“reall nice stay”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Enniskerry
DUBLIN
“reall nice stay”
Reviewed 5 April 2009

stayed for two nights ,what a fab location ,great staff,rooms ,spa area all top class and up there with some of the best in the world .Had dinner in gordon ramsey very nice, excellent pace and very high standard, checkout very swift by ciarian a very plesant guy from wales top marks to the hotel .

1 Thank alzo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
  • Polish first
Toronto
Reviewed 28 March 2009

We stayed at this hotel because of a wedding we were attending and the fact it was a new Ritz Carlton!! First off, this is a lovely hotel but needs more things to do and service needs major improving! Lets start off with the positives:
1) the wedding: a fantastic venue, a spacious ballroom with excellant food for the event.
2) Gordon Ramsay: a wonderful dinner, went here twice! It was just fantastic both times. Service was ok but the beautiful dining room and outstanding food made up for it! Breakfast was ok but buffet and kept rather cold we went down (at 10am).
3) ESPA: one of the best spas I have been to. Great service and fantastic treatments. I had a facial, 60 minute Aromatherapy Massage and Balinese Massage as well. The swimming pool and relaxation room facilities (tropical and arctic pools) are just great!!!!
4) Lastly, the Powerscourt Golf Club with two 18 hole courses were great. We played each once and while thorougly enjoyed both, preferred the newer West Course to the East.

Now, the negatives. We stayed here for one week. There is nothing to do after Spa treatments and golf! The food in McCabe's Pub and Sugar Bar are extremely overpriced! The Afternoon Tea in Lobby Lounge is decent but I have had much better for 50 Euros per person. The service in this hotel was awful. From front desk to Concierge and housekeeping. Room service always took forever. The room itself while pretty and new and spacious, had major water issues in the bathroom and window leakage.

Would never go back unless family event held at the hotel.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
5 Thank RitzCarltonfan
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 22 March 2009

I rely heavily on Tripadvisor reviews when booking trips myself so will try to give an accurate and objective view of our stay which might help others when looking at this hotel.

Check-in:
Friendly bellboy opened the car door for us and helped with all the luggage which we found very efficient. We arrived just after the specified check-in time excited to see our room and explore the hotel, however our room was not yet ready, the lady at reception coldly "told" us to wait in the sugarloaf lounge and she would phone us when the room would be ready - we thought it was quiet strange that no offer of a complementary coffee / drink was offered while we waited - no big deal, but just odd for a 5 star.

20 minutes later we got a call and proceeded to pick up our room keys from reception, a very nice employee walked us to our room and explained the hotel layout (otherwise confusing), our room controls (digital touch-pads built into the walls) and the hotel dining options. Our bags where waiting for us in our room.

Room:
We had a garden view suite which was huge, massive comfy beds, walk in closet, beautiful white marble bathrooms and loads of gadgets to toy around with. The color scheme was a light green which to us looked dated even though the hotel is only 2-3 years old, I think the industry term is "classic luxury" rather than modern and chic - this style is repeated though out the hotel. Some joker had set our bedside alarm to go off a 6am on a Sunday morning - should of been checked & reset when the room was cleaned.

Food:
We found food and drinks to be extremely overpriced throughout the hotel, I know its a 5 star and going to be expensive but at 6 euro for a bottle of Heineken - we found this to be a complete a bit much.

The Irish themed bar had friendly & very professional staff and good atmosphere. The menu here is virtually identical to that of the sugarloaf lounge menu (we had both side-by-side) but everything is 3-6 euro less expensive for the same items.

In room dining is crazy, 350 EUR for breakfast for two people in the room with a tiny bottle of generic champagne - absolutely over the top. Luckily we breakfast included with our stay, this is buffet style only in the Gordon Ramsey restaurant. Personally I found the selection excellent and the quality of the food to be very high, my wife asked if the chef could prepare eggs benedict was informed the chef was busy and this would cost extra to prepare (server was not sure of how much extra so we gave it a miss).

