evening, and I didn’t like the prospect of walking along that road in the dark, and I think that if I didn’t have a car or if it was raining, this hotel would feel a bit “trapped audience”.

The old house itself looks lovely from the outside, but the extensions don’t appeal to the eye at all. All in all it felt to me a bit like the hotel was still trading on past glories. I felt that the attentiveness was a bit lacking, and I have to say I’ve received much better service and attention in other 4* hotels. I found myself willing the place to do better, I wanted to have a good stay there, but it just never happened and I came away with a feeling of disappointment, and having been charged over the odds for a hotel that didn’t really meet its promises.

I think that if I found myself needing to say in Clonmel again, I’d stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank JoJoBlue00
Reviewed March 1, 2012

Thought that this would be a nicer hotel, but it is a bit tired, maybe its that hime of year when hotels are tired & in need our a lick of paint. Perhaps we should come back in summertime.

Room Tip: AS for River view
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Roger B
Reviewed February 29, 2012

I stayed here for one night a few weeks ago. I was quite suprised to pull up in the car park of a nice hotel to find very young unsupervised children tearing around on bikes. I was even more suprised to find one of the children run in behind the check in desk and begin to tackle and pull off a man there while I was being booked in. I felt like I was intruding in someone's house and not in a professional run hotel. From what I could gather the child/children were with the owner! I was then checked in by a lovely girl she could just about make herself heard over the noise of the child in the background. She was very nice helping to take my bags to my room and was very polite and helpfull. The room I must admit was Ok it had a lovely bed and pillows but I found the room to be quite cold. The bathroom was lovely and I really appricated the lovely big towels, on thing I hate is towles the size of a face cloth to dry your body but this hotel came out ahead in this area. However I did have a few complains one was that a few light bulbs in the room were not working, the other was that you really had to bang the door to get it to close, it was no closing properly and sticking. That night after returning from being out I became aware that the hotel operates an energy saving system on the lights in the coridors. After stepping out of the lift it was pitch black dark, I was forced to walk quite a few feet before the lights came on. I found it to be a very serious health and safety risk as it could cause you to trip over not being able to see in the dark. This is something I have never experienced in a 4* hotel. The breakfast the next morning was lovely I could not fault it other than it was very big and would leave you full for the day.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank crystalone
Reviewed February 26, 2012

found the hotel to be in a beautiful location with its own nice grounds, the staff were very helpful and polite, the hotel rooms and anti rooms were clean and tidy and well appointed, the spa could do with updating but was still pleasant to use with again helpful staff would certainly stay again

Room Tip: over looking the river
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business