“great place in the center of Doolin!”
Review of The Lodge, Doolin

The Lodge, Doolin
Ranked #29 of 56 Doolin B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 September 2016

Stayed in Doolin for a week and when my original reservation ran out Niall and Dierdra helped me out greatly to find a room for me! stayed in three different rooms during my stay and all three rooms were great! the hotel is in a awesome location! central to everything! the beds in all the rooms were great! I read some complaints about the
showers being too small! lose weight my fellow travelers! the showers were great with awesome hot water! as for breakfast it was great quality! my only complaint was the lack of fresh fruit! all in all a great stay!

Room Tip: the rooms vary in size and view! but for me they were all great even the ones that had limited view...
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
Niall and Deird... O, Owner at The Lodge, Doolin, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2016

Dear maris09,
Thank you kindly for taking the time to post a review.
We enjoyed your company and happy that you got plenty photo opportunities in these great surroundings. A photographers paradise for sure!
Apologies for the musical beds/rooms but certain rooms are often requested by our frequent returning guests, you were a good sport to be so accomodating and we were happy in return to be able to facilitate you.
Don't leave it so long again to return to Doolin!

There are newer reviews for The Lodge, Doolin

Reviewed 24 September 2016

Very comfortable lodge. Everything was clean and efficient. Excellent check-in with a helpful man. We loved the quaint town of Doolin.
The Lodge is in a great location for visiting the Cliffs of Moher and enjoying traditional Irish dining and music in the evening.
We enjoyed the breakfast the next morning and strolling along the main street. Cute shops to visit as well.

Room Tip: Our room was on the second floor of the tower part. Nice room.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear heradog,
Thank you for your recent review, we are happy to hear that everything was to your satisfaction.
Doolin is certainly a great location to use as a base to experience the wider Burren area and of course the nightly music sessions are fantastic.
Hopefully we will see you here on another occasion!
Kind Regards,

Reviewed 24 September 2016

The Lodge is a very nice, newer facility. We found it referred to as a Bed and Breakfast but would more associate it to an Inn based on set up. That being said, it was a wonderful stay with nice, clean, spacious rooms. It definitely had the comfortable 'lodge' feel. The staff were friendly and helpful. While parking is free and available, it is not marked and as it becomes fuller, may become confusing for some. Local restaurants/pubs and shops were within walking distance. The area is beautiful and worth the visit. We would recommend visiting the area and facility.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear CoesTravels,
Thank you for your kind review and nice comments about your rooms and our staff.
We are happy to hear that you will be recommending us!

Reviewed 20 September 2016

We stayed as a family of 6 in the Lodge and it was fantastic. Great price, great breakfast and fantastic and comfortable and clean accommodations. We booked only 1 night in our 14 day Ireland trip but wish we had stayed 10. Unfortunately we had reservations elsewhere and could not cancel without penalty. Beautiful surroundings and fantastic local pubs in walking distance. We hope to return next year.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family

Dear John B,
We are so happy to hear that you and your family had a great time here, yes, you definitely need more than one day to experience all that Doolin and its surrounds have to offer! It's a great place to be raising our family.
Hopefully see you next year!

Reviewed 18 September 2016 via mobile

Beautiful view in the morning and just a 5 minute walk to the main town area which is convenient if you plan to do the cliff walk with Pat Sweeney to the cliffs of Moher! The breakfast was delicious and the staff was really awesome! I will definitely come back here one day!

Stayed: September 2016

Dear Sbanks17,
Thank you for your kind review, we are so happy to hear you enjoyed your time here and found our staff awesome, we think they are too!
Delighted you did the walk with Pat, we highly recommend it, a great way to see the Cliffs and get a personal insight!
Hope to see you back again some day!