Leisure:
The pool and sauna / steam room was world class, very relaxing, nice stone floors and walls with great power showers. The jacuzzi has a series of mental pipes arranged in the shape of a recliner on which you lye back on and though which very fine air bubbles are emitted - simply superb!

The gym is basic with 4 treadmills, some weights machines and a few exercise bikes - nothing extravagant, but all I needed for a morning workout. Not sure how they justify the 4500 euro a year membership fee though. One note here, the in room guest information booklet states the gym is open 24 hours, however it actually does not open until 7 am - probably not a major issue however for most people.

Checkout:
This was the low point of our stay as the lady at reception tried to charge us 30 euro for an extra breakfast that morning (my wife's cousin was staying with us). We had booked a suite for 3 people on their website and selected a package which included breakfast - despite specifying that 3 people where staying it seems the rate they show only includes breakfast for 2 people but this is not specified anywhere nor where we informed at the hotel / at breakfast - how people are supposed to know this is still a mystery. When we disputed this charge we where coldly informed that this is their policy and we must pay immediately, I then had to demand to see a manager, explained the situation again but she did not want to hear it. When I told her objectively that I was going to refuse to pay the extra change because we where never informed in advance and certainly would not have paid such a rip-off price for a single breakfast did she concede and remove the charge and disappeared back to her office without any word of explication. By this stage all other staff had stopped helping other clients checkout and where looking at us, motionless - not very comfortable and made us feel like we where somehow trying to cheat the hotel when they where trying to cheat us.

Overall the building is very beautiful, staff are helpful, great spa and the rooms where comfortable, we probably won't go back though as we have found equally great hotels offering much better value for money - and have up front pricing.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank wicklowrover
Dublin
Reviewed 22 March 2009

I booked a Garden Deluxe Room at the Ritz Carlton, Powerscourt, Enniskerry, County Wicklow, Ireland as a surprise birthday present for my husband. I booked one night and also a table at Gordon Ramsay. This was a one off for us and I wanted my husband to have a well deserved treat for his special day. We arrived and found the service to be impeccable. The staff were friendly, professional and not snobbish at all. We were made to feel very welcome. Our porter was very informative, accompanied us to our room and explained all the room gadgets to us very well. I could not fault him at all. Our room was great, very luxurious, calming and a beautiful view overlooking the fountain and hotel gardens. We were also lucky to have the weather on our side. We were hoping to have a light refreshment in the room before dining in Gordon Ramsay, however, slightly disappointed that there was nothing complimentary at all in our room. Not even a welcoming tea or coffee, and breakfast was not included. By our standards, the refreshments in the Honour Bar were over priced.

We went down to McGills Bar, the authentic Irish Bar in the hotel, to enjoy the Wales V Ireland match. Me being of Welsh descent and originally from England supported my side as best as I could, and my Husband being Scottish supported me with gusto. The bar staff were very friendly and welcoming, however the punters were not. We felt extremely unwelcome and were made to feel so. In particular one middle aged Irish couple kept making anti-English references behind us, in earshot. Rather than healthy competition and banter, we found the Irish supporters in our area very aggressive, rude and making sure we heard we were not welcome, to the extent that I stopped enjoying the whole game and wanted to get out of there as quidkly as possible before it spoilt our whole night. Fortunately our table was ready at 7 and we made an exit. Not an atmosphere I would ever like to experience again, and not the sort of behaviour I would expect from guests of The Ritz. My husband and I live locally in Bray and I embarrassed to think that any foreign guest would be treated like that when trying to enjoy their stay.

We dined in Gordon Ramsay and the whole experience was second to none. Fantastic. We had a wonderful table next to the floor to ceiling window, the Somelier was very knowledgable and attentive as were all the other staff. A slight downside for us was that they were overly attentive, too much for us really. They even offered to accompany my husband to the Gents toilets......relieved though that they did not ask to "wipe the Royal bottom Sir?"

As were were only one couple out of a total of six customers at this point in time, we found they watched our every move, scrutinising everything. When my husband reached for the wine they were over like a shot to serve it for him.

