All reviews family room a family run hotel birr castle bar food bunk beds lovely hotel family break next morning friends wedding little things couldn't do enough would highly recommend this hotel saturday night keep up the good work second to none steam room from start to finish
Reviewed September 19, 2017

We were greeted by very friendly receptionist, and staff in Bar were very friendly and helpful. Both my friend and I really enjoyed our stay. Dinner was served in Bar but that was fine as we were seated away from main bar and given Dining Room Menu which Will definitely return to County Arms for longer visit,!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Marymc05
Reviewed September 13, 2017 via mobile

Having had a short meeting in the very pleasant lobby I headed to the bar for a bite to eat before a long journey home.
At the bar counter I was handed a menu which comprised of a single, loose sheet of A4 paper by a friendly staff member.
Having considered the drab, uninspiring menu choices I opted for the Roast Striploin of Beef which I figured was a safe bet. The food, which arrived promptly, was as dull as the menu it was chosen from. The beef itself was ok but was coated in a gloopy peppercorn sauce which owed more to Knorr for it's existence as the chef who prepared it. Accompanying it was a bowl of carrots and mange tout which, going by appearance and taste, had been cooked many hours earlier and had long lost any nutritional value.
Service staff were pleasant but clearly not trained - one young lady passed a number of dirty tables (including my own) several times on her way back to the kitchen with empty hands.
The Gents toilets were clean but had the appearance more of train station facilities with cheap formica/chipboard partitions between the cubicles.
All in all, this hotel has huge potential but falls well below what would reasonably be expected for a 4* property. Management and Head Chef need to try harder and perhaps go on a few field trips to see how 4* should be done.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed September 9, 2017

This is one of those hotels which leave me wishing that Tripadvisor offered a "Good" button. Average seems rather harsh suggesting a lacklustre establishment, but Very Good would be too much. Excellent to me suggests something really special or staff that have truly gone the extra mile. So, this is in our opinion a pleasant place to overnight after a visit to the famous Birr Gardens. Driving towards a lovely old house which houses the reception, much of the building is a modern add on. The only niggles were that our otherwise clean rather dated room (comfortable beds, plenty of hot water and water pressure in bathroom) opened out onto a flat room where a fan/ac unit whirred away so it was not possible really to have the windows open. I don't think the hotel was full so was rather disappointed and should have requested a move but we had unpacked before I opened the window.
The other slight disappointment was to be told that despite our understanding that our booking included a dinner in their restaurant, we were informed on checking in that the restaurant was closed and we would be served a bar meal. Feeling somewhat disgruntled we arrived in the bar to find a good atmosphere and an absolutely charming waitress (unfortunately I didn't get her name) and actually had a lovely evening. The food was simple but good.
There is a very pleasant garden behind the hotel, it was a shame the weather did not encourage us to linger.
My husband used the swimming pool and once he had got over being asked to enclose his almost bald head in a borrowed rubber cap enjoyed the facility.

Room Tip: Stay away from the flat roof - one over the garden would be much quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HonestHospitality17
Reviewed September 8, 2017 via mobile

Visited hotel with family a few weeks ago. Yvonne and Shauns wedding was a fantastic celebration. Over 300 guests and so I didn't have much expectation on food but it was a fantastic meal and everything to the highest standard. Service was amazing (waitress who served us on Table 19 also served our breakfast the following morning and then proceeded to work the bar after that- didnt get her name but she was fantastic) and the bar girl in the hotel main bar. - name beginning with a C? She was fantastic too!
Thank u all at the Hotel for a fab stay. Will recommend to friends!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank JosephCarlinis
Reviewed September 6, 2017 via mobile

had a lovely time in this hotel the bar is lovely are rooms were nice and big the pool is a nice size the kids enjoyed themselves and the garden is loving would go back to this hotel the next time we are down in birr

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family