New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Barberstown Castle

Barberstown Castle
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Straffan
USA
“A brief but idyllic interlude in the Irish countryside”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

We stayed one night at Barberstown Castle as part of a wedding party. The hotel had several wings. We did not have time to explore the entire hotel, but the parts we saw were well-maintained and clean. The foyer was large and spacious. We found the reception staff to be very attentive. Our room was off a spacious corridor that lay to the left of the reception desk. We were given a large old fashioned key for our room. Though we only had a small suitcase, the receptionist summoned a bell hop (he said he was from the Czech Republic) to take it to our room. The room was large and comfortably furnished in faux period decor - large four poster bed with canopy, porcelain bathroom fixtures with stencilling, heavy curtains, a large, roomy armoire with doors and drawers that were hard to open, and a nice-sized writing desk in one corner of the room. In another corner, there was a flat screen TV!

The hotel had advertised free Wi-Fi in the rooms and on the property. In order to activate the WiFi, we had to obtain a password from the front desk. This turned out to be more difficult than we anticipated. Eventually, the receptionist flagged down a passing manager (later, we learned that he had been rushing off to organize the wedding reception) who helped us set it up. With the Wi-Fi in place, we were able to enjoy our surroundings. The word 'Castle' conjures up images of moats, keeps, dungeons. We found none of this in Barberstown Castle (though perhaps they were there and we did not see them !). The ambiance was that of a Victorian or Edwardian manor house.

To attend the reception, we had to go out of the front door of the hotel and follow signs to the banquet hall, a short distance away. The walk was very pleasant since it was a sunny day (we probably would have viewed it differently if it had been raining). The banqut hall seemed to be the older part of the castle - stone floors and a bar area that could have been a dungeon. The wedding reception was a wonderful event that went on late into the night.

The next morning, we had FIBs (Full Irish Breakfast - eggs, bacon, sausage, black pudding, white pudding, fried tomatos, baked beans, hot buttered toast) in the hotel dining rooms. To get there, we had to leave the spacious foyer and walk through narrow corridors. The dining rooms were not as sumptuous as the banquet hall but there were long tables heaped with plates of fruit, breads, cheeses, etc. The sight of the FIBs - made to order and brought to our table - brought on fleeting (very!) pangs of guilt about the cholesterol-laden fare; then we rationalized that FIBs are an essential part of the Irish wedding experience, and savoured them with great enjoyment.

The weather was splendid that morning. We caught a glimpse of the beatiful gardens and ground and would have loved to linger on. But, alas, we had to return to Dublin.Maybe, next time, we'll stay for a longer period and explore the Castle and the surrounding area.

Room Tip: Please ask for one of the larger renovated rooms.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

We attended a wedding at Barberstown Castle recently. I was very impressed with the hotel. The room was very nice, with plenty of space and a large four poster bed. The wedding reception itself was very well laid out and the food was extremely good. Most of all we were very impressed with the staff, they were extremely courteous and did everything they could to make our stay comfortable. I must add that the location is superb, close to Dublin yet Straffan has a country village feel.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Tipperary, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2011

We stayed in the hotel old rooms. Staff cordial but not overly helpful on arrival. Next morning the problems started! No hot Water, plumber or staff member did not show up to room to assist after telephone calls to reception. Arrived 10 mins late for breakfast as a result of waiting for assistance with water and refused to serve us even though we explained situation, restaurant manager extremely rude and practically frog marched us out of dining room. No interest at reception when we again made our complaint and asked for assistance with acquiring a breakfast. Left feeling furious with attitude of staff. Management need to check out top ten requirements of a customer staying in hotel! I know Hot Water and Breakfast are right up there in requirements! Will not be back. Real pity as the food at wedding reception was particularly good for a wedding breakfast specially the soup! Staff little too fast at removing plates

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank r0seBud25
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2011

I have gone to few events in Barberstown over the years, I was always very impressed by the food, rooms and service. So much so that my wife and I decided to have our wedding reception there. Considering we live in London and my wife is from Yorkshire it should have been a hard sell to my parents in law. Turns out they fell in love with the place as soon as they came through the gates, and if you can impress my mother in law you must be doing something right!

The reception was great night. Gretchen organised everything, from the cake, to photographer, she is a star. The food was perfect and there was lots of it, considering there was a high proportion of rowers and rugby players, no one went hungry! The staff, as always, were great, even when I managed to knock a bunch candles over and cover myself in wax they whisked my jacket off and came back 5 minutes later with it miraculously cleaned. The reception room was ideal for what we wanted. We only had 130 guests, but the room could happily cope with double. The majority of our guests came from overseas and they loved the hotel, particularly the Americans. The party went on till late, there are pianos littered all over the hotel, so there was obligatory sing songs as well. Overall I could not have chosen a better venue for our wedding reception. There are cheaper venues out there, but you get what you pay for – and Barberstown Castle is excellent.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank James C
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2011

I have never stayed in Barberstown as I love locally, but have eaten here on many occasions.
The food is always cooked to perfection, it is a little pricey but the quality of the food always reflects this. Also, each time I have been there they have always brought out complimentary tasters from the chef, which I think is a nice touch, and a chance to try something a little different.
My only hesitation with Barberstown is the price of alcohol. We had a glass of wine in the bar before out meal, and when we got the bill they were €10.50 a glass, I actually think it is a disgrace to charge this price for a glass of wine.
I will return here for dinner but I will be think twice about getting a drink before or after my meal here.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

I stayed here a few years ago for a work Christmas party. We had our dinner in the dungeon room, it was amazing! The food was superb and the accommodation was lovely.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2011

We stayed here for a wedding recently and while we enjoyed our overnight trip there were a few things that bothered me. The wedding reception was great fun but I thought the function room left a lot to be desired, the acoustics were terrible, I couldn't hear anyone talking bar the folks to my immediate left and right. It is a huge room and there were a lot of people at the wedding but I would expect to be able to hear the speeches, conversations at my table etc. The wooden floors in the function room area were very difficult/slippy to walk on in heels and almost every lady I spoke to commented on it, we were all nervous about falling. The food at the reception was pretty average but, to be honest, wedding food doesn't make much of a difference to me, I'm more interested in having a fun day. The soup was delicious though!

Our room was very fancy looking, it was in the old part of the hotel, we were very pleased with the decor but a quick lie on the bed established the mattress as quite old and springy. We had a good bit to drink that day so we still slept through the night but it's definitely something that would have bothered me had I been sober. For the amount of money the room cost I would have expected a few more mod-cons in the room, a teeny tiny television and no mini-bar just doesn't cut it at these prices. We also discovered very early in the morning that our room was right over the breakfast dining area, there was no hope of us having a lie-in so we got up and went for breakfast, which was really lovely, apart from in the insanely salty bacon/rashers, there was enough on the plate for me to omit eating them altogether though.

Any staff we encountered were pretty pleasant but didn't go out of their way to make it feel like a top class hotel. All told, I don't feel this hotel is worth the money you pay(even with the reduced rate for wedding parties), it is a nice place and staying in a castle does have it's charms but there are so many things they could improve on. I've also noticed that no-one from Barberstown Castle has taken the time to respond to the negative reviews here on tripadvisor, I think this is a huge oversight on their part and would make me seriously consider visiting somewhere if this is their approach to customer service.

Room Tip: Be sure to check where your room is located, if you're over the breakfast dining area expect an...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Straffan
The K Club
Osprey Hotel & Spa
Lawlors Hotel
Lawlors Hotel
#1 of 5 in Naas

Been to Barberstown Castle? Share your experiences!