The food was great, delicious as expected it even exceeded our expectations. My husband had the scallops to start followed by the loin of Wicklow beef. I had the red pepper risotto with goats cheese, followed by the Wicklow Venison. Each dish was explained in detail. To finish off for the night we had Coffee Infusion with Petits Fours - very decadent.

I was looking forward to returning to the room as an extra gift I had arranged for a Romantic Turndown. Sadly when we got into our room after 9pm it had not been done and I was bitterly disappointed. I went to Reception who apologised profusely and took the extra cost of the turndown off the bill. With all credit to them, they did ask if I wanted anything complimentary added to the room, but I declined as I felt nothing could compensate for what I had been expecting as an added gift for my husband.

Overall, we did have a wonderful stay and experience, one we sadly won't be able to repeat that often. It was well worth the surprise and because of this I can forgive some of the disappointments.

2 Thank DianeDublin
dublin
Reviewed 12 March 2009

I've read mixed reviews about this hotel and was worried whether our stay would be hassle free and I'm glad to report it was. This hotels 5 stars are well earned.
Arrival:
The reception staff were very professional, discreet and attentive without being overbearing. We were shown to our room by a bell boy/ porter who tried to leave before I could give him a tip.
The Room:
Our room was on the 6th Floor and was wonderful. It ticked all of the boxes. The view of the Sugar Loaf mountain was very nice. The Balcony/ Terrace was perfect for smoking. They even provided matches. Everything in the room worked as expected.

The Food:
What can I say, it was superb. It was also expensive but we knew it was going to be. The wine was a bit over-priced but we also knew that would be. The cheapest bottle of wine is circa €55. WARNING: They offer you bottled water & champagne on arrival in the restaurant, it is not FREE.
The Gordon Ramsey experience is what we went for. Well worth it. The staff were very professional, very impressive.

The Spa:
Brilliant. The best pool & hot tub ever. The sauna/ steam room were also excellent.
The pool is around 4.5 feet deep thru-out. We didn't use any other spa facilities but did notice they were expensive. But if they are good as everything else then it's probably worth it.

Breakfast:
What can I say, I had 5 courses,
A Fry, Yogurt, Fish, Fruit, Bread.....etc, etc.... You could eat as much as you wanted thus the price. The selection was the best I've ever seen.

Check-out:
Smooth.

Bad Things:
The air con in the room only goes from 19o.
The internet is not free.
Tips;
The free bottled water was left on our bed-side with turn down. Bring your own water and snacks etc...We brought our own wine for our room.

Overall: Expensive but worth it.

1 Thank dublin_gary
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 27 February 2009

Stayed here on a recent Friday night as a belated Valentine's surprise for my wife. Location and views are excellent as are the oversize rooms and service. Check in was prompt, polite and efficient. Upgraded to a corner suite with garden views. In-room facilities were excellent especially the TV recessed into the bathroom mirror - I think it took my wife the combined duration of Emmerdale, Coronation Street and Eastenders to apply the make-up!! Glad rags duly donned, we headed for Restaurant Gordon Ramsay for a sumptuous 2.5 hour dining experience. Not cheap overall, but well worth it and only a short drive from Dublin - we will be back!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank quechyquat
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 27 February 2009

My husband and I just returned from a 6 night stay in Ireland. We stayed at the Dromoland Castle in Co. Clare, The Kingsley in Cork City, and the Ritz Carlton Powerscourt in Wicklow. We found the ritz to be snobbish, and not very accomodating. They do not even let you use the internet in the hotel for free. You have to pay. Also, we ate a at the restaurant, and the food was not good, and very over priced. They seem like they are trying too hard. The staff tries to be helpful, but in a very forced, over the top way that makes you feel uncomfortable. On the flip side, our room had a balcony facing the mountains and it was beautiful, the room was very nice, with a TV in the mirror in the bathroom. Very fancy. As for our other 2 hotels, they were fabulous! Dromoland feels like a fairytale and The Kingsley is they ultimate in casual luxury.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JNPhillips
Also consider these accommodations in or near Enniskerry
12.4 km away
6.0 km away
Glenview Hotel
Glenview Hotel
#1 of 1 in Glen Of The Downs

Been to Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!