Reviewed 4 September 2016 via mobile

Grand spot. House divided into 3/4 detached & independant sections and has some self cstering apartments. More of a cross between a hotel/retreat centre/hostel than a B & B. Staff nice and friendly but but couldn't be described as a family run B&B. Large communal kitchen in our section of building which was handy. Doolin is a relatively small village and is central to Cliffs of Moher, Inis Oirr, Burren, Aliwee Caves etc. 3/4 pubs in vrry close proximity , a couple of restaurants and some cafes. Would advise to book restaurant as places are busy throughout the week during July & August. No need to book pubs as they can well cater for large crowds. Did feel that at €52.50 per person the B&B.was above norm in comparison to most places in Ireland. Rooms were clean and spacious but given the price would expect something of a higher standard and to be super modern. Lovely walk to Cliffs of Moher from Doolin - I would advise to drive half way, park and walk the rest of way. Also visited Inis Oirr. Enjoyed ourselves

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear Johnny F,
Thank you for your review, I'm glad you liked The Lodge and found your room clean and spacious. It is actually family run, there's me, my husband and our children, our oldest of whom probably served you breakfast!
Of course,we also have seasonal staff as do most places. The Lodge is a mixture of B&B rooms and self catering apartments which is exactly how it is advertised.
Just to comment on the price you paid, you used a third party booking agent which adds 15 percent to normal rates, had you booked your room directly with us, you would have paid EUR40-45 per person depending on what night of the week you stayed. I cannot control the price that you chose to pay.
I'm glad you experienced the Cliff walk, we are so lucky to have it right on our doorstep, it is truly amazing.
Thank you again for staying with us!

Reviewed 30 August 2016

The check-in was poor. Bed had dirty sheets and had not been changed, TV 2 pin plug wedged into a 3 pin socket (H&S?) WiFi not working in our room.
Overall the room was cold and unwelcoming,
On check-in we were not even told where breakfast was - overheard someone else being told. When I mentioned that the bed had not been changed they simply said "impossible" so on inspection they changed the sheets straight away. As there was only 2 plugs in the living area we were unable to use the heater and TV at the same time. No mention of a Guest Lounge ... or anything else for that matter.
We left a day early due to the above and on departure we asked the Man checking us out if he was the owner to which he replied yes... I then went on to explain that while I didn't want to appear rude I would like to mention a few things.... I was just contradicted saying the WiFi did work and the TV was ok .... no apologies forthcoming ! A lot more welcoming and warm and clean options available in Doolin.
NB. Should have read the reviews before I booked !

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family

Dear kkak2016,
Further to your review of our property, I would like to post this management response.
Despite emails back and forth between us, it seems that you are still unhappy, there are only so many times that one can be apologized to. Hopefully now that you have written your review and we have responded, you will finally be able to move on.
You were shown to our top floor apartment complete with lounge room, kitchen, bedroom bathroom, and walk out balcony, all free of health and safety issues! All our guests up to now have been very happy with this upgrade from a regular B&B room that they booked, you, however, were unaware that you even received an upgrade, surely after all your years in the business (which you have referred to constantly) you would know the difference between a guest room and a whole suite?
I'm not sure why you needed a second guest lounge? There are plenty of plugs for everything, the heater is rarely used as the underfloor heating is very effective.
I am not going to go through the whole rigmarole again as frankly I am tired of it.
What I will highlight though and what has irked us the most here was the way you treated our staff. My housekeeper is 52 years old and has been here for over 6 years. For you to stand over her as she changed bed linen and speak to her as you did is just not on, for you to insist that Kristian (working here for 5 years) should not enter your apartment unless you were there 'as you have alot of expensive items there' is also not on and finally for you to email me and I quote to 'give me the opportunity to comment prior to bad mouthing or spreading the word' is frankly just not nice.
We have wonderful staff here who enable us to have some form of family time during the season, without them, it would be impossible, we will not have anyone speak about them or directly to them in a derogative manner.
I think it was better all round that you decided to check out early, we are not used to bad vibes here and it wasn't nice to see Valery our housekeeper upset.
I'm glad you had a good time in Doolin village and I hope the rest of your break away with your daughter went well.
Deirdre & Niall O'Dwyer