“Nice Hotel but Terrible Dinner”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Esplanade Hotel

Esplanade Hotel
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Bray
Dublin, Ireland
“Nice Hotel but Terrible Dinner”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

Like the reviewer before me, we also stayed at the esplanade instead of the Ramada. Hotel was very welcoming. Room was very nice with two large double beds and was in the new wing.
Bar was nice and cosy, no great shapes but was inviting especially with the open fire.
Only complaint I have was that the evening meal was Terrible.
Had soup to start which was fine, but the mains (I had the pork loin which was a couple of tasteless chops and my wife had the half chicken which was dry as a bone) both mains and the mash where somoothered in a horrible gravey. Deserts where cheap bought in ready made.
We laughed it off as the rest of the deal was good value and ended up going out to a take away afterwards for some fish and chips.
I had especially asked for a room away from the function room and lo and behold when we went up to our room at midnight, we discoverd that we where close to above it and had to endure another 45 minutes of blaring sounds of the seventy's before it eventually finished.
Breakfast the following morning was the usual open buffet that most hotels provide and was much better than the evening meal (which was not hard to achieve in all fairness)
Location was brilliant, right on the beach front and we did enjoy our stay despite the bad meal, which was a pity.
Would advise people if they are going to book only for bed and dreakfast.

Room Tip: Rooms in the new wing where very large and spacious, but if you want a quite night ensure you get on...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Hoopmans
HelenRamadaBray, Public Relations Manager at Esplanade Hotel, responded to this review, 25 November 2011
Hello, I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your dinner when you stayed at the Esplanade Hotel, Bray and I have passed your comments along to the managment team to ensure cleaning standards are being met and to note your comments on dinner. I am pleased the breakfast was much better.

Bray, Co Wicklow

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

Stayed in the Esplanade last night as we had a city deal voucher for the the Ramada, her sister hotel, but they had problems and rang me with the very nice offer of moving me.Ive often passed the hotel when on the usual day trip to Bray and often said we would stay sometime. So....got the chance this weekend. I found the olde world charm of the Esplanade, (which could do with a bit of upgrading and maintenance in places), very inviting, warm and charming. Great location also....just walk out the door and the sea is across the road. I loved the victorian building and the way it has been kept that way. The room was lovely and clean and the bed very comfy. The staff are very friendly and I found that they took time to stop and chat on the corridors, in the reception and the restaurant.
The food was exceptional, very normal no frills food, and very plentiful (thought id burst). But I have to mention the breakfast. Weve been to a few hotels and I have ot say the breakfast once the best one so far. All buffet and kept well by the waitresses constantly. None of the food was dry (which is the usual with buffet breakfast) and it was all very fresh.
All in all I felt like I came out of my house and straight into it again and will definalty stay again in the new year.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review on your recent stay at the Esplanade Hotel, Bray. I am pleased you enjoyed our great location, good food and friendly staff. I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed the comfort of the hotel and I hope we get to see you again in the near future.

Omagh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2011

I thoroughly enjoyed our stay in you hotel last weekend.
The only negative feedback is the residents lounge had an absolutely foul smell in it. Also there is very little to offer when 'lugging' suitcases about as there are quite alot of steps.
Definitely unsuitable for anyone with a disability.
Other than that the staff were excellent and most helpful at all times.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Triona W
Thank you for adding your review on your recent stay at the Esplanade Hotel, Bray. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay and finally got to stay with us. I will pass on your good comments to all the team here and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind regards

Best western Esplanade Hotel
Enniskillen, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2011

i am currently on my last night of a two night stay and although the staff are really nice and the food delicious i am v disappointed with our room. i asked for a sea view and got a room at the back with a view of the car park and to add insult to injury the room is above a function room and for two nights i have had to endure the pounding noise of music when i am trying to sleep. i was really looking forward to this break but i dont think i will be coming back in a hurry. also the wedding party took over the bar area leaving very little room for hotel guests .

Room Tip: if you are hoping for a sea view like i was phone to insure you get one and you wont be disappointed...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank monicalunny
HelenRamadaBray, Public Relations Manager at Esplanade Hotel, responded to this review, 6 November 2011
Hello, I am sorry and disappointed you did not enjoy your recent stay at the Esplanade Hotel and would ask you to contact us directly to further discuss your comments as we would certainly not have wanted you to experience such a disappointing stay. I will certainly pass on to the department heads to consider the allocation requests as we do usually do our best to accommodate such requests. I hope we hear from you soon.

Bray Co Wicklow

Travellers are raving about these Bray hotels

Kilkenny, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2011

After finishing up some bussines in Dublin and planning to attend another function in Dublin on Saturday we decided to take the kid's to sealife and spend Friday night in the above mentioned hotel. At check in was greeted by very friendly and helpful staff that informed me our room wasn't yet ready,but problem was solved momentarily and we were given an alternative room.As night fell ,with kid's very tired after travelling from Kilkenny and being on the go the whole day, all the noise started.We were on the same floor as foreign students which made such a raquet that I had to phone and complain about it. The noise woke both my toddlers that was sleeping!Then the music started,our room was in close proximity of the night club and when I went to reception,they informed me that the music will stop at 10pm.The music did stop at 10 but the student'skept on partying untill 1:30 am at which time our kids only got back to sleep.Needless to say our next day function had to end early and abrupt as our kids were to tired to attend. We travel a lot and this is the first time that I truly feel that I wasted time and money by supporting this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Hello, I am very sorry you did not enjoy your recent stay at Esplanade Hotel, Bray and would ask you to contact us directly as we would like to discuss the points you raised, I am very sorry for any inconvenience caused to you and your family.

Bray Co Wicklow
Oldham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2011

This was a nice hotel but our stay was ruined by other guests. The hotel was full of young students who ran riot all over the hotel. The noise was terrible all though the night we could not get any sleep. We did complain to the night porter but nothing was done. Three nights of HELL

Room Tip: Try a totally different hotel
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
HelenRamadaBray, Public Relations Manager at Esplanade Hotel, responded to this review, 16 October 2011
Hello,

I am very sorry to hear your stay was disappointing and would ask you to contact the hotel directly so we can address this directly with you. Our sincere apologies that other guests of the hotel disturbed your stay. We would certainly do our best at all times to ensure such events do not occur. I hope we here from you shortly.

Belfast, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2011

Had read reviews on this hotel and most seemed encouraging, but a room without a view was mentioned several times. I forgot which room it was, but when we checked in I found out which one it was. Room 305. Looking straight into a slate roof 3 feet from the window, with a draiange system full of cigarette butts, condom box, crisp bags, empty water bottle right outside our window. Hotel was full of foreign noisy students which also took the edge off our experience. Avoid rooms 301,303.305,and 307

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bill2404
HelenRamadaBray, Public Relations Manager at Esplanade Hotel, responded to this review, 10 October 2011
Hello, I do apologise that your room had such a disappointing view and have asked housekeeping to look at cleaning the area outside the window. It is unfortunate that the group of other guests affected your stay also as this is certainly not the experience we would have wished for you. We would ask any guests not happy with their room to advise as soon as possible as where possible we would always try to sort out any problem or offer an alternative room.

Our sincere apologies that your stay was not entirely pleasent please feel to contact our General Manager who will respond in person about your comments above.

BW Esplanade Hotel
Bray
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bray
0.4 km away
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
#1 of 2 in Newtown Mount Kennedy
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,931 reviews

Been to Esplanade Hotel? Share your experiences!