All reviews family room a family run hotel birr castle bunk beds bar food lovely hotel family break next morning little things friends wedding couldn't do enough saturday night keep up the good work steam room second to none from start to finish full irish
Reviewed October 15, 2017

This is a perfect venue for a reunion wonderful value with celebration dinner room and breakfast all included
Lunch in the bar is great value and delicious
The spa and pool provide the ideal spot to recuperate

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Jyurky
Reviewed October 8, 2017 via mobile

A great day had by all! From when we walked in till we left. I couldn’t fault the venue. The decor was modern and clean and fashionable.
The staff where always nice and polite

and helpful. This was evident with the older or less able guests they were brought tea and refreshments during the band interval. The staff did not have to be asked they just did it!!
The food was great,kudos to the chef and the kitchen staff. It was well cooked in every aspect. Not overly complicated or over cooked. There was plenty of food before the meal during the meal and after.
The music provided was excellent and got the crowd moving on the floor.
The only fault would be our own organisation as we did make arrangements to stay or get a lift home. I am sure the extra expense would be worth the sore legs from dancing or the sore head from over indulgence. Especially since we do not realise we knew so many at the wedding.

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank dermotk81
Reviewed October 5, 2017

Stayed in this hotel recently for a wedding locally. Hotel very clean and staff were terrific. Breakfast was excellent, relaxed and great service.
Bedroom and bathroom was clean and well equipped. However, bed was terrible. Bed was lumpy and uncomfortable. One person turning over in bed woke up their partner as bed was so noisy. Both got no sleep. Not acceptable today.
Asked for quite room but put in room on first floor at back of hotel close to patio area. Could hear staff or customers from pub moving furniture around till 2.30 am.
Complained at reception when checking out and receptionist was very attentive and sympathetic. She promised to get manager to phone me the following day and I was quite happy to discuss it with manager.
However, manager did not phone so I decided to put my experience on this forum.

Room tip: Do not choice a room on first floor at back of hotel. Check bed before accepting room
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed October 2, 2017

Can't compliment the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff enough. From the easy check in and check out, to the helpful woman in the leisure center and the staff in the restaurant. However the hotel could itself could do with a little TLC. The outside grounds and lobby are pristine, however our room was quite grubby stains on the curtains and beside locker and chairs in the room, and I am normally ok with this but not when I am paying for a 4 star hotel (This was budget hotel standards), and it was not cheap. The food is the restaurant was fine but again not 4 star, I got a mushroom risotto and I had to dig through a cm of cheese to get to the the food. We used the leisure center and it is nice but it too could do with some modernizing and a lick of paint, it is very clean though. If I am being honest at the price we paid, if I was to stay in Birr I would look for somewhere else to stay. Also not the hotels fault but at 2am people from the wedding in the hotel decided it would be ok to have great fun, chatting and laughing right outside my room, I did ask them would it be ok for them to go into their room but they were not too happy about this, just to be aware if sleep is really important or you have small children, again this is not the hotels fault. So all this said it is too pricey for the quality of the hotel, the staff are the best part.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed September 21, 2017

We held a lunch in one of their private rooms and it was absolutely awful.

There was no ambiance in the room- could of had background music, some decoration etc.

They just flung together tables.

The staff were a whole other level of rude and really were not pleased to be there.

Jane in particular.

The food is also very mediocre.

They really need to work on their staff, menus and atmosphere as it has really gone downhill.

Room tip: Don't waste your time eating here, waste of money
  • Trip type: Travelled with family