All reviews belize river howler monkeys cave tubing mayan ruins last night continental breakfast close to the airport belize zoo our tour guide overlooking the river international airport free shuttle room was large the entire staff nice pool zip lining ambergris caye
Reviewed September 1, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights during our honeymoon. We came after spending about 6 nights at a resort on San Pedro, and we wished we could have stayed longer. Unlike other resorts, they don't try to nickel and dime you. All of the perks of the resort that are advertised are actually there, and are complimentary! You can just take a kayak out on the river without paying $2/minute! The staff is awesome, they completely made the trip for us. They were so friendly and accommodating - they arranged all our tours around our schedule, and we crammed in zip lining, cave tubing, and two ruins trips into about 2.5 days. Bev was great - I had left my camera charger at the other resort and she found a charger that matched my camera. They just went completely above and beyond. We love them and will definitely be back.

Reviewed August 27, 2011

Well I had the privilege of staying three nights at the resort with a delegation from Houston. I can't tell you how nice this place is. From Beverly at the front desk to Douglas the owner was great! The rooms are spacious and cool and the resort is also amazing. They are very eco-friendly and the grounds are filled with everything from huge iguanas, Parrots and howling monkeys. They all stay away from humans. It is also located right on the River and there are boat rides from the resort and five minutes into the ride you are in the jungle. Great place and we didn't have one bad meal there the entire 3 days.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed August 25, 2011

This place is clean and the whole staff is very friendly. If you are looking to have an adventure in Belize, this place will be perfect for you. My husband and I are both in our twenties and we were both looking for an adventure. We had chosen Belize to vacation but never planned our trip. That worked out just fine for us because the Black Orchid helped us plan our trip for us. It was very convenient for us because the resort would let us know what we were able to do in Belize and they would schedule it for us, provide a lunch and would drive us there and pick us up. Never did we have to wait for someone to pick us up. They were always timely. There are so many things that you can do there if you use this place as a base, as we did. We were able to zip-line, do tubing through caves, snorkel, explore the ruins and visit the local zoo. And I would highly recommend doing the ATM tour for your last days there (best thing we ever did there, although highly physical). There are a lot more tours that are available but we did as much as we can do for the few days we were there.

The staff was so warm and knowledgeable. They were very accommodating and provided us a free up-grade, which was a much-unexpected surprise. Convenience was not the only reason we loved it here. The rooms were affordable and our room was always clean. I’m very picky when it comes to clean sheets and I always check them before I hop into bed (I’ve had bad experiences in the past). These sheets passed the test This place was very quiet and relaxing. It is right next to the river so we got great views and spotted toucans, snakes, lizards and iguanas. Everyday is an adventure there.

The resort also has a restaurant, which is great because we were in the middle of the jungle and not many places to eat. The food was good. Some of the servers were better than others but all were friendly. It did seem like everyone took pride in their work, which defiantly showed. My husband and I are so very glad we found this place and we can't say enough good things about the staff there. Thank you Beverly and the rest of the staff for making it a wonderful trip for us. We will be back!
-R. Hyatt

Reviewed August 15, 2011

We decided to stay in one resort for the entire length of our first trip to Belize. Based on reviews on several sites, we chose the Black Orchid because we were interested in exploring the inland and were very happy with our choice. We spent 10 days there with few regrets. It has a very quiet, laid back atmosphere with impeccably groomed grounds (thanks Dennis) and a lovely comfortable small pool. If you are looking for night life and a party atmosphere, this is NOT the place for you but it was perfect for us. We chose one of the basic rooms without a river view. The rooms are very clean, quiet and comfortable with internet access. The hotel sits along the banks of the Belize Old River. We took advantage of the canoes and kayaks available for a liesurely cruise up the river and saw many birds and howler monkeys. The hotel is located in a rural area so dining options are extremely limited or non-existent if you do not rent a car. The food was tasty and sometimes delicious but choices limited. My husband loved everything. If you are a vegetarian be warned, your choices are extremely limited. I ended up eating the same meals over and over which was a disappointment. Service in the restaurant depended on which waitress you got, sometimes excellent often frustrating and slow. Language was an issue the few times I tried to order something without the meat, the dinner came with meat intact and had to be sent back. With the right waitress, I was able to order substitutions and the meals were delicious. The first part of our trip we shared the space with a very large mission group so we were often the last to be served even if we arrived before them.

The staff of Black Orchid ( sans one or two of the waitresses) is their greatest asset. Beverly Lind, the general manager is gem! She was always friendly, informative and made each guest feel like family. Janelle and Jose who run the front desk and book tours are both fantastic. We booked 7 days worth of tours and each was better than the last. On many of the tours, we were the only guests so we got one on one service. The resort uses small independent tour guides, all of whom were very professional and knowledgeable about their respective areas. They went out of their way to ensure a good experience for their guests. The highlights of our tours would be the Actun Tunichil Muknal (ATM) Cave, the Lamanai Mayan Ruins, and swimming with the Manatees on our snorkeling adventure ( which we loved so much that we did it twice.) On some tours, staff of the resort were our tour guides or drove us to certain locations. Lance, Jeremy and Ryan ( I hope I got their names right) were all very knowledgeable, friendly and accommodating. Everyone at the resort, in fact everyone we met, seemed to go out of their way to share their love of their country and deep pride in its history. We also rented a car from them on several days at very reasonable rates. Jose and Janelle gave us directions to several sites but mainly we drove without a plan. We found two Mayan sites on our own ( Cahal Pech and Altun Ha) and we were the only visitors, which is an awe inspiring experience.

We would highly recommend this resort, even with the few food issues I had, we loved every minute of our time there. Free transport to and from the airport is also a huge plus. Thanks again to Beverly and the wonderful staff!

Date of stay: July 2011
Reviewed August 15, 2011

This place came highly recommended by a friend who stayed at Black Orchid in March. My room was clean, cool and secure as was the rest of the facility. I felt safe and relaxed here! The FREE airport transfers are more than generous!!

• Trip type: Travelled solo