Carrigeen Castle
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
TripAdvisor
All reviewsbreakfast was deliciousspiral staircaseshared bathroomthe upper floorsformer jailfirst floorold fashionedyogurtdavidirelandhistorydollshosts
Reviewed October 6, 2014

My husband and I stayed with Peig on our trip through the south of Ireland in mid September.

Our check in went smooth with Peig explaining breakfast times, the best place in the village for supper (very important note for Canadians; the Spur in town sells Tim Hortons coffee. Enough said) and where the ATM is. She explained how to use the shower in our ensuite (we don't have this set up in Canada).

There were lots of blankets, a small TV and a comfortable bed. No shortage of food for breakfast and it was served hot and quickly. The room was clean and considering it had been a jail, that added to appeal.

No problems checking out either.

I'd have no problem recommending this spot to stay to any one.

Room Tip: Book early for an ensuite.
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TignishTraveller
Reviewed September 26, 2014

My husband and I stayed here and thought it was a cool castle. It is in a convenient location near Cahir Castle and town, and we were able to walk to dinner and to Cahir Castle in the morning. The inside is traditional décor, and the bedroom was comfortable, reminding me, fondly, of my Grandmother’s house. Peig, the owner, was particular and the room was clean. Breakfast was good.

With regard to the negative reviews about Peig’s hospitality, I would recommend this place unless it is difficult for you to be tolerant of someone’s eccentricities. Her approach is old-fashioned, from a time when others showed respect, good manners, and consideration. It is good to remember that it is someone else’s house in which you are staying. She does seem to like things “just so,” which can also have its advantages. She did provide us with somewhat strong unsolicited opinions; however, this was not something that we took to heart. She was also accommodating to us. She was pleasant when, on the night of our stay, we arranged for arrival an hour or so later than the designated check in time; and she was helpful with suggestions for dinner.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LAM1025
Reviewed September 3, 2014

This was a "wouldn't it be nice to stay in a castle" nights. We arrived a little early and this is not the place to arrive early. The owner does errands and is away so there is no early check in. She did not like answering many questions like "How long have you lived here" and don't wake up early and sit in tea room. She likes a schedule. I have never been to a bed and breakfast so I wasn't sure what to expect. Other than that, it was a decent stay and the castle was charming.

Room Tip: see above.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Karen K
Reviewed August 15, 2014

Like so many reviewers, I ignored the reviews because I wanted to stay someplace really cool. Unfortunately Peg and her son's rudeness tainted what could have been the best stay in Ireland. We were greeted by Peg's son who was not friendly and quite bossy. Like we were intruding into his home. We met Peg in the morning, not a very pleasant woman. Very opinionated to the point of being rude.

I come from a culture of speaking ones mind but there is a time and place; doing it with a customer is not the time or the place. Stay somewhere else if you want to be appreciated for the money you are spending at the establishment.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank MA250
Reviewed August 10, 2014

Really glad we stayed here. We had one of the ensuite rooms and the bathroom itself was great.. much larger and lighter than in many places. The bedroom was not huge but it was characteristic of where we were staying so we were happy with that. It was decorated as you'd expect such a room to be. The breakfast room was beautiful and Mrs Butler was very keen to ensure she had given us enough to eat. Obviously loads of history attached to this place and it certainly added to our Ireland experience.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple