“Avoid!”

County Arms Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Birr
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Stayed here at the end of August last year on what was a memorable stay for all the wrong reasons. Having enjoyed a week in Dublin, we checked in early on a Friday afternoon and made our way to the room. The room, with its outdated decor, was not very clean to say the least. The bathroom was decorated with discolored tiling, spots of mildew and smelt of moldy sports gear. We were given a different room upon speaking with reception and were shown to a room where the TV didn't work properly and there was no milk or towels. Another call to reception! We were relieved to be out off the first room, and due to tiredness we decided to stay in the hotel and have dinner rather than venture out straight away. Big mistake! A really simple pasta dish shouldn't be so hard to get right but there was all the sophistication of a cheap and nasty student canteen about this particular meal. Waiting staff were distracted and generally absent. We waited for 45 mins for our main course. It was a meal I could have prepared in the kettle in the room!

I would suggest checking out Lough Boora & Birr on a day trip from Dublin maybe because our stay here put a real damper on what was an otherwise great trip. Birr is a nice little town in the summer. Bad food and bad service is just unacceptable for this price and can really ruin your stay!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank bkyNewYork

Reviewed 5 March 2012

This is a nice modern hotel which manages to maintain some of its old features. I stayed here recently with a friend of mine, we got a lovely room, however there were two things missing from it, a phone, a bin and the UHT milk was out of date. The room was also quite cold, but the receptionist had told us about this when we were checking in. We ate in the bar and the food was nice. It was very busy there, and they coud have done with some extra staff but all in all we enjoyed dinner. The breakfast the following morning was very good and there was a good choice of food options. Overall a nice stay but if some basic things were included it would have made improved the stay further.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I've eaten in the restaurant with a relative. We found the staff very slow, careless and gave the impression that they'd prefer you weren't there. The food when it arrived, carelessly slung on the table was ok but very overpriced.
I spoke to staff about booking a function and found them fine, but while discussing the same with a manager or assistant manager, I found him to be one of the rudest individuals I've ever dealt with. We held our function elsewhere and were much happier.
Avoid if possible.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank TResa408
Reviewed 24 February 2012

The staff at the County Arms hotel were very friendly and accommodating. I have a dairy allergy and they were very helpful in providing alternative milk.
The facilities in the leisure centre are also great!
The hotel is very easy to find and is in walking distance to local amenities and sites!

Reviewed 23 February 2012

Again another brilliant stay at the County Arms hotel. Third visit down to Birr, Co. Offaly with my fianceé. Staff as usual were amazing. From the moment I walked into the hotel it felt like a home away from home.
Rooms was excellent and having stayed in both of their master suites on previous visits for a weekend treat away it is an experience I would highly recommend. Staff went above what you would expect to make our stay amazing.
Same staff working there on the three years I have been there which in itself speaks a lot about the hotel. Family run and that comes across when you visit, you can see the pride their have in their hotel and the personal touch is amazing.
Now to another very important part, food in the restaurant and the breakfast was excellent yet again. Bar in the hotel is great, very lively and friendly atmosphere and drink was very reasonably priced. Again bar staff were excellent.
Tommy Tiernan was there for a comedy show this time around and he added to an already very enjoyable and relaxing weekend. To cap it off was given the option for a late checkout at no charge which was a lovely gesture for a memorable weekend away with my Fianceé. One hotel I would definitely recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Master Suites for that extra special trip. Deluxe rooms overlooking the garden are also amazing
2  Thank ColinKirrane
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Apologies it has taken me awhile to add my review but looking at a few reviews thought I would let you all know about my experience at the County Arms. I had my wedding reception at the County in August 2011. From start to finish I was so impressed and no task was to small for the county. We had alot of guests staying at the hotel and they were highly impressed and still today speak highly of the hotel. Please dont let the very few negative comments put you off the county as this hotel is really highly recommended and you wont be dissapointed.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I recently stayed at the County Arms Hotel for a short break with my boyfriend. We were really looking forward to a weekend away as we had been sick with flu for a week.
On arrival we were greeted by very friendly staff at reception and must complement the excellent customer service at Reception for the duration of our stay,
When we arrived at our room, it was nice but basic with a very small double bed. The corridors in this hotel had the feeling of a retirement home...
We used the Spa Facilities and Leisure Club during our stay and both where very good and when we went up to the old part of the house it was really charming... they should really use this space as much as possible...
What was sooo disappointing was the food. Poor, over seasoned and poor presentation. On arrival we ordered Chowder, which was liquidised with no pieces of fish and tasted of nothing but salt. Horrible is the only word I could use to describe it. We then choose to eat in the Bar / Restaurant that night and again had basic untasty food. We both ordered Chicken for Main Course, which was supposed to be served with a cream sauce and leeks. It was out on a bed of Green Beans and Sweetcorn with gravy.
Breakfast was good, but the staff member that served us both mornings was too busy chatting on her mobile to be bothered to see to her customers.
Overall, a disappointing stay due to the food.

5  Thank Lorriz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birr
0.7 km away
Tullamore Court Hotel
#2 of 3 in Tullamore
31.6 km away
Great National Abbey Court Hotel & Spa

Been to County Arms Